What's new
A

Apocalypse

Having one small problem with my multi. The voice samples and credit sound are not playing properly in games such as Ninja Spirit and pound for pound. Also noticed the death sound in Tonma is not playing. Board was originally a JP Image Fight. Is this a board component malfunction or a potential multi install issue? Having problems troubleshooting by converting back to the original ROMs as I don't believe Image Fight utililizes these samples. Any ideas/help much appreciated.
All games but R-Type have samples. You can test them in service mode.

Crunch

Beginner
Reaction score
Someone else had this issue and it was the cables coming from the volume pot.

See here.
Mine actually has that cable and it is hooked up, however the samples are just static noise...if I run with the cable unhooked I get nothing.

Would any part on the multi affect samples in all games or should I chock this up to a failing sound area for repair?

@Apocalypse I definitely should've tested that before installing the kit, do you think it's worth disassembling to stock Image Fight with the above symptoms?

Last edited:

AlxUnderBase

Champion
Reaction score
Having one small problem with my multi. The voice samples and credit sound are not playing properly in games such as Ninja Spirit and pound for pound. Also noticed the death sound in Tonma is not playing. Board was originally a JP Image Fight. Is this a board component malfunction or a potential multi install issue? Having problems troubleshooting by converting back to the original ROMs as I don't believe Image Fight utililizes these samples. Any ideas/help much appreciated.
Update the ROM6 again ... if you have possibility to rewrite that file on another m27c160 , you should be ok . I think the eeprom used previously can be faulty

Last edited:

Crunch

Beginner
Reaction score
Update the ROM6 again ... if you have possibility to rewrite that file on another m27c160 , you will be ok . I think the eeprom used previously can be faulty
I burnt that eeprom on a M27C322 not a m27c160, could that be the issue? I'll have to order a new one as I don't have a writer.

I realized I didn't take a picture of my jumper settings when it was an Image Fight (doh!) So I'll try that first, thanks!

AlxUnderBase

Champion
Reaction score
I burnt that eeprom on a M27C322 not a m27c160, could that be the issue? I'll have to order a new one as I don't have a writer.

did the multi comes with eeproms inserted in every slot (i know multi is sold with needed eeproms too, but of course you can purchase without eeproms and then source by yourself what are you need) ? Who writes you the eeproms for multi sir? For U6 is needed 1 x M27C27160 . of course , you can use the 27c322 ones for that location , but the file used must be concatenated (doubled) and writed on 27c322 , only this way you will have the samples :happy:

ps : since i'm a noob , my only advice witch can be taken as advice is to write ROM6 from U6 position on an 27c160

Last edited:

Thchardcore

Professional
Reaction score
Just got around to installing my v2 kit ordered back in late June 2019. Running into some issues that I hope someone can help me with.

What I have done:
1. Everything was aligned properly RE pins for both boards, jumpers are set correctly.

2. Roms were burned by a local arcade tech. I gave him the below:
M72 File List.PNG

3. I have two GAL/PAL chips that came with the kit. This is where they are currently sitting.

a) Apocalypse (forgive me!) Multi top board with GAL (Lattice). The GAL file above was burned to this chip:
GAL on Multi Top Board.jpg

b) M72 Mother top board with PAL? (Atmel):
PAL on M72 Mother Top Board.jpg

This is what I see on boot. M72 motherboard dips are all set to off and all multi dips set to off. I tried other multi dip settings are just get variations of the below:
You got fail.jpg

I guess I will try reburning the ROMs, since the set is outdated as is, but wanted to know if anything looks off to you. Curious if it might just be the GAL/PAL stuff.

Please let me know who to be mad at. =O

Last edited:

Mitsurugi-w

Arcade Admini-Moderator
Staff member
Legendary
Reaction score
Is that the newest rollup pack? If so you were correct to burn the pal for the multi kit (made by Apocalypse not DS btw ;) The pal for the main pcb does not need to be programmed.

However, your MCU is out of date as well if you are using the newest rollup with Pound4pound support and needs to be reprogrammed by me.

Thchardcore

Professional
Reaction score
It appears to be the 2019-10-20 v4.1 rollup pack based on when I sent the files to be programmed.

Just noticed something after undoing all the standoffs - my rom #6 is a 27322 and not a 27C160. I thought it would still boot, but I guess not.

I will contact you regarding buying a new MCU. Thank you sir!

AlxUnderBase

Champion
Reaction score
It appears to be the 2019-10-20 v4.1 rollup pack based on when I sent the files to be programmed.

Just noticed something after undoing all the standoffs - my rom #6 is a 27322 and not a 27C160. I thought it would still boot, but I guess not.

I will contact you regarding buying a new MCU. Thank you sir!
- Give me a sign if you need the files
- in theory , i think the #6 file can be doubled and the result can be writed on 27c322 .

Thchardcore

Professional
Reaction score
Rom 6 MUST be a 27c160. The multi design does not allow a 27c322 to be used there.
Thank you. I see my fault now. I will get this reburned with proper type and update #2 for the latest set while I am there.

I take it the MCU is fine then?

Mitsurugi-w

Arcade Admini-Moderator
Staff member
Legendary
Reaction score
I'm not really sure what version is on your mcu tbh.

Thchardcore

Professional
Reaction score
No worries. My fault for taking forever to install it. I'll try with the proper roms first and then let you know if I am still running into any issues.

Thchardcore

Professional
Reaction score
I tried again with updated Rom 2 on a C332 and Rom 6 on proper C160. No dice. Same blocks on screen. Swapped GAL and PAL on motherboard/apoc multi top board. Again, no dice.

20220108_155315.jpg20220108_155018.jpg20220108_155318.jpg20220108_155821.jpg

@Mitsurugi-w Before I order a whole set of roms to rule out bad burns, is it possible to order another MCU and gal from you or ship you my old ones?

Thanks,

Last edited: