What's new
18BE93C0-B685-4FDD-872D-B219415C475B.jpeg
4E3658CC-D4A9-40D6-B9CC-2C4D12448D7E.jpeg

Second draft looks good! Feels very rigid. I’ll be heading to Home Depot today to grab some #4 screws and test attaching it to some plywood. As long as that goes ok, I’ll put it on thingiverse.
Looks great!

@Derick2k up for the challenge? happy to fund a prototype material cost with acrylic haha.
For sure, you want top and bottom covers? I can also do threaded inserts in the acrylic ;)

You want any logos/markings/cutouts, etc???

If you want to make a sketch of how you want it I can do some test cuts in 1/8, 1/4 acrylic, etc..

For sure, you want top and bottom covers? I can also do threaded inserts in the acrylic ;)

If you want to make a sketch of how you want it I can do some test cuts in 1/8, 1/4 acrylic, etc..

@TodoRojo you're up my dude! I imagine vents where the heatsink and fan are located. Personally a top cover would be enough. What do you all think?

Woo! Lol

I just ordered some heat set inserts and then I’ll adjust my model to utilize them for the front posts.

@TodoRojo you're up my dude! I imagine vents where the heatsink and fan are located. Personally a top cover would be enough. What do you all think?
Top cover is just fine, I think! Vents for the fan and heat sink are great. The other thing to think about are the buttons just below the fan. We could print some buttons to rest on them and stick out of the acrylic or just leave a hole to stick a finger through. I prefer the button idea though.

How high should we put the acrylic? Just over the I/O shields?

ok got it, I will do vent for the fan, a cut out for the heatsink and kick harness, round cutour to match the volume knob

Make the plexi rest just above the fan I guess, and do round cutouts for 3d printed buttons?

ok got it, I will do vent for the fan, a cut out for the heatsink and kick harness, round cutour to match the volume knob

Make the plexi rest just above the fan I guess, and do round cutouts for 3d printed buttons?
Nailed it. Buttons will be easy. I’ll just make a small rim on the bottom and they go in through the bottom of the acrylic (I think you get what I’m talking about).

Could I ask: how do you get measurements for the cutouts? I was just using a digital caliper and lots of trial and error to find the distance between the mounting holes on the PCB. Any tips?

Nailed it. Buttons will be easy. I’ll just make a small rim on the bottom and they go in through the bottom of the acrylic (I think you get what I’m talking about).

Could I ask: how do you get measurements for the cutouts? I was just using a digital caliper and lots of trial and error to find the distance between the mounting holes on the PCB. Any tips?
Unless the creator share the pcb layout files, I measure everything out on with digital calipers, input those into software and do a test cut on thick cardboard to make sure measurements line up.
The more you take measurements of stuff the better and faster you get at it, but on complex stuff I write/draw it out and calculate cutouts/spacing, etc ahead of time.

On common parts/devices I read the spec sheets to get the measurements, example I had to do a quick tray to mount a 2.5" ssd on my x3 that I swapped the coolre on with a taller one.
1638400699845.png

Used the measurements on the mechanical drawing

1638400892961.png

Unless the creator share the pcb layout files, I measure everything out on with digital calipers, input those into software and do a test cut on thick cardboard to make sure measurements line up.
The more you take measurements of stuff the better and faster you get at it, but on complex stuff I write/draw it out and calculate cutouts/spacing, etc ahead of time.

On common parts/devices I read the spec sheets to get the measurements, example I had to do a quick tray to mount a 2.5" ssd on my x3 that I swapped the coolre on with a taller one.
1638400699845.png

Used the measurements on the mechanical drawing

1638400892961.png
Sweet. Thank you. I wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing out on some cool hack haha. Near the end of my rope I just started 3d printing 3mm posts that would stick out and then measure from those. It did the trick ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

I think I need to print smaller components more often and do test fits like you do with the cardboard. Thanks for sharing those examples.

Sweet. Thank you. I wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing out on some cool hack haha. Near the end of my rope I just started 3d printing 3mm posts that would stick out and then measure from those. It did the trick ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

I think I need to print smaller components more often and do test fits like you do with the cardboard. Thanks for sharing those examples.
No real hacks that I can think of, unfortunately, There are tons of 3d scanning tools out there that can most likely do the job you want, not sure how fast it would be though or how good it would work.

Any word on when more of these will be available?

I missed my chance on the first round.

Here's the link to the STL. This is the version that doesn't use heat-set inserts. I'll get that tooled tonight or tomorrow.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5152714

Edit: As far as the height goes for the acrylic: I think 20mm would be enough to clear the IO, but the 680uf cap in front of the amp heat sink is 23mm. That could be included in the amp cutout, or we could sandwich some printed spacers between the acrylic and standoff. I'm sure there are other possibilities as well. Thoughts?

Edit 2: I’m hoping these edits aren’t blowing up people’s inboxes.
5B32A64D-243D-4A9D-BD65-4AB11CDBBE62.jpeg
This is the image I have in my head, let me know if that’s what you’re thinking as well. We could also have no heat-sets at all. I would allow the screw to poke out more from the post and then use a pass-thru stand-off. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The heat-set version is uploaded to thingiverse 👍

Last edited:
Whichever way works best for you guys, Im ok with.

This is how heatset inserts work out in acrylic

1638418242025.png

and this is a test piece of that ssd mount plate I was working on earlier, this a rushed paint job, and I didnt clean the masking fully, was just trying to see if I like it before I commit to making more.

1638418521763.png

Back