What's new
Item has been found

BuddyC

Champion
Reaction score
Looking for US or JAP original Progear for CPS2. Send me a PM if you have one for sale.

Last edited:
That's a confusing one. There certainly was never an arcade version called "gold." I think that was just what they called it for PS1.

SF Alpha == SF Zero

SF Alpha 2 != SF Zero 2

SF Alpha 2 != SF Zero 2 Alpha

So, the USA version is really a funky blend of it's own. It's been a while since I read all the differences, but do your homework and you'll find that it's not the same as either of the foreign iterations.
-ud

Thanks for the reply! Found this info on Wikipedia, but since it Wikipedia it may not be true...
“Gold” was according to wikipedia the US name for Zero 2 Alpha

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CP_System_II

Street Fighter Zero 2 Alpha is the correct name?

Arcade

Street Fighter Alpha 2 was released under the title of Street Fighter Zero 2 in Japan, Asia, and South America. The American and European versions of Alpha 2 feature three additional characters who were not in the Zero 2 version: Evil Ryu and the EX versions of Dhalsim and Zangief.These three characters were selected by Capcom USA.

Capcom released an updated version of Zero 2 titled Street Fighter Zero 2 Alpha, which features all the additional characters from Alpha 2, as well as other changes to the game. In addition to Zangief and Dhalsim, Zero 2 Alpha also features EX versions of Ryu, Ken, Chun-Li, Sagat, and M. Bison, all of whom were characters from Street Fighter II′: Champion Edition. Custom Combos are now executed by pressing a punch and kick button of the same strength simultaneously and now require half (1½ level) of the Super Combo gauge filled to perform them. Some of the characters have gained new moves such as Ryu's Shakunetsu Hadouken and Dhalsim's Yoga Tempest. Zero 2 Alpha also features a survival mode, as well as a 2-on-1 Dramatic Battle mode similar to the hidden "Ryu and Ken vs. Bison mode" in the original Alpha. In the Japanese version of Zero 2 Alpha, Evil Ryu has different dialogue exchanges and a different ending from his regular counterpart.

No spare progears, here :)

So, on arcade SF Alpha 2, here's the deal:

SF Alpha 2 USA/EUR has everything that is in SF Zero 2 + Evil Ryu, EX Dhalsim and EX Zangief.

SF Zero 2 Alpha has all characters from SF Alpha 2 USA/EUR + EX Ryu, EX Ken, EX Chun-Li, EX Sagat, and EX M. Bison. Beyond that, there were actual game engine changes, which is a reason that many US players don't like this version. You can find all changes here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_Fighter_Alpha_2#Arcade

So, which version did you want? :D
-ud

No Progear at all? Not even hidden away in your secret stash? :D
But seriously... Thanks for the info! I already got a USA SF Alpha 2, but think I want to go for a complete CPS2 collection. Gotta catch em all & shit +I love alpha 2.

My 20 infinikeys are due any day now..... It’s gonna be a resurrection party!

Beer + solder = fun! <3

Nah, At one point I owned both JP and USA Progear, but amidst the CAVE collecting mayhem of yesteryear, I sold the USA kit when it was at a high point.

Cool, it's fun, once you get on a roll installing a bunch of InfiniKeys! When I did my collection, I first inventoried PCB revision of all the B boards so that I would know how many of them needed the extra power wires. Then I pre-cut/tinned the wires before-hand so it was a smooth operation the whole way.
-ud

When I did my collection, I first inventoried PCB revision of all the B boards so that I would know how many of them needed the extra power wires. Then I pre-cut/tinned the wires before-hand so it was a smooth operation the whole way.
-ud
sounds like a perfect evening after the kids go to sleep! :D

I guess patience is key. Thanks for the reply!

I guess patience is key.
Yep. It's pretty random. Sometimes you'll see Progears pop up on YAJ a month apart and then there will be a drought for the rest of the year. I had the inverse problem with Powered Gear. Looking for a long time and then all of a sudden like 6 of them surfaced over a couple months.
-ud

Cool.I really don’t mind my daily check ins to ebay and YAJ so fingers crossed. @undamned Did you try the infinikey on your own Progear?

Did you try the infinikey on your own Progear?
ClassicBlackCanvasback-size_restricted.gif

-ud

Back