What's new

nem

Legendary
Reaction score
Here's a tutorial to make a scanner suitable for artwork out of a Canon LiDE 300. This is a cheap scanner that gives great results and the mod is very easy. I picked up mine for 70 euros locally. For anyone in the US, it's 58 bucks on Amazon.

canon_lide_300_mod_0.jpg

Once you're done, you have a completely flat scanner bed that you can use to scan anything that's 30cm tall. Width is only limited by the space you have available around the scanner. Marquees, Japanese style control panels, move sheets, no problem.

LiDE 400 will also likely work, but I don't see any reason to get the more expensive model. The only benefit it seems to bring is higher dpi, and honestly, for arcade artwork even 600dpi is plenty enough.

Note that I had already performed the mod prior to taking the photos.

See below for how-to:

canon_lide_300_mod_1.jpg

Remove these two screws at the back

canon_lide_300_mod_2.jpg

Pry the top plastic piece off, the one acts as a hinge for the cover. There's a tab that holds it in place, you need to clear it. Use a flat head screw driver or similar tool. Do the same for the other side.

After the top cover is removed, you can lift the glass. Hold the glass from the top edge, don't put your fingers under the glass. You do not want finger prints on the under side.

When you have the glass in the air, remove the side pieces. They're stuck on with double sided tape. You can just pull them off.

Once you have the sides removed, put the glass back down. The tape likely left some marks, however, there's no need to clean the glass at this stage. Conquer your OCD and move on with the tutorial.

canon_lide_300_mod_4.jpg

I placed kapton tape over the sides to keep the dust out, I suggest you do something similar.

When you have the sides taped, put the hinge back on. It just snaps into place. Put the screws back in. You can now clean the glass. Use alcohol for the tape residue.

See the next post for suggestions on scanning software.

Last edited:
So basically the trick here is to take multiple scans and stitch them together. I've always done this by hand in Photoshop. It's not too bad, the most important part is to have the artwork aligned exactly on the scanner bed, so you don't have to manually rotate images. Then just take a large canvas, load the scans and have them overlap each other. Merge when done.

However, I was thinking, surely, in 2024, I could have software that is smart enough to do this all automatically?

I tried a few different ones. Autostitch only does panoramic projections, that's out. Hugin is crazy convoluted, no thank you.

Finally, I found Image Composite Editor by Microsoft -- from 2008, lol. For whatever stupid reason MS has removed the downloads for this between now and then. Fortunately, there's archive.org:

https://archive.org/details/ice-2.0.3-for-64-bit-windows

You also need Visual Studio 2013:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784

Start a New panorama from images. Pick your scans.

ice_1.jpg

Under Simple panorama, choose Planar motion. Then just export to disk in the final step.

Here's an Outtrigger marquee scan:

outtrigger_marquee_scan_small.jpg

https://mega.nz/file/FnQABTZZ#IIYQ6RQ5od9wwbQXnB6zS1551Axm-l2l7VFwlseFFVE

Looks pretty good!

If you're using Canon Scangear for the initial scans, make sure to remove auto-crop. Crop by hand if needed.

scangear_1.jpg

Also, I only press Preview once on the first scan, then just Scan on the subsequent ones. This keeps the image height the same for every scan. Different heights can sometimes trip the stitching software to do stupid things.

Happy scanning!

Last edited:
Back