What's new

K0NAM1

Student
Reaction score
@Apocalypse can you share the DIP switch circuit please, I'm just exploring selector options, thinking out loud is each "on" DIP switch connecting 5v to a pin on the MCU on your multi PCB?

I'm guessing the @Frank_fjs selector used an onboard MCU to directly drive the relevant pin on the multi MCU?

Thanks!

Apocalypse

Staff member
Legendary
Reaction score
The dip circuit is dead simple, dipswithes simply toggle signals high or low. Each combination corresponds to one game.
From the header pin you have two rows of 5 pins, upper ones are all +5V, bottom ones go to the dipswitches.
If you leave everything unconnected all dips are 0. Then bridging one bottom pin with one upper pin changes the state to 1.

fafar10

Beginner
Reaction score
yes please . i gave one kit to a friend so i need 2 more for my others 16B games . thanks a lot

merrygoomba

Student
Reaction score
Yes,I’m also ordering that,thanks everyone for all your help and advice,I’ll let you know how it turns out once everything gets here.
Received the kit and the Eproms (from buyicnow.com) installed it and so far is working great!
sys161.jpg

sys162.jpg

sys164.jpg

sys165.jpg

sys169.jpg

sys166.jpg

sys168.jpg

sys167.jpg

Cooljerk

Student
Reaction score
Interesting - your Multi looks like a new board revision.
I noticed that as well, the dipswitch toggle has moved. I was told that there weren't going to be repair units available anymore so perhaps this is the fruit of that change.

Mitsurugi-w

Arcade Admini-Moderator
Staff member
Legendary
Reaction score
Interesting - your Multi looks like a new board revision.
I was going to post a few days ago about this but forgot. We have used all of the first revision pcbs up. The only ones left are units in need of repair. So there may still be a handful of repaired units available in the future.

What cooljerk has is what we are calling v1.5.1. He received one of the protos. Another member should have also received a proto this week. I sold these protos because they tested 100% and there are no more changes needed before I order the pcbs to finish our wait list. The remaining orders on the wait list will receive multis identical to cooljerks (except the cpld sockets will be brown).

I'd actually hoped to have the list done this month but Chinese new year caused the protos we ordered to take over a month to arrive. As soon as the new pcbs arrive I expect to finish the list very quickly. My nephew is already on standby to help.

So what changes have been made to the design and are there any changes to functionality. The first thing we decided to do was reduce the IC and part count. We did this by replacing the 5 gal chips with a single cpld. With v1 we could only ever get the old obsolete lattice 22v10c gals to work properly. Now we no longer need to source old chips and hope they work. New current chips can be used. This chip is programmed using a kit that plugs into the multi, therefore there is another header next to the dipswitch that is identical to the remote dip header. They are labeled so do pay attention if you use a remote dip assembly. Finally we decided to return the pcb to standard thickness. In our investigation of why we were having so many trace issues in assembled units, many times after they tested ok already, we found that the thicker pcb we thought we needed was contributing to the issue. I am using a selective wave soldering machine to assemble each multi in three sections back to back. This process requires a bit of flexibility in the pcb that the thicker pcbs could not handle. The seven v1.5.1 protos I assembled already preformed beautifully during the assembly with no issues found so far. We had also thought we needed the thicker pcb to support all of the eproms but it has been determined to not be necessary.

Is there any new functionality? No.

Chelnov

Student
Reaction score
Thanks for the Update! but all I heard is "As soon as the new pcbs arrive I expect to finish the list very quickly." I can't wait to get my multi for the 16 and get on that list for the system 18 :)

Thank you for everything you do!

dos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cannot wait to (youtube retard voice) SMASH THAT PAY NOW BUTTON

Cooljerk

Student
Reaction score
Never been happier to be a test subject haha. This has been happening a lot lately, I actually got in to be a guinea pig for the upcoming Virtual Boy flashcart a few weeks back. Definitely not complaining lol

meybarra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please put me down for a v2. I'll patiently wait for the sd card convenience. I just picked up a mute Altered Beast as my donor board.