What's new

Frank_fjs

Multi Boyz 4 Lyfe
Legendary
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
  1. Download this rom pack: https://archive.org/download/everdrive-packs/Darksoft STV Roll-Up Pack 2019-09-13.7z
  2. Extract above file to an SD card. The main folders of importance are "games" and "SOUNDS". Don't alter the structure of the folders in any way. Insert the SD card into your STV multi cart.
  3. Buy the LCD games selector: ST-V multicart game selector with LCD screen
  4. Buy some wire, get some DuPont style jumper wires, get the soldering iron out and make some connections as follows:
STV MULTI PINS.jpg

• P1 of the LCD selector is the power lines. This power needs to come from either the STV motherboard or the STV multi cart. You need +5V and GROUND.
  • P4 and P5 of the LCD selector. You only need one of them, they're both the same, take your pick. Make a connection from either of these points to the STV multi cart pad labelled above as '4. RESET FOR LCD SELECTOR'.
  • The pad of the STV multi cart labelled above as '6. RESET FOR STV MOTHERBOARD' needs a wire soldered to it and connected to the STV motherboard of IC12 - PIN 8.
  • Remove the 6 black plastic jumper shunts from the STV multi cart and run a 12 pin ribbon cable (6x2) from the STV multi cart to connector P2 of the LCD games selector. Pay attention to orientation and PIN 1. Typically ribbon cables indicate PIN 1 with a marked wire. PIN 1 of the STV multi cart is located to the far left closest pin towards you (where there's a +1 written on the silkscreen and R62). PIN 1 of the LCD selector is on the far right closest towards you and marked in the picture below.
  • If you want two audio sounds to play through your arcade cabinet / TV speakers, one to indicate the beginning of loading a game (start.wav) and the other to indicate when the game has finished loading (end.wav), do the following...
    • You need to solder a wire to the pad of the STV multi cart labelled above as '3. AUDIO OUT'. On the opposing end of this wire you need to run a 100 Ohm resistor in series followed by a 1uF capacitor (voltage isn't crucial). The + leg of this capacitor goes towards the end of the STV multi cart. The negative end of this capacitor is then soldered to PIN 13 of the audio amp of the STV motherboard. You don't need to solder the negative capacitor lead directly to PIN 13 of the audio amp, you basically make a wiring harness.
    • The SOUNDS folder needs two files, one named start.wav and the other named end.wav
    • There's a bunch of sounds pre-loaded in the download pack, unfortunately most of them haven't been converted properly and DO NOT WORK. Some do work however, so before pulling your hair out and thinking you've done something wrong, try some different audio files out.
    • See here for instructions on how to prepare your own audio files: https://www.arcade-projects.com/for...with-the-stv-cart-start-and-stop-sounds.2935/

STV MULTI LCD.png
STV MULTI AUDIO.png

I'll further flesh this out over time...

Thank you! Still have the display waiting for me to install it, this helps a lot! :)

If we don't want the screen and are fine with jumpers, this thing is pretty much plug and play - right?

If we don't want the screen and are fine with jumpers, this thing is pretty much plug and play - right?
It is but you'll find yourself at least wanting to install the reset line. This way the system auto resets and loads the game.

Without the wire you need to power off, manually position the jumpers, power on, wait for game to flash, power off once game is flashed, power on to load game.

Thanks @Frank_fjs - i am going to get my STV-Multi out this evening and check it against this.... I have never been able to get the reset working correctly - so good time to test!

Reset didn't work for me initially following the LCD instructions. Follow what I've written here and it will work.

Power on, scroll through a game on LCD, load it, system will hold reset whilst game is being flashed, once game is flashed reset is released and the game loads. Easy as.

Brilliant @Frank_fjs! All working...

Now what would be awesome is for @Arthrimus to make a similar "quick solder' template for this like he did for CPS2 that brings those out to a header on the side of the card... :)

Matt
Sorry, I don't have an STV setup and I definitely don't have an STV multi, so I'm not your guy for this one. That being said I'd encourage someone who does have such a setup to take up this effort. Looking at the current install method, there could definitely be some quality of life improvements made.

@Arthrimus - what software do you use to make the templates? I wouldn't mind giving it a go - never done it before, but love to learn new stuff!

