What's new
That's quite a lot of draw, 7v? The MiSTercade should not draw that much at all.

What does the 12v read on some regular PCBs? Could you test a little spread of 'em?
The plot thickens... Sfalpha3 tests at 11.99 and MVC tests at 11.92

Could you please post the 5v/-5v/12v readings for all three boards so we can investigate?

SF Alpha 3, MVC and MiSTercade.

FYI my Windy PSU reads something like 10.2 with the Mistercade running. Testing it with something like a PGM I get a straight 12v. Why? Because most arcade boards don't gaf about the 12v in a cab, they're just using it for audio. So you might think your old power supply is fine, and no issues, but then discover it doesn't have the oompf to keep up with actually powering the Mister off the 12v side.

FYI my Windy PSU reads something like 10.2 with the Mistercade running. Testing it with something like a PGM I get a straight 12v. Why? Because most arcade boards don't gaf about the 12v in a cab, they're just using it for audio. So you might think your old power supply is fine, and no issues, but then discover it doesn't have the oompf to keep up with actually powering the Mister off the 12v side.
That's what I was thinking because my astro city is reading 12v exactly with the mistercade plugged in!

@LearyCastro if you can take readings on the Astro of all three votlages on all three boards, and the same on the Q25 that would great to try figure out the issue.

But does sound like some PSU's are not capable of supplying the right load. Strange because it's only 12v/1A needed for MiSTercade?

Could you please post the 5v/-5v/12v readings for all three boards so we can investigate?

SF Alpha 3, MVC and MiSTercade.
Q25 readings:
Mistercade: 5.1v, no -5v, 5.3v (on the 12)
SFA3: 5.1v, no -5v, 11.9v
MVC: 5.1v, no -5v, 11.9v

Last edited:
@LearyCastro if you can take readings on the Astro of all three votlages on all three boards, and the same on the Q25 that would great to try figure out the issue.

But does sound like some PSU's are not capable of supplying the right load. Strange because it's only 12v/1A needed for MiSTercade?
Astro readings:

Mistercade: 5.2v, -4.9v, and 12v
SFA3: 5.1v, -5.1v, and 11.9v
MVC: 5.1v, -5.1v, and 11.9v

Thanks for that, I've reported it in the MiSTercade testing channel and will see what the consensus is.

At the very worst a recap of your Q25 should fix it. Hopefully we'll be able to figure out another solution though? In the meantime, go enjoy that bad boy on the Astro :)

@thunderclap that issue is most likely due to settings in the .ini file. Try temporarily removing the section that controls the video resolution for the menu.

It will be titled [menu] and the line under it.
You were right @djsheep I removed that section under [menu]
video_mode=480,12,48,36,240,4,3,16,9089
And when I plugged in the HDMI it works again. Lol but now I don't really know what it means or where to go from here. Mistercade works great in my cab and I doubt I will ever want to output HDMI very often... just the odd time when I want bring it into my office to tinker or update over ethernet if wifi is giving me trouble. Also just wanted to bring it up in case someone else is having an issue with it like myself.
Thanks again for your assistance :)

That line in the .ini just scales the menu for a cab or PVM… what you need to do now is have an “alt” mister.ini file that you can trigger from the mister menu which is setup for HDMI and keep the main .ini for your cab. Then you can hop between the two depending on which screen you want to control the menu from. There’s info in the main MiSTer repository about the alt files and their function.

Once a game is loaded you won’t have to worry about it, and it should display on both screens with no issues. It’s only the menu that needs scaling.

That line in the .ini just scales the menu for a cab or PVM… what you need to do now is have an “alt” mister.ini file that you can trigger from the mister menu which is setup for HDMI and keep the main .ini for your cab. Then you can hop between the two depending on which screen you want to control the menu from. There’s info in the main MiSTer repository about the alt files and their function.

