What's new

tDRG

Grand Master
Reaction score
Someone local is selling a Neo Geo MVS Big Red that's seen better days. Audio doesn't work, only one slot in the 4-slot plays a game, T molding has fallen off, looks like the cab has seen some water damage (vinyl peeling along edges, rust on the control panel/coin area). The monitor seems to be in good shape, though. I'm going to take a look at it before purchasing. I intend for this to be a project cab, and I'll likely have to replace a bunch of parts. But is there anything in particular I should look out for that can be a pain to fix or replace on these?

The big things that pop out at me are that 4 slot. See if it's getting enough power and if the slots are clean.

Also make sure it's wired for MVS, and not a conversion. I don't doubt that it is, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

If there's a memory card slot or headphone jacks, they may have stuff in them and need some TLC. Someone put a penny in my memory card slot and it rusted and messed up the reader to where it is unfixable.

2nd on Card slot, kids loved to jam shit in them. Bring a flashlight and check for bent pins. There is a variant of the big red that doesn't have a card slot, the CP won't have a opening for it.

Most likely the EL lights in the marquee are burnt, this will make the light board emit a loud squeal, don't be scared, replacing the EL panels fixes this.

Mostly make sure everything is there, a lot of the boards like the EL panel hardware and cables and such are not reproduced. Someone made a LED marquee light replacement along and a memory card board.

If there's a lot of (water) damage you might be better off parting together a couple of cabs. 2 & 4 slot MVS cabs are fairly common, so adjust your offer accordingly.

Stick wise, there are Sansa sticks that come with bat top replacement handles, for the control of a Sanwa but the authentic look. You'll need a KOWAL flat plate converter to ensure that the stick fits

Awesome, thanks for the advice! I ended up passing on it but this is all good to know.

They look like fun to work on, but if it's in rough shape, the cost of replacement parts can blow past what you would be able to resell a fully restored cab for very quickly.
Ha! collectors are usually in it for the long haul. Totally true about cost. My MVS 4 slot was complete, but even with just a wood repair/repaint and replacing the EL panels the total cost is more than I could sell it for. Doesn't matter, I enjoy it.

I guess that's the big distinguisher: is it for keeps or resell? I feel $$$ is much easier to drop if the cab is for you

Yeah. I regretted the money I sunk into my big red at first, but now I'm pretty happy I have it. Decent cabs at a reasonable price also seem to be suddenly more scarce locally since I got it.

Cabs are a big money sink. Actually any hobby is. Do we really needs cabs? Of course not; there are so many ways to play the games now. Once upon a time you could make the argument that emulation was inaccurate and illegal, but emulation has gotten really good and there are many ways to legally obtain the games.

Any hobby costs money; it's well spent if it makes you happy.

Last edited:
I concur about spending money on the Neo Geo cab sinkpit.

Memory Card reader, repro marquees, 4-slot motherboard, new sticks, buttons, etc. and it's still not done (need LED panels, alternate sticks and maybe a panel refresh).

Was it worth it? Yes. Would I do it again? Yes.

Back