What's new

TomBastable

Beginner
Reaction score
Hi There!

I've finally got the machine up and running, however I'm having an issue with the guns. When I point them at the screen in the marker test, both guns are showing as being in the top left corner when pointed at the middle. The X axis is also inverted. Both guns have identical behaviour, so it feels like it could be a calibration issue? The Dip Sw on the Gun Sense board is set to 50" (As it's a DX) and the second is on to indicate 10 LED's. Checked on my phone camera, all LED's seem to be working.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Best,

Tom

the "50 <=> 29" dip switch simply inverts the X-Axis... that's all it does

alternatively you could have your LED units chained together in the wrong order.

the order of the sensors is like this:
http://solid-orange.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/hotd4_leds_arrangment.jpg

where the "IN" connector on the "1" LED board plugs into the gun sense board, and 10 is the last board in the chain with nothing plugged into the "OUT" connector

Yes. Try calibrating them.
Thanks Nem - every time I try to calibrate them, the reticle doesn't show on the screen at all (Both guns). If I revert the calibration back to default, it then appears as described in the OP (offset in the corner, inverted etc). Tried one gun at a time plugged into P1 too - both guns have identical behaviour.
the "50 <=> 29" dip switch simply inverts the X-Axis... that's all it does

alternatively you could have your LED units chained together in the wrong order.

the order of the sensors is like this:
http://solid-orange.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/hotd4_leds_arrangment.jpg

where the "IN" connector on the "1" LED board plugs into the gun sense board, and 10 is the last board in the chain with nothing plugged into the "OUT" connector
Thanks man! I've tried switching the dip switch, same behaviour in either position.
The reason for my late reply is because I was checking the LED order - they match the photo. In fact it looks untouched / original (no marks on the front-facing screws in the slightest).
It feels like either both guns are faulty, or the gun sense board? Just from the symptoms and matching behaviour with both guns I'm leaning toward the gun sense board...what do you guys think?

there's a lot of complexity in these systems and HOTD4 is even more complex than the other ones. there are a number of interfaces between the gun and the sens board and even more between the sense board in the game, and the fault could be anywhere along that chain.

if it were me I would start by looking at the raw analog data in the JVS IO test on the Lindbergh and if that's not showing any movement then put a scope on the analog output of the gun sense board.... along with inspecting the harnesses and interface boards between the gun sense and JVS IO, and mabe taking apart the guns and inspecting the gunhoses for damages and indications of shorts.

Quick update on this:
Simply turned out to be a faulty gun sense board. I spoke to Ken at irepcairsega.com and he said it's a faulty SMD by the dipswitch causing it. On later boards apparently this is totally unrepairable, but on older boards it's a fairly easy fix.

Back