What's new

theonegoku

Beginner
Reaction score
Good morning from Germany,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I am an American working as a software engineer in Germany and got the arcade itch. It's the tale told a thousand times of boy grows up with video games, boy discover console emulators, boy travels to japan and falls in love with arcades, boy finds arcade emulators, boy learns that they just don't compare to the real thing, and ends up spontaneously purchasing actual hardware. You know, the normal progression.

I am excited to start really learning about what makes these machines tick. I first gravitated towards the Taito Type X3, mainly because I was fascinated by Gunslinger Stratos, but didn't have the bravery, or friends, to try it out in public. I looked through the forums to understand what it would take to get one of these to work at home, and that led me to eBay. They were pretty pricey and I was a little hesitant, however during that hesitancy I was learning about the Sega Lindbergh Red (mainly because, other than my love of rhythm games, I like to play multiplayer games and 2spicy has always intrigued me) and saw they were going for a couple of hundred of dollars, but when I looked it up, there just so happen to be a Ghost Squad Evo Red going for cheap with 3 hours left Just for lulz I raised it by 1 dollar, not expecting anything and somehow it won. While waiting for it to be shipped, I continued learning more about I/Os, RFIDs, dongles, adapters, and all that good stuff and next thing thing I know I'm pulling the trigger on YAJ on a P&D Taito X3 and when it won I went ahead and grabbed a Theatrhythm for later use with it.

So all of this to say that I'm excited to be part of the community and to keep learning the specifics of these boards while building towards my goals. When all is said and done I would like to have the following in the cave downstairs for when friends can finally come over.

Gunslinger Stratos 3 (once I get everything working for 1, I will probably invest in a second): For this, I'm tracking that I will need card reader, gun peripherals, gun board, sensors, specific I/O.
2Spicy (Also if i get this running, i would like to get a second Lindbergh and link them together): I will have to see what the Lindbergh comes with in order to see what additional things I will need.
Theatrhythm: Touchscreen, Fast I/O, card reader. This may work out because I will need these things to get P&D to work when it arrives, regardless.

These are just the short-term goals. As I collect more I would like to build things with unique controls (Theatrhythm, Sound Voltex, Bishi Bashi) however, realistically, in the current cave all I have is a modded Arcade1up that I spontaneously bought to learn about Raspberri Pi's and custom controls. Unfortunately those are easy because I just drill some holes and attach the buttons to a USB encoder, however with the Sega and Taito Hardware, I think it will be a little different so I am excited to learn. If anyone needs any information in the field of programming (C#, Python)I am happy to help, I also had an old hobby of recreating physics based ticket games in Unity to better understand their engine, so feel free to ask and I can help:

View: https://youtu.be/c3Xw43pTUkI

View: https://youtu.be/egZUkibSNas

Have fun :)

- Theo

Welcome aboard to the best gaming community around. I've always had every question I've ever had answered here. You'll learn a lot by reading some of the technical threads. Feel free to reach out if you need anything, and don't forget to vote in my poles lol.

Back