What's new

Anselmo

Champion
Reaction score
I have this KOTR board that is suicided. Can I bring this back to life with my cps1 multi and throw a battery back on it?

I'm trying to avoid having to do the phoenix rom because that looks like I have to cut traces and run jumpers - so if it's easier to reprogram it with the CPS1 Multi that would be the route to go.

Is this possible without any C board modding?

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 81
You would have to reinsert the key using a Kabuki programmer and then put a new Battery on, I don't think the Multi would make any difference.

I was under the impression the CPS1 inserted/programmed the original keys when flashing the games. No? Maybe it was just wishful thinking...

No the CPS2 has that option, the only reason I did it was with King Of Dragons was so that all the background tiles were correct. Just get a CPS1 Multi, problem solved!

I have this KOTR board that is suicided. Can I bring this back to life with my cps1 multi and throw a battery back on it?

I'm trying to avoid having to do the phoenix rom because that looks like I have to cut traces and run jumpers - so if it's easier to reprogram it with the CPS1 Multi that would be the route to go.

Is this possible without any C board modding?
It should work. Install the battery first, put the C board on the multi, then load/boot KOTR. It will write the KOTR key/data to the CPS-B-21 chip and the battery will keep it there.

No the CPS2 has that option, the only reason I did it was with King Of Dragons was so that all the background tiles were correct. Just get a CPS1 Multi, problem solved!
Knights of the round was re-cracked by me some years ago to fix those errors:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16FNOKCBwHI

Apocalypse also re-cracked it at some point but i've not extensively tested his version.

I have a cps1 multi. I'm trying to use it to revive a friend's dead KOTR board. I'll be giving it a shot sometime this week.

I asked about this last year and Darksoft said that yes, it will work exactly as Ack said. I have 5 boards I have installed new batteries in, just waiting to have my cabs set up again so I can try and revive them with my multi.

For posterity : I finally got around to reviving this Knights of the Round board and the CPS1 multi from Darksoft revived it right away. Just like @ack said. Easy peezy!

Attachments

• IMG_20231214_194722_01.jpg
    IMG_20231214_194722_01.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 20231214_194747.jpg
    20231214_194747.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 32
Good to know, I always assumed no keys were used/needed with the Multi! I also have a KOTR that has suicided so I'll give it a go. Apologies for the wrong info!

Was also able to revive this CPS 1.5 punisher board using the same method.

20240220_200855.jpg

Attachments

• 1000020049.jpg
    1000020049.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 19
Back