What's new

nihonmasa

Beginner
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I haven't played my Esp Ra De for ages and when I plugged it in I got those weird kind of lines, only on some square patterns.
Look at the pics attached.

Any idea on what I should check on the board or even who could fix that?

All connectors have been cleaned, and Eproms resetted.

Attachments

• 20210703_183240.jpg
    20210703_183240.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 97
  • 20210703_183252.jpg
    20210703_183252.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 99
  • 20210703_183328.jpg
    20210703_183328.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 92
I've had similar faults on other boards and it's typically a bad data line on one of the graphics ROMs. meaning either the ROM is bad or one of the near by logic ICs is bad (and hopefully not one of the graphics customs).

unfortunately the graphics ROMs are MASK ROMs and soldered in place.

usually I'll test by using MAME to identify which ROM the faulty graphics belong to and then burning an EPROM replacement and piggybaging it over the original chip to see if that resolves the issue. If so you can then de-solder the ROM and solder in a socket for the EPROM...

if this is over your head I'd recommend finding someone local to you who does repairs.

sadly even once repaired this will hurt the value of your PCB... such is the nature of these old game though.

Many thanks, unfortunately way out of my league.
Soldering is no sweat, but I have no EPROM burner and no idea how to diagnose that.

Value loss is ok, better than not working ;)

If anyone knows someone in EU that can do that?

If you can narrow down the mask ROM that is bad (by testing them one at a time in MAME to find one that causes the same problems) you can order an EPROM for under $10, so that's not hard. Once you have it, by piggy backing it, it should tell you if that will work or not. After that, you can find someone to do the soldering (or not, since it's no sweat for you)!

To order the EPROM, just send the MAME file to a company like hobbyroms.com or http://www.buyicnow.com/ser.php?i=1

Back