What's new

nem

Legendary
Reaction score
I just found out there's an updated version to Great 1000 Miles Rally subtitled 'Evolution Model!!!'. It has two additional cars, some new graphics and samples. There's also an 'U.S.A. Version!'. How this version is different from Evolution, I don't know. The programs roms share very little between the two. Both versions are dated like four months after the first release (which I have).

There's six roms that are different to vanilla:

2x main program roms (gmmu1.bin, gmmu2.bin)
A rom that holds MCU data (mcu_code.u12)
2x sprite roms (gmmu64.bin, gmmu64.bin)
and an additional rom that holds samples (gmmu24.bin)

I burned the roms and placed them where they would logically go, but the game gets stuck on test 5 on boot.

Anyone else try it?

I have a USA version still in the original box from Kaneko. The board has been sitting for years and has curvature, I can test it but doubt it works. Could you use it for ROMS?

@twistedsymphony sent me pictures of his board. The ROM board on Evolution / USA is different from the one vanilla comes on. It has a different Kaneko custom too. Womp womp.

This has sent me researching A LOT about this hardware... so here is a public service announcement for those interesting in understanding the differences.

There are 3 games here
"1000 Miglia: Great 1000 Miles Rally"
- This is the first game in the series
- it shipped on the "ROM5" ROM board. with the "Toy Box Securty 01" protection chip
- it has only 1 steering wheel connector for use with a 360deg ("spinner") type steering wheel

gtmr1.jpg gtmr1_t.png

"Great 1000 Miles Rally: Evolution Model!!!" aka "Great 1000 Miles Rally: U.S.A Version!"
- This is the upgraded version, it's not just a new ROM revision, think of like the upgrade from Street Fighter 2 WW to Street Fighter 2 CE
-it shipped on the "ROM7" ROM board. with the "Toy Box Securty 02" protection chip
-due to the different security chip you CANNOT "upgrade" to this version with a simple ROM swap, at least not unless someone patches the security out of the game.
-It added a second steering wheel connector for 270deg ("analog pot") type steering wheel in addition to the original 360deg connector

gtmre.jpg gtmre_t.png gtmru_t.jpg

"Mille Miglia 2: Great 1000 Miles Rally" aka "Great 1000 Miles Rally 2 USA"
-This is the "second" game in the series
-it shipped on the "ROM-08" ROM board. with the "Toy Box Securty 02" protection chip
-it added a 3rd steering wheel connector (unsure of it's use) as well as another large connector (unsure of it's use)

gtmr2.jpg gtmr2_t.png gtmr2u_t.jpg

All of these games use the same "Motherboard" and due to how the ROM board connects on the bottom it makes it exceedingly difficult to tell the difference between the original GTMR and The "Evolution"/"USA" version when just looking at the PCB. Also note that the photos above are all taken from the bottom because it's impossible to tell the difference from the top (mobo) side.

So if you're buying this game keep these differences in mind and make sure you're buying the right one!
looking around the USA eBay seems full of the "Evolution"/"USA Version" and the original vanilla GTMR1 doesn't appear very common. But the opposite is likely true in Europe and Japan.

Last edited:
Back