What's new

Softdrink

Professional
Reaction score
Overview

AstroMarquee_V1_A4Crop.jpg

Front view of the marquee holder installed on a New Astro City cabinet.

A few years ago I created a DIY lasercut marquee holder for the SEGA Astro City and New Astro City arcade cabinet. This design wasn't perfectly accurate - I didn't have reference to an original holder at the time, so I did my best using dimensions and photos scrounged from the internet and helpful friends. But it worked well enough, and I've been quite satisfied with it for a long time. The cutfiles and dimensional drawings got shuffled away in my files, but I stumbled on them again recently and finally put together a repo for them.

I also recently purchased an original marquee holder, so I'm planning on putting together plans for an updated design that's more accurate to the original. My design ended up being quite close in terms of external dimensions, but the construction and internal geometry is very different from the original holder. With that said, I've found that being able to mount substantially larger artwork is a nice feature that makes for a more impressive presentation. The Dodonpachi Saidaioujou themed art installed for these photos is a reproduction I printed myself; you can find more photos and info about that in my Restore Log thread here.

You can find the full documentation, including cutfiles, material recommendations, and installation instructions, on Github here.

Front_Panel.png
Back_Panel.png

Front and back panel dimensional drawings.

Comparison with the Original

I don't have photos directly comparing my design to the original (yet), but here's a quick reference table:

Original SEGA
Softdrink Version 1
Max. Marquee Size
ISO B4*​
ISO A3​
Construction
Cast plastic​
Layered acrylic​
UV Properties
Unknown​
Controllable**​
Dimensions
469 x 345mm​
472 x 346mm​
Tapered Width
433mm​
432mm​
Bottom Corner Radii
Approx. 10mm​
10mm​
Top Corner Radii
Approx. 15mm​
10mm​
Cabinet Clearance
5mm​
Approx. 3mm​

*Technically, the largest supported size with the original holder design is approx. 360mm x 270mm. This is larger than ISO A4 or ISO B4, but not as large as JP B4 or ISO B3.
**Using different types of acrylic with known properties, it would be possible to make UV-safe marquee holders, to better protect original game artwork.

Additional Photos

AstroMarquee_V1_A3Crop.jpg
AstroMarquee_V1_A4Crop2.jpg

Comparison of the Version 1 marquee holder design with ISO A3 (left) and ISO A4 (right) artwork installed.

AstroMarquee_V1_SideAngle.jpg

Version 1 marquee holder installed on a New Astro City cabinet, with ISO A3 art mounted. Side angle view.

AstroMarquee_V1_Mounting.jpg

Closeup of the connections between the marquee holder and the cabinet.

I hope others enjoy this project; it's a quick and easy one if you have access to a laser cutter and a decent hardware store (for the metric screws), but it can make a big impact.

I like to design my marquees to be full bleed instead of floating inside the frame, but it is a bit more work.
While I absolutely agree that full bleed looks better if you're willing to make custom art, that wasn't really the point of this thread. Having said that - full bleed works best when you have a template to work around screw holes and other design features, so I suppose the cutfiles would be a good reference for that purpose, as well!

Full bleed also isn't possible with the original holder design because of the little internal 'shelf' that the art must rest in - the shelf places a hard limit on the max size art that is possible with the original design, which gives repro options with simplified construction somewhat of an 'advantage' - depending on personal taste, of course. Some people will always prefer to use original, or original-scale, artwork, and that's perfectly fine too!

Last edited:
No wonder the repro marquee I bought went on funky. I didn't know there were spacers needed. I just screwed it in but, noticed the cab screw digging and bending the bottom part of acrylic.

No wonder the repro marquee I bought went on funky. I didn't know there were spacers needed. I just screwed it in but, noticed the cab screw digging and bending the bottom part of acrylic.
Yeah, the spacers are definitely pretty important!

You can get away with a lot of other things besides laser-cut spacers though; even just washers or generic spacers from the hardware store would be fine. Anything in the 3mm-5mm range should give good clearance over the other cabinet screws.

Yeah, the spacers are definitely pretty important!

You can get away with a lot of other things besides laser-cut spacers though; even just washers or generic spacers from the hardware store would be fine. Anything in the 3mm-5mm range should give good clearance over the other cabinet screws.

That's exactly what I will do. I actually have plastic washers, I think I'll use that.
Thank you man.

If I was to make my marquees again I think I'd add side holes like the Vewlix ones have. I definitely notice mine are buckling and creating a bit of a gap there now. No big deal, but be worth two more visible bolts to keep it more tight I think.

Back