What's new

BuddyC

Professional
Reaction score
Looking for US or JAP original Progear for CPS2. Send me a PM if you have one for sale.

Last edited:

undamned

Multi Baez
Champion
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
That's a confusing one. There certainly was never an arcade version called "gold." I think that was just what they called it for PS1.

SF Alpha == SF Zero

SF Alpha 2 != SF Zero 2

SF Alpha 2 != SF Zero 2 Alpha

So, the USA version is really a funky blend of it's own. It's been a while since I read all the differences, but do your homework and you'll find that it's not the same as either of the foreign iterations.
-ud

BuddyC

Professional
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! Found this info on Wikipedia, but since it Wikipedia it may not be true...
“Gold” was according to wikipedia the US name for Zero 2 Alpha

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CP_System_II

Street Fighter Zero 2 Alpha is the correct name?

Arcade

Street Fighter Alpha 2 was released under the title of Street Fighter Zero 2 in Japan, Asia, and South America. The American and European versions of Alpha 2 feature three additional characters who were not in the Zero 2 version: Evil Ryu and the EX versions of Dhalsim and Zangief.These three characters were selected by Capcom USA.

Capcom released an updated version of Zero 2 titled Street Fighter Zero 2 Alpha, which features all the additional characters from Alpha 2, as well as other changes to the game. In addition to Zangief and Dhalsim, Zero 2 Alpha also features EX versions of Ryu, Ken, Chun-Li, Sagat, and M. Bison, all of whom were characters from Street Fighter II′: Champion Edition. Custom Combos are now executed by pressing a punch and kick button of the same strength simultaneously and now require half (1½ level) of the Super Combo gauge filled to perform them. Some of the characters have gained new moves such as Ryu's Shakunetsu Hadouken and Dhalsim's Yoga Tempest. Zero 2 Alpha also features a survival mode, as well as a 2-on-1 Dramatic Battle mode similar to the hidden "Ryu and Ken vs. Bison mode" in the original Alpha. In the Japanese version of Zero 2 Alpha, Evil Ryu has different dialogue exchanges and a different ending from his regular counterpart.

undamned

Multi Baez
Champion
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
No spare progears, here :)

So, on arcade SF Alpha 2, here's the deal:

SF Alpha 2 USA/EUR has everything that is in SF Zero 2 + Evil Ryu, EX Dhalsim and EX Zangief.

SF Zero 2 Alpha has all characters from SF Alpha 2 USA/EUR + EX Ryu, EX Ken, EX Chun-Li, EX Sagat, and EX M. Bison. Beyond that, there were actual game engine changes, which is a reason that many US players don't like this version. You can find all changes here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_Fighter_Alpha_2#Arcade

So, which version did you want? :D
-ud

BuddyC

Professional
Reaction score
No Progear at all? Not even hidden away in your secret stash? :D
But seriously... Thanks for the info! I already got a USA SF Alpha 2, but think I want to go for a complete CPS2 collection. Gotta catch em all & shit +I love alpha 2.

My 20 infinikeys are due any day now..... It’s gonna be a resurrection party!

Beer + solder = fun! <3

undamned

Multi Baez
Champion
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
Nah, At one point I owned both JP and USA Progear, but amidst the CAVE collecting mayhem of yesteryear, I sold the USA kit when it was at a high point.

Cool, it's fun, once you get on a roll installing a bunch of InfiniKeys! When I did my collection, I first inventoried PCB revision of all the B boards so that I would know how many of them needed the extra power wires. Then I pre-cut/tinned the wires before-hand so it was a smooth operation the whole way.
-ud

BuddyC

Professional
Reaction score
When I did my collection, I first inventoried PCB revision of all the B boards so that I would know how many of them needed the extra power wires. Then I pre-cut/tinned the wires before-hand so it was a smooth operation the whole way.
-ud
sounds like a perfect evening after the kids go to sleep! :D

zero238

Grand Master
Reaction score

BuddyC

Professional
Reaction score
I guess patience is key. Thanks for the reply!

undamned

Multi Baez
Champion
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
I guess patience is key.
Yep. It's pretty random. Sometimes you'll see Progears pop up on YAJ a month apart and then there will be a drought for the rest of the year. I had the inverse problem with Powered Gear. Looking for a long time and then all of a sudden like 6 of them surfaced over a couple months.
-ud

BuddyC

Professional
Reaction score
Cool.I really don’t mind my daily check ins to ebay and YAJ so fingers crossed. @undamned Did you try the infinikey on your own Progear?

undamned

Multi Baez
Champion
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
Did you try the infinikey on your own Progear?

-ud