Matt

It's a jungle of wires, that's for sure.

I don't own the multi either and don't think I ever will, I've just been installing them for friends.

Once you have the multi and extras it's pretty much tethered to the STV motherboard in a semi permanent way.

I entertained the idea of creating an OLED based selector but honestly for a product I don't own it's not worth the effort. My main focus though would have been on better cable management. Ultimately my goal would have been implementing a wireless solution. So the brains of the selector would dock directly to the multi cart and interfacing with it would be done wirelessly via a battery powered transmitter.

Pity the STV multi doesn't have headers for basic things like power and reset. It has pads but header pins you can insert DuPont connectors into would have been better.

@Arthrimus - what software do you use to make the templates? I wouldn't mind giving it a go - never done it before, but love to learn new stuff!

Matt
I use DipTrace. I like it a lot, but I'm not sure it's actually the best option, it just happens to have been the first one I tried. It's easy to learn, but it might become difficult if you try collaborate with others in the future due to DipTrace's proprietary file formats.

1. Download this rom pack: https://archive.org/download/everdrive-packs/Darksoft STV Roll-Up Pack 2019-09-13.7z
  2. Extract above file to an SD card. The main folders of importance are "games" and "SOUNDS". Don't alter the structure of the folders in any way. Insert the SD card into your STV multi cart.
  3. Buy the LCD games selector: ST-V multicart game selector with LCD screen
  4. Buy some wire, get some DuPont style jumper wires, get the soldering iron out and make some connections as follows:
STV MULTI PINS.jpg

• P1 of the LCD selector is the power lines. This power needs to come from either the STV motherboard or the STV multi cart. You need +5V and GROUND.
  • P4 and P5 of the LCD selector. You only need one of them, they're both the same, take your pick. Make a connection from either of these points to the STV multi cart pad labelled above as '4. RESET FOR LCD SELECTOR'.
  • The pad of the STV multi cart labelled above as '6. RESET FOR STV MOTHERBOARD' needs a wire soldered to it and connected to the STV motherboard of IC12 - PIN 8.
  • Remove the 6 black plastic jumper shunts from the STV multi cart and run a 12 pin ribbon cable (6x2) from the STV multi cart to connector P2 of the LCD games selector. Pay attention to orientation and PIN 1. Typically ribbon cables indicate PIN 1 with a marked wire. PIN 1 of the STV multi cart is located to the far left closest pin towards you (where there's a +1 written on the silkscreen and R62). PIN 1 of the LCD selector is on the far right closest towards you and marked in the picture below.
  • If you want two audio sounds to play through your arcade cabinet / TV speakers, one to indicate the beginning of loading a game (start.wav) and the other to indicate when the game has finished loading (end.wav), do the following...
    • You need to solder a wire to the pad of the STV multi cart labelled above as '3. AUDIO OUT'. On the opposing end of this wire you need to run a 100 Ohm resistor in series followed by a 1uF capacitor (voltage isn't crucial). The + leg of this capacitor goes towards the end of the STV multi cart. The negative end of this capacitor is then soldered to PIN 13 of the audio amp of the STV motherboard. You don't need to solder the negative capacitor lead directly to PIN 13 of the audio amp, you basically make a wiring harness.
    • The SOUNDS folder needs two files, one named start.wav and the other named end.wav
    • There's a bunch of sounds pre-loaded in the download pack, unfortunately most of them haven't been converted properly and DO NOT WORK. Some do work however, so before pulling your hair out and thinking you've done something wrong, try some different audio files out.
    • See here for instructions on how to prepare your own audio files: https://www.arcade-projects.com/for...with-the-stv-cart-start-and-stop-sounds.2935/

STV MULTI LCD.png
STV MULTI AUDIO.png
The link does not work.

Could someone help me?

Thanks and best regards.

Right! I can't access the roll-up pack link also.
@pochinga
You can shoot me a pm.
I got the pack files before.

Forgive my noobness, I wanted to confirm pin 8 on IC12. It’s this one circled in this picture, is that right?

80EE82AE-27DC-4F98-8A3F-D7A28A773A27.jpeg

Also, is it possible to drop a pin down into that hole just below that pin on the IC instead, then attach a DuPont jumper to it?

Any help is much appreciated!

Back