What's new

skate323k137

Enlightened
Reaction score
I recently dove into this rabbit hole. Previously all I knew really was that the Atari ST and Sharp X68k could utilize midi [type] modules for music, and it sounded pretty awesome. Once I learned/recalled that many DOS games could use them, it was on. I'll sum up a lot of what I learned to save you guys time should you decide to venture down this path.

Prior to the "true" Midi Standard, many games used the Roland MT-32 sound module. Loosely called CM (Computer Music), the standard was used in a surprising number of games. In addition to the MT-32 sound module, a few compatible PC cards were also made, as well as some "CM-###" series modules.

Comparison is quite impressive. 1:45 for those with little patience ;)

MT-32 Games list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_MT-32-compatible_computer_games#IBM_PC_compatibles

After that the General Midi (GM) standard came around. Some further standards (Roland GS and Yamaha XG) are just expanded GM and thus sound modules that use them are, for the most part, perfectly suited for video games that used or contained GM soundtracks. Some suