What's new
For Sale
I am powering it from a cellphone charger as well, I doubt that's the issue. I've found though that the IONA doesn't like it when the jamma edge voltmeter shows 5.10v or higher. Sadly my Naomi needs that voltage as otherwise my games freeze... maybe my Naomi is on its way out and needs a recap or sth. Still strange that the voltage seems to matter, will have to do some more testing.

I am powering it from a cellphone charger as well, I doubt that's the issue. I've found though that the IONA doesn't like it when the jamma edge voltmeter shows 5.10v or higher. Sadly my Naomi needs that voltage as otherwise my games freeze... maybe my Naomi is on its way out and needs a recap or sth. Still strange that the voltage seems to matter, will have to do some more testing.
mind telling me which cellphone charger would work well with this device :)

@Sp33dFr34k Not sure I understand where jamma voltage comes into play here. Isn't the whole point of this device to replace the jamma i/o part of the setup? Or is that still needed for your video?

In any case, it sounds like you might have issues with powering the Naomi in this case, not necessarily the IONA

@Sp33dFr34k Not sure I understand where jamma voltage comes into play here. Isn't the whole point of this device to replace the jamma i/o part of the setup? Or is that still needed for your video?

In any case, it sounds like you might have issues with powering the Naomi in this case, not necessarily the IONA
from what I recall it was suppose to be a replacement for not having to use the IO boards and this provides the option for 2usb controllers and just extra power on the side...so I am also in the same boat as you broadway....no idea what the jamma voltage he is specifying. Unless his power supply is not supplying enough juice to his naomi

He is powering the Naomi from his cab (Sega NAC) and the Jamma connector is not connected to anything, just a loose connector where he measures the voltage coming out of his NVS4000 PSU which powers the Naomi directly via the usual JVS power connections. (I know because his cab is dual wired for Jamma and for JVS).

Yes, exactly what Pascal says, just to measure the 5v (I'm not using the jamma loom obviously). I also don't understand where the 5v comes into play here but it sure seems like it's messing things up. I can power the Naomi fine, but it needs a little bit more 5v than the IONA likes... so on one hand the IONA doesn't work with 5.10v and up and on the other hand the Naomi freezes while using anything less than 5.10v. So it's currently being pretty much unusable for me. I will try using the Naomi that @PascalP uses, see if that brings any clarity.

@kazuyajin1080 I am using a Samsung quickcharger or an Apple one. They output 2.5A so should be sufficient.

Last edited:
Hey @Sp33dFr34k or @PascalP are either of you on Twitter?, the creator is pretty good at responding there or you can always submit issues to the GitHub or read through existing ones.

We are both not on Twitter, but I'll try the aforementioned first and then I'll submit the issue to GitHub.

Hey @Sp33dFr34k or @PascalP are either of you on Twitter?, the creator is pretty good at responding there or you can always submit issues to the GitHub or read through existing ones.
No Twitter, Instagram, Discord, Tiktok, Snapchat and what else is out there? :P

But we can check I guess, will bring my Naomi and System 256 over to @Sp33dFr34k next week to rule out some issues.

If the problems resides in his Naomi system we can at least rule that out and than only the non-working ps3/ps4/xbox360/Switch controllers to solve ;)

I’ll try get more info and do some testing here @PascalP — wanna get you lads up and running, I had heard there were issues with some usb-c cables not working and others working. Always try the shortest length cables. The Xbox 360 pad should be all good to go and compatible though.

Hi, here are messages from the author, Takashi.
----
Thank you for everyone to help each other for troubleshooting IONA-US's compatibility challenges.
DJ Sheep and Yukari taught me about the community at the Arcade Project.
As my bandwidth is really limited, I can not check all users communities.
So, if you need a help or can give information to improve compatibilities, please contact me, or raise an issue at the GitHub. As I'm just an individual hobbyist, these are only the official support places I can provide. DJ Sheep helped me to sell this in the world, but he is also not a support desk. So, I don't want to bother him about this.
Also, please check the support site, https://toyoshim.github.io/iona-us/en. Still people seem asking questions explained there.
I believe the official site should be the 1st tier to provide support information, and it requires your help to make it more informative.
My English may be bad. So, contributions to improve English wording is also welcomed!
As everything are managed at the GitHub, you can send a pull request, though you can still chose sending a text to me on the other hand :)

- Step by step troubleshoot; https://toyoshim.github.io/iona-us/troubleshoot_en
- Instructions to report not-working controllers; https://toyoshim.github.io/iona-us/report_en
- But/Compatibility reports; https://github.com/toyoshim/iona-us/issues (English and Japanese both)

I also experimentally released the Discussions at https://github.com/toyoshim/iona-us/discussions but as I'm not familiar with this GitHub feature yet, it isn't actively used. Feel free to utilize it if you are familiar with.