Once a game is loaded you won’t have to worry about it, and it should display on both screens with no issues. It’s only the menu that needs scaling.
Sweet! Thanks for the explanation... makes sense now. Again going to follow your advice and make some alt mister.ini files :)

I just set up the Mistercade and connected it to my Neo Geo MVS cab using the JNX adapter. When I turned it on the screen displays in a rolling pattern. I've been using an Arpicade on this cabinet through this same adapter and it's worked perfectly, so I don't think it's an issue outside of a configuration problem with the mister of some kind. I used the 15Khz ini file as instructed, but perhaps I made a mistake with that? Is there a way to confirm the video settings are correct?

Attachments

• IMG_0776.jpg
    IMG_0776.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 74
Hey folks, I think you can learn from one of my mistakes. I renamed the pre-configured 15 khz ini file to mister.ini (all lowercase). When I tested, I got a rolling image on my cabs. I wasted nearly two evenings troubleshooting this setup,

Finally, last night, when I renamed it to MiSTer.ini (proper spelling) the problem was solved.

Hey folks, I think you can learn from one of my mistakes. I renamed the pre-configured 15 khz ini file to mister.ini (all lowercase). When I tested, I got a rolling image on my cabs. I wasted nearly two evenings troubleshooting this setup,

Finally, last night, when I renamed it to MiSTer.ini (proper spelling) the problem was solved.
I had my hopes up on that one, because I also renamed it to mister.ini (Iowercase). But I went back and copied the 15khz over with the MiSTer.ini in mixed case and I'm still getting the same rolling :(.

Hmmm…I’ve always used mister.ini all lowercase for the file name.

Does the screen rolling continue after you launch a core?

Hmmm…I’ve always used mister.ini all lowercase for the file name.

Does the screen rolling continue after you launch a core?
I can't really see the screen to navigate to a core as it is, the screen is completed garbled. I could look into setting up a monitor with HDMI to launch from there I think. I'll give that a shot later today.

I just set up the Mistercade and connected it to my Neo Geo MVS cab using the JNX adapter. When I turned it on the screen displays in a rolling pattern. I've been using an Arpicade on this cabinet through this same adapter and it's worked perfectly, so I don't think it's an issue outside of a configuration problem with the mister of some kind. I used the 15Khz ini file as instructed, but perhaps I made a mistake with that? Is there a way to confirm the video settings are correct?
I get that same rolling screen issue when I run the Mistercade inside one of my Sigma cocktails.

I get rolling visual noise and power drops on my Q25.

Plays perfectly on my Astro City.

Seems like the Mistercade is picky about PSUs and maybe certain monitors?

*Try adjusting the v hold or h hold on your monitor and see if that fixes the rolling image.

Last edited:
I get that same rolling screen issue when I run the Mistercade inside one of my Sigma cocktails.

I get rolling visual noise and power drops on my Q25.

Plays perfectly on my Astro City.

Seems like the Mistercade is picky about PSUs and maybe certain monitors?

*Try adjusting the v hold or h hold on your monitor and see if that fixes the rolling image.
I tried the v hold and it did reduce the rolling but the screen is still garbled. I also tried plugging it into a Namco Exceleena candy cab here and I get the exact same issue. That Namco is pretty reliable and newer hardware so I think it's most likely an issue with the Mistercade, whether it is configuration or hardware.

I actually ordered a second Mistercade and it looks like it is scheduled to arrive today, so I can also swap hardware and see if it's something specific to this unit.

I tried the v hold and it did reduce the rolling but the screen is still garbled. I also tried plugging it into a Namco Exceleena candy cab here and I get the exact same issue. That Namco is pretty reliable and newer hardware so I think it's most likely an issue with the Mistercade, whether it is configuration or hardware.

I actually ordered a second Mistercade and it looks like it is scheduled to arrive today, so I can also swap hardware and see if it's something specific to this unit.
Please update us! Hate to say it but I would love to know if there might be "faulty" Mistercades out. 😬

Back