What's new

Mackie

Student
Reaction score
If nothing happens when you push the A/B buttons and it just shows the voltage screen on the OLED, it has halted because it doesn't like the input voltages.
Indeed nothing happen at all when I push the A/B buttons at all.
Even if voltage reading seems fine.

Mackie

Student
Reaction score
0DE1CC61-D691-4DEB-9C79-36D982B71923.jpeg

Mackie

Student
Reaction score
Note that I’m not using the ram (as I still wait for it to be delivered), but I would have expected to at least see the menu.

invzim

Champion
Reaction score
@Mackie 5.17 on 5.0V rail is a tad hot, dial it down a little and it should boot fine. Next version of the firmware will give you better feedback for this condition.

Mackie

Student
Reaction score
It worked. Thanks.
Now I need to look at setting the controls.

Mackie

Student
Reaction score
Yeah I launched ddp as it can launch without the ram. And it worked. I’ll wait to receive the additional ram to setup things.

Anselmo

Professional
Reaction score
Got my expander up and running today, install was pretty straightforward and it just worked right out of the box. The update all script seems to not have uploaded the neo geo cores and cps2 cores, but I was able to play some cps1 titles and some other stuff and it was pretty good. A little cumbersome, but I guess that's MiSter currently. It's a tradeoff to have a nice library of games that play better than a Pandora's box on one device. One thing I did notice is some games coined up right away and some didn't. Is that a known thing?

Murray

Grand Master
Reaction score
Got my expander up and running today, install was pretty straightforward and it just worked right out of the box. The update all script seems to not have uploaded the neo geo cores and cps2 cores, but I was able to play some cps1 titles and some other stuff and it was pretty good. A little cumbersome, but I guess that's MiSter currently. It's a tradeoff to have a nice library of games that play better than a Pandora's box on one device. One thing I did notice is some games coined up right away and some didn't. Is that a known thing?

- Run the update_all script again
- As soon as the script starts push the joystick up, it will open the update settings
- goto jotego core and enable beta updates. CPS2 is still considered beta, but it's public beta. There are other beta cores you will get that you will see but when you try to play them they will give you an overlay on the screen saying you need to be supporter and they won't work. It's just the way jotego manages his beta cores. There a public and non public betas. Cps2 is a public beta core so it will work. Run the update all again after enabling the beta option it will do all the cps2 stuff.

Here';s a video.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alcKBAxl82k

As for Neo Geo, this is considered a console core. Check your console folder for NEO GEO it should be there, no games though. The way Neo Geo runs is different to the arcade cores. You don't select a game and then it runs the game for you, you first run the neo geo core, think of it like a program running, and then you load games from within that core that's running, it's just an extra step.

So run the neo geo core from console folder, then you can load a rom, but there will be no roms.

Grab @MiSTer Pack Add-on - NEOGEO 2020-05-12.zip (you can also use the darksoft pack but i haven't tried that yet)
https://archive.org/download/htgdb-gamepacks

This torrent works and is MUCH faster than archive.org, just unselect all the other stuff to download just what you want. (click the magnet to open torrent magnet link)
https://cn.bt4g.org/magnet/61fdcd821db6653b724d1a4e9747f0711e0b0fb4

The rom pack i used seems to be missing some stuff, but i'm sharing what i've done so far here so...

Once you download the @MiSTer Pack Add-on - NEOGEO 2020-05-12.zip file, you just grab the .neo files and put them on your de10nano microusb in the /games/neogeo folder, just drop them all in there, no sub folder.

Then when you goto neo geo core now, and load rom you should see the games.

Short version:
Grab @MiSTer Pack Add-on - NEOGEO 2020-05-12.zip from archive.org or torrent
copy .neo game files to de10nano microusb in /games/neogeo folder
run neo geo core from console folder and select load game.

done

I went through all this yesterday and trying to work out the same thing so it's fresh still!

Anselmo

Professional
Reaction score
Yo! Thanks for the detailed write up. I ran into another issue, since I configured the mister to use a CRT, now when I plug it in to my PC monitor via hdmi to re run the update script I don't get any picture at all on the screen. It's like it's not outputting any hdmi picture...it can't do both? Do I have to reconfigure it to output specifically for hdmi?

