What's new

koki

Student
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I just got an old Japanese cocktail cabinet as in picture.
After some chasis servicing and PSU swap, I tested with CPS2 and MVS, they runs quite well except 2 issues;
1) Sound vanishing - This cab use no amplifier, I just connected speaker directly to L, 10 from jamma edge. It used to have sound but vanising few days later.
I checked speaker, MVS motherboard and two wires with multi-meter. They all are in working condition. But when connected together, nothing came out from speaker. So weird.
2) When I connect CPS2 to cab, the fan on A-board not working. The game running flawlessly with same sound issue. How to get the fan to work?
Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

image0.jpeg

Last edited:
1.) For your speakers, are you getting any kind of hum or background buzzing after firing up a game? When you "checked with a multimeter", what did you do? Just check for continuity between the speakers and your jamma edge? You may want to also check to see if your speakers have a resistance value labeled on them somewhere and check that as well. If you get a reading that's too far away from what's labeled, it's time to look for some replacements.

2.) You have a few options on the CPS2 fan. On one hand, it's pretty common for CPS2 fans to kick the bucket over time- especially since a lot of them haven't been maintained; collecting dust and buildup, etc. Feel free to crack open the A board and give it a good dusting; should just be a little two-prong connector that you can unplug and separate from the A board, so it's easy to clean and reseat if you want to try using it again. If it does work and you wanna use the stock fan while also keeping the noise down, you can splice the wire that's usually used for powering the fan to a 5v line to run it at a slightly slower speed. More than safe to do without fear of overheating/buildup if you're just using it for a casual home setting.

MY recommendation though is just to replace it. It's cheap, easy, and they're all old enough at this point to warrant it as a good future investment anyways. (though in your case, it looks like you've got A LOT of fans to replace lol). Here's the fan I put in all my CPS2's, but any 60mm x 15mm should do the trick:

Amazon: Gelid silent 6

1.) For your speakers, are you getting any kind of hum or background buzzing after firing up a game? When you "checked with a multimeter", what did you do? Just check for continuity between the speakers and your jamma edge? You may want to also check to see if your speakers have a resistance value labeled on them somewhere and check that as well. If you get a reading that's too far away from what's labeled, it's time to look for some replacements.

2.) You have a few options on the CPS2 fan. On one hand, it's pretty common for CPS2 fans to kick the bucket over time- especially since a lot of them haven't been maintained; collecting dust and buildup, etc. Feel free to crack open the A board and give it a good dusting; should just be a little two-prong connector that you can unplug and separate from the A board, so it's easy to clean and reseat if you want to try using it again. If it does work and you wanna use the stock fan while also keeping the noise down, you can splice the wire that's usually used for powering the fan to a 5v line to run it at a slightly slower speed. More than safe to do without fear of overheating/buildup if you're just using it for a casual home setting.

MY recommendation though is just to replace it. It's cheap, easy, and they're all old enough at this point to warrant it as a good future investment anyways. (though in your case, it looks like you've got A LOT of fans to replace lol). Here's the fan I put in all my CPS2's, but any 60mm x 15mm should do the trick:

Amazon: Gelid silent 6
1) When firing up a game, NO buzzing at all it completely quiet. and yes, I have checked speaker itself with continuity mode it results 8 OHMs exact with labelled on speker (3W / 8 OHMs). Also it has some buzzing when attached multimeter on it.

2) I have plenty of CPS2 A boards. This one's fan is working when on others cab. Only this cocktail cab which it's not working.

Are you getting 12v at the Jamma edge? I'm pretty sure that the sound amp and the fan run on 12v in the CPS2.

Last edited:
seconding that. I assumed after you mentioned a PSU swap your voltages would be well and good, but sometimes even after adjusting the 5v, the 12v can end up in the high 11s

Are you getting 12v at the Jamma edge? I'm pretty sure that the sound amp and the fan run on 12v in the CPS2.
seconding that. I assumed after you mentioned a PSU swap your voltages would be well and good, but sometimes even after adjusting the 5v, the 12v can end up in the
There's a -5V on switching which have problem (checked with multimerter). But as I know -5V irrelevant with MVS at all. But I'll tried to change a new PSU anyway.
Thanks for your help

Problem solved!
As you guys pointed out that problem is PSU related. So I double checked and found that +12V's (3 amp) glass cartridge fuse blown.
After get it changed everything is working fine.
Thank you once again
image0 (1).jpeg

Back