What's new
Want To Buy
I have it, the OEM version is a little black box with RCA jacks on it for component video/audio.
Stock image but what it looks like...
4183TD6FVJL.jpg

Let me look for it when I get home and I'll get you some pictures.

I have found the Monster cable for the Original Xbox has better quality than the HD box, however it could be due to the quality of cables I was using on the adapter.

@jassin000 thanks bud, it seems there are two versions, the one with the box and the one straight to cables. I prefer the latter if possible, but if nobody's got one of those then I'm open to the other one too.

@djsheep from what I've read the official one should be better than the monster, also seemingly the monster cable has a tight grip on the connector from what I've read...

@jassin000 thanks bud, it seems there are two versions, the one with the box and the one straight to cables. I prefer the latter if possible, but if nobody's got one of those then I'm open to the other one too.

@djsheep from what I've read the official one should be better than the monster, also seemingly the monster cable has a tight grip on the connector from what I've read...
I don't recall MS making a box-less version of the cables. Third-parties sure did, though.

Having had the monster cable previously (and other console monster cables), the tight grip from the connectors is very real. I've heard stories of people yanking off the jacks from their TVs because they weren't careful with their cables. FWIW, I gave my monster cable to a friend, and he claimed the quality was better than the MS box, but as djsheep said, it probably depends on the component cables used, too.

The Monster cable is a tight fit indeed, but it's not that extreme, you just have to be careful not to yank it out like a cheap cable. Either way, the Component or Scart upgrade for this particular console is absolutely amazing and totally worth the money!

I don't recall MS making a box-less version of the cables. Third-parties sure did, though.
That ^
@Sp33dFr34k you said you wanted the MS original version, that IS the ONLY original MS version.
So go ahead and buy the knockoff then if you don't give a F. :rolleyes:

That cable is NOT made by MS, so yea... Done.
Jesus fuck man, the listing even says "Brand: unbranded" UNBRANDED!
Then look at the location it ships from... China... You still think this is a "real" cable and not a knockoff?

Well there's a lot of listings listing it as Microsoft branded as well, for example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-...021244?hash=item216658dfbc:g:eqcAAOSwM0hd2jBp
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OFFICIAL-X...635340?hash=item2ada921d8c:g:gJgAAOSwsCdd3Z~w

2nd post here: https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=54970

"Microsoft sold two versions, the first one with the breakout box and the second one as a cable - both supported TOSLINK optical S/PIDF"

At this point I just wanna know for sure, but it seems there is no official info to be found anywhere, or my googling skills are failing me.

That cable is NOT made by MS, so yea... Done.
Jesus fuck man, the listing even says "Brand: unbranded" UNBRANDED!
Then look at the location it ships from... China... You still think this is a "real" cable and not a knockoff?
Ah now I understand what ticked you off, if you open the link on a phone it shows correctly. On a PC you need to click on view original item, that's the cable I meant. Not the crappy "similar one" that eBay suggests because the original listing was sold :)

This one: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Official-or...m43663.l10137&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

Don’t know were you are looking, but for me it says brand Microsoft and shipping from Canada?

EDIT, should have refreshed the page before I replied. Already answered above :)

I had this same conversation with @MVG and he showed me that second version cable was Microsoft. It looks like they were only available in Best Buy stores in the US. I know at GameStop, we never carried them.

I have the second MS cable version..it works well with house of the dead 3 @480p but not with the freebie 2 which needs to be at 480i..tested

my understanding from a post at the SHMUPS a while ago (don’t quote me here, it was many moons ago and I don’t have the box version to test) that the box version of the cable has issues with house of the dead 3 @480p but works well at 480i..

I’m sure the second version is real, but also more limited. OP, I can look for both versions locally, but I’m sure I only saw the box one.

I’m sure the second version is real, but also more limited. OP, I can look for both versions locally, but I’m sure I only saw the box one.
Cool that would be great. The cable version just looks way more practical to me, plus you don't need a seperate component cable either. Thanks!

Cable version looks/is admittedly better than box version... And yes I had seen it before...
But I never believed it was official/OEM, at best I believed it was made by Monster Cable (because of the special/same RCA connector used) manufactured under license from MS.
I guess now we/I know it WAS official, just coming much later in Xbox life cycle (and only at some/select retailers it seems).

Last edited by a moderator:
I am part of a small competitive community that still plays Halo 1 for the original Xbox. We have regular LANs, and play on CRTs using component. From what I’ve heard, the original boxes provide the best image.

Back