Note: Of course, I can not help about the clone board.

Cheers,
---
AFAIK, he had worked for some titles from SEGA, Konami, and so on. So I think he also hesitate to visit underground communities.

Okay, so we have been doing some testing (@PascalP and myself) yesterday evening. We have 2 Naomi's and 1 is working, the other 1 isn't.

We have exchanged everything, bios, cartridge, wiring, cabs, etc. and what we have found is the following:

Working Naomi:

- 99/12 (assuming this is december 1999)
- 837-13707 on mainboard

Non-working Naomi:

- 00/12 (assuming this is december 2000)
- 837-13707-02 on mainboard (also a sticker with Rev. D present, not on the other one)

@Kitinota does this align with your findings? Please let me know so we can post some of these findings on GitHub.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20220607_220152.jpg
    20220607_220152.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 20220607_220235.jpg
    20220607_220235.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 61
Yes I think we can point to @Sp33dFr34k 's Naomi that is the culprit, my Naomi system worked 11 out of 10 times :P
And his was very picky, and just didn't work at all when we tested yesterday, also not on different 5v voltages like he got it working earlier.
Also to exclude anything else we swapped carts, bios (JAP and multi), cables, PSU's, 2 different IONA's and tried different 5v settings and mine just worked with every combination of parts.

Wondering if @Kitinota can confirm which Naomi revisions work for him and which don't as that is the only obvious difference we saw between our units.

Now that just leaves us to solve the non-working PS3/PS4/Switch/Xbox360 controllers... Will try again later at my place when I've had some more time, but my plan is to use the IONA on my System 369 with TTT2U on the big screen projector and would be cool to just sit back on the couch and use a wireless PS4/Xbox controller for it ;)

Good detective work! Let’s hope the non-working revisions of Naomi can be patched to work. Make sure you put this info into GitHub… and others facing issues could possibly report their Naomi models here too?

Guys, how do you get your controllers to sync with the IONA? Tried using an Xbox 360 controller via a play and charge kit and via the receiver, ps3 cabled, ps4 cabled and Wii U cabled, nothing works. I can't find any instructions on connecting these, is there a special way to connect?
I used an 8bitdo PS classic dongle with my PS4 controller, you are meant to be able to use that dongle with PS3 as well but I couldn't get it to work and it requires faffing about on your PC to setup/pair the dongle and controller. See post #76

I used an 8bitdo PS classic dongle with my PS4 controller, you are meant to be able to use that dongle with PS3 as well but I couldn't get it to work and it requires faffing about on your PC to setup/pair the dongle and controller. See post #76
Oof, I missed that vital information, where did you find that piece of info @tiff_lee? Sadly I don't have the 8bitdo dongle, what else is supported?

Oof, I missed that vital information, where did you find that piece of info @tiff_lee? Sadly I don't have the 8bitdo dongle, what else is supported?
Which piece of info? The bit about the ps3 controller? It's all in the manual for it, the dongle supports heaps of controllers and it's peanuts from aliexpress, I didn't buy it for this I just happened to have one on hand.
https://www.8bitdo.com/usb-adapter-ps1-classic/

Which piece of info? The bit about the ps3 controller? It's all in the manual for it, the dongle supports heaps of controllers and it's peanuts from aliexpress, I didn't buy it for this I just happened to have one on hand.
https://www.8bitdo.com/usb-adapter-ps1-classic/
I meant the info for that adapter to be compatible, or did you just happen to try it out?

I meant the info for that adapter to be compatible, or did you just happen to try it out?
I just tried it out, it's not like you have to install drivers to use it on the ps classic so I figured it was worth a go.

I just tried it out, it's not like you have to install drivers to use it on the ps classic so I figured it was worth a go.
Okay great, thought I missed something, but just plain old trial and error works for me, thanks for the insight! @PascalP do you have any of those 8bitdo dongles lying around we can try next?

Back