Murray

Grand Master
Reaction score
Yo! Thanks for the detailed write up. I ran into another issue, since I configured the mister to use a CRT, now when I plug it in to my PC monitor via hdmi to re run the update script I don't get any picture at all on the screen. It's like it's not outputting any hdmi picture...it can't do both? Do I have to reconfigure it to output specifically for hdmi?
I also had this issue, you can run the update script on the crt. You can just see enough to wing your way through.

I think to make it work on LCD again you have to revert these two settings in the ini_settings.sh script.

The composite_sync and direct_video. Just change it back to what it was default i think and that will let you run your lcd again, but you don't need to to run the update_all script, i did it on my 15k crt.

osite_and_direct_video.png.pagespeed.ic.8PP0brz5v0.png

digitron

Professional
Reaction score
@invzim Looks like the jamma edge needs to be powered on before the usb powered hub. Is there a way to change the behavior (disable) via firmware update / menu option or something? I'm assuming this is part of the voltage guard thing?

Aurich

Champion
Reaction score
goto jotego core and enable beta updates. CPS2 is still considered beta, but it's public beta. There are other beta cores you will get that you will see but when you try to play them they will give you an overlay on the screen saying you need to be supporter and they won't work
There's an easy fix to make them work though. ;)

https://www.patreon.com/topapate/

Just saying, if you can addord to pay for cool hardware you can afford to throw a few bucks at the people making the software work. Consider being a patreon for a bit, $5 a month for a year only $60, cheaper than any hardware any of us buy around here.

HornheaDD

Student
Reaction score
Im curious, but has anyone had issues with flipping screens on vert games?

Like with Mercs and the 194X games, I'm able to flip the screen, but not rotate. And even if I go into the dip settings on something like Mercs, it does nothing. I don't know if my Blast will 'tate, but I honestly prefer not to do so if I don't have to. I honestly don't think this is a Irkenlabs issue, I think it's the MiSTer. It was working before when I had the device set up in my living room. But I can't seem to get it to rotate while in my cab.

Zepherino

Student
Reaction score
Afaik rotation only works in digital/higher resolutions and you need to manually rotate your screen. Whenever I had my analog IO board attached and dual output a game, it would rotate on HDMI correctly, but stay put on VGA to my BVM. The output resolution would need to be downscaled to fit and have the scanlines in the wrong direction, so it probably wouldn't look very good either if it did work.

Blast Cities do support rotation, but its a rather annoying process, and almost certainly a 2 person job. I also recommend work gloves, since you need to support the weight of the monitor from a 1.5-2mm thick piece of metal right on your fingers when you lift and pull the monitor out.

Last edited:

invzim

Champion
Reaction score
@invzim Looks like the jamma edge needs to be powered on before the usb powered hub. Is there a way to change the behavior (disable) via firmware update / menu option or something? I'm assuming this is part of the voltage guard thing?
WIth the current firmware, jamma edge needs power first, which then powers the DE10, which ultimately powers the expander.
I don't guard the voltages, it's only warnings/notifications. I'm leaning towards discouraging 'creative setups' (as I don't want the support :) ), but can probably make it configurable by editing the .ini file you get when you save the config on the Expander.

I'm making a few smalls changes for an updated firmware, so all input is welcome and appreciated.

What's the use-case?

digitron

Professional
Reaction score
WIth the current firmware, jamma edge needs power first, which then powers the DE10, which ultimately powers the expander.
I don't guard the voltages, it's only warnings/notifications. I'm leaning towards discouraging 'creative setups' (as I don't want the support :) ), but can probably make it configurable by editing the .ini file you get when you save the config on the Expander.

I'm making a few smalls changes for an updated firmware, so all input is welcome and appreciated.

What's the use-case?

ini file config would be fantastic :) use-case = powered usb-hub has to be turned on manually after powering on the cab, would be nice to have the cab and usb-hub on the same power switch. Not a big deal. Currently I'm powering on the cab, waiting a few seconds then powering on the usb-hub. Routed a powered usb-hub through the rear of the cab, I have external usb ports for wifi updates, keyboard, and gamepad. It's very practical and easy to manage the Mister this way, never have to open the cab.

Last edited:

Aurich

Champion
Reaction score
If you want to play vertical games you gotta tate, and if you only have one cab and you don't want to go through the effort I do not blame you.

But vertical games on a proper vertical monitor are great. I really appreciate the ability to rotate the main Mister menu, makes it much easier to use on a tated cab.