What's new

MoppelTheWhale

Grand Master
Reaction score
Hey guys,

today i recieved a Kyukyoku Tiger board which i bought. Unfortunately it doesn't work. I'm already in contact with the seller, but i figured perhaps somebody here has an idea what i could try.

The board box the board arrived in was a little beat up, but the board war really thoroughly packed.

When i connected the board to my cabs, simply nothing happend, no difference in sound, not even a flicker on the crt. looking at the voltages, when the psu of my blast city is tuned to 5.1v without a board attached the voltage on the jamma edge drops down to 4.54v. i tried to raise the voltage to 5v on the psu, but the maximum i can get is 4.9v.

More or less the same problem on my supergun and on my New Astro City.

I cleaned the jamma edge, and inspected the caps for leakage and did a quick visual check for cold solder joints but didn't see anything special.

Any ideas what i could look at?.

Any help would be great ||

thanks man!

i'll post a pic of the pcb later when i'm back from work, and then you tell me how to do that - i'm still pretty noobish when it comes to diagnosing i'm afraid...

Keep in mind this PCB has a long booting sequence during which it sits on a black screen for several seconds.I have a Twin Cobra I thought it was dead but then I found it was perfectly working.

Oh man, i feel incredibly dumb right now...

@caius you were right. I just tried again - i turned it on and went to the toilet, when i was back it was running ||

in an hour i'm on my regular lunch break, then i'll test it more thorough.

Back from my break and unfortunately it's still not working. I disconnected the board form my Blast City i tried it on earlier because thats my yoko cab and connected it on my NAC.

And again, nothing is working. i didn't do anything special, i've waited 3 minutes and nothing happened. Before i disconnected the board i started it up one last time and that boot tokk 15 seconds at the most.

Should i try reflowing something, or test continutity on any particular part of the board?

Man, this is frustrating ||

Probably a clean and reseat of any socketed components… There is a nice troubleshooting guide by @channelmaniac somewhere I think, but you at least have an intermittent issue to start with…

@stj i don't know could can you tell from a picture?

Attachments

• kyukyoku Tiger.jpg
    kyukyoku Tiger.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 60
The capacitor involved in /RESET circuit should be the tantalum one @C21, try to replace it.

ok, i'll probably have to order this one first - i don't have any tantalum caps in my stash

good morning, short update: i tried to desolder the tantalum cap to properly see its value, but couldn't get one leg out - probably the grounding plane. So i reapplied new solder.
Also, i checked the cables for continuity, because they look like they are from 1987 oder something ( ;)). For this i also had to remove the legs for the small pcb to get to the contacts of the wires.

Well, after this i figured, i could try again, and on second try i got it to boot. Since i finally wanted to have some play time with the board, i didn't move anything for the time and spend 2 hours playing without hitches.

I'll probably try renconnecting the board later today, my current presumtion is that reflowing the cap or moving the cables around did the trick.

(hopefully) final update: Now played the game for 2 eevenings, did multiple reconnects on the jamma edge, reattached the daughterboard and still all is working fine.

One day i'll need to deep clean the board, but today is not that day ;).

For now, again thank you so much for all your help guys!

Back