What's new
For Sale

Anubismachete

Student
Reaction score
Update: 7/8/2021. Sold for $1,000 locally.

Selling a CPS3 setup. All original, pretty clean, US version of 3rd Strike. Price based off completed eBay listings unless you have other points of reference.
Pics included below, $1200 gets free shipping within US. I’ve never shipped overseas so I’m not opening up free shipping to that.

Open to negotiations; trade offers but don’t get too extreme.

link to video showing version, and working:

View: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1069480717

Attachments

• 7B49D1D1-DF41-4080-BEC0-AA3E3ACC7942.png
    7B49D1D1-DF41-4080-BEC0-AA3E3ACC7942.png
    599.9 KB · Views: 134
  • 1C0528D7-ADCD-4480-A9F1-AD3F852208FA.png
    1C0528D7-ADCD-4480-A9F1-AD3F852208FA.png
    433.9 KB · Views: 131
  • F985F776-AAFF-429E-8F69-F5DA1E6992EB.jpeg
    F985F776-AAFF-429E-8F69-F5DA1E6992EB.jpeg
    153.7 KB · Views: 132
  • 5E5F0942-18F8-42FC-B0BE-ABFFF8BE7CAA.jpeg
    5E5F0942-18F8-42FC-B0BE-ABFFF8BE7CAA.jpeg
    170.6 KB · Views: 138
  • A767C2B3-DF6B-4334-8EB4-954107FC83AD.jpeg
    A767C2B3-DF6B-4334-8EB4-954107FC83AD.jpeg
    176.8 KB · Views: 136
  • 321176EF-BE35-4AB6-B56B-DB5C9BED4059.jpeg
    321176EF-BE35-4AB6-B56B-DB5C9BED4059.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 139
  • 93A5B61A-7E43-43D7-80C7-3FCD127CAB01.png
    93A5B61A-7E43-43D7-80C7-3FCD127CAB01.png
    636.2 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Having that seal still doesn't necessarily indicate that the battery is original. You can replace the battery by unfolding the case and not removing or tearing that seal.

eBay pricing is what it is... i would recommend going to eBay if you want to try to get max sale dollars. Don't forget though that they take 10% off the top of your sale.

glws, i am curious to see what this kind of setup goes for in the end. Usually it's a darksoft setup for sale these days.

Good to know on the battery. Figured this would be seen as a “collectors item” and didn’t figure the $1200 would stick. Mainly testing waters. Idk if it would be better to sell the security piece and SIMMS and DS it.

It is definitely more of a collector's item with the original security cart and CD. I am reasonably sure it's an upgraded NG or other earlier game because of that metal casing, but I could be wrong? There is usually a sticker right above the jamma edge that says the game the motherboard was originally for, but it's gone on yours.

I would offer it both ways... because whoever does want the security cart if they're that much of a collector there's a high probability they already have a cps3 setup. If the setup is darksofted it's then a lot more accessible to the standard hobbyist. Having to worry about the suicide battery and maintaining it is for advanced players only imo.

Especially with the way the pricing is going... i doubt a noob wants to put down around a G on a setup that could suicide itself. Unless they are planning to just darksoft it anyways, which is the wrong move on a working US 3s imo.

If someone wants to buy the whole setup then by all means, let them. I would just recommend selling the cart and CD to a collector who is comfortable with the maintenance... and sell the rest as a DS setup to a much larger audience.

Excellent info, the main reason I was keeping it together was due to it being the security cart, and clean CPS3. I was debating on keeping it and making a DS kit, especially with the ULTRA SIMM kit, but need to find a SUPERBIOS and a tutorial on how to suicide the batt if I did.

what would be a decent price to get for the security cart itself? And the SIMM from it as I wouldn’t need it anymore with getting the Mod?

There’s a market for Third Strike setups for sure… Maybe let it sit for a few days before investing money into making it into a multi.

Agreed. There's a market for both for sure; I have no doubts you could probably get exactly what you're asking if you were to split the lot and multi the mainboard with a repro cart, since most folks who are big into 3S probably already have a CPS3 setup by now, and are probably just looking for the card+disc as a showpiece. If you're just nuts for the CPS3, you probably invested in the new DS simms, and if you're more "modern" and want some of the new CPS3 metal cases, you've probably already switched to an SD card reader instead of using the disc drive. It might be a different story if you had the original box from a 3S kit to match with the rest of it, but that's still more of the same story- it's a showpiece and the market for that is much smaller than your average hobbyist or even TO.

Having just sold a US 3S, I can tell you there are people in the market for an original working one, to replace their multi, or rather than one.

Do you mind me asking how much it went for? I only have eBay completed for price references and wasn’t sure if this was “outrageous”

I paid $960.00 for my 3rd strike, complete and original, still on battery ( not on the original battery )but that was some time ago, I wouldn't take less than what I paid for it. $1G is fair IMO. Not sure how much you paid for yours but, I wouldn't sell it for less than that. I rather set my 3rd strike on fire than to sell it for less than $960

Last edited:
Do you mind me asking how much it went for? I only have eBay completed for price references and wasn’t sure if this was “outrageous”
protip: You an go to the arcade parts/PCBs thread, search "CPS3" and narrow it down to "this thread" only, and you can find the most recent sold listings here that way

I paid 40$ each for two 3S setups from a warehouse a couple years ago , wish I kept them . I’ve been Mega kicking myself in the ass over it

I paid 40$ each for two 3S setups from a warehouse a couple years ago , wish I kept them . I’ve been Mega kicking myself in the ass over it
Dam now that was a killer deal. Hopefully, they found a good home, can I ask what happen to them? and if you sold them he much did they go for?

One sold for 400 and I year or so later the other sold for 1000 in auction , was in metal case with multicart with disc drive and sf3s cd

Ah ah didn't want to answer because the condition of mine was not comparable : I think the label on the front of the cart was a repro, and the mobo had a couple of minor comestic issues.
Buyer was aware of these of course.
On the other hand it did include the original english version CD inlay, with the original CD (B version).
And no CD drive/no metal housing,

Having that seal still doesn't necessarily indicate that the battery is original. You can replace the battery by unfolding the case and not removing or tearing that seal.

eBay pricing is what it is... i would recommend going to eBay if you want to try to get max sale dollars. Don't forget though that they take 10% off the top of your sale.

glws, i am curious to see what this kind of setup goes for in the end. Usually it's a darksoft setup for sale these days.
eBay and Paypal combined take like 12.9%. I sold a $4000 vintage camera for a friend last year and the fees were around $515. If that shock wasn't bad enough, the buyer lived in Saudi Arabia so shipping was higher than what we had built into the auction. Auctions without "free shipping" tend to not sell any longer thanks to Amazon training us into thinking it doesn't cost anything. I know that calculated shipping can be built into the auction, but in my experience, it'll sell MUCH slower than offering "free" shipping. eBay sucks, but it does get the most eyeballs so it is what it is.

Back