What's new

sheep_nova

Grand Master
Reaction score
Does any one who can fix the pcb in Columbus, OH (^^),if not, in the USA is also fine. high-pitched whine constantly

Thx

Attachments

• 14.png
    14.png
    891.9 KB · Views: 66
I was the buyer. I've tried 3 cabs - Egret 2, Blast, and Astro.

Same issues on each. Sprite glitches. Image gets a bit static-y like there's a sync issue, and a high-pitched whine that seems to fit with that idea.

Sound only works intermittently

Reactions: nem
It's really hard to capture in pictures, but see the "Push P1 Start" text glitching. There's also red & green pixel "static" visible in the black sections between bricks in the intro sequence, and it has a generally wavy/static-y image the issues persist during game play, but hard harder to get pictures of.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230305-111815.png
    Screenshot_20230305-111815.png
    368.6 KB · Views: 57
  • Screenshot_20230305-111841.png
    Screenshot_20230305-111841.png
    580.2 KB · Views: 56
  • Screenshot_20230305-111933.png
    Screenshot_20230305-111933.png
    815.1 KB · Views: 57
See comparisons of these two for pixels cutting out etc, wavy image

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230305-112029.jpg
    Screenshot_20230305-112029.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot_20230305-112618-869.jpg
    Screenshot_20230305-112618-869.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 50
I'd start with a Recap.... I've owned 3 of these boards and they all had horrid blown out audio due to bad caps... that could also be the culprit in terms of graphical noise.

of course these boards are also prone to battery leak and the first area to get eroded after the battery circuit is the Video ram and CPU

You could send your PCB to Ken at irepairsega.com he can change caps and try to find corroded traces for you.
Good thought! I sent him an email today. Hopefully he can work on this board.

I used to use Channelmaniac, but I know his queue got way too deep a while back and he may be out of the game.

I'd start with a Recap.... I've owned 3 of these boards and they all had horrid blown out audio due to bad caps... that could also be the culprit in terms of graphical noise.

of course these boards are also prone to battery leak and the first area to get eroded after the battery circuit is the Video ram and CPU
Appreciate the thoughts! Thankfully it looks like it has a CR2032 which has not leaked, and i don't see any evidence of corrosion.

If Ken determines something else is the issue, maybe I'll try to just get it recapped at the same time as repair.

Is it just the electrolytic (canister) capacitors, or are there any surface-mount caps that would need to be done?

I do know the battery on these boards destroy traces.

Will Ken just work on random PCBs, not just Sega stuff?

Good to know!

Will Ken just work on random PCBs, not just Sega stuff?

Good to know!
He's extremely proficient in Sega stuff yes, some Konami (installing audio modules for example, reflowing chips) and very good at trace repair but if something is corroded too much he will not spend any time on it, and nobody should in good conscience.

This was the first I'd learned of him working on anything other than Sega, but it seems he does. I got a response from him, which I'll share below. In short, it doesn't sound like it's repairable.

Ken gave me the OK to share his replies.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-07 at 1.02.36 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-07 at 1.02.36 PM.png
    187.3 KB · Views: 59
This was the first I'd learned of him working on anything other than Sega, but it seems he does. I got a response from him, which I'll share below. In short, it doesn't sound like it's repairable.

Ken gave me the OK to share his replies.

I live near Ken (talk to him a lot) and can at least have him look at my Crystal of Kings to compare yours to.

I live near Ken (talk to him a lot) and can at least have him look at my Crystal of Kings to compare yours to.
That's very nice of you! If Sheep Nova gives me the thumbs-up to send it in for potential repair, we may well take you up on that. That could at least help as a sanity-check to see if the main big square chip on mine is overheating, as Ken suspects.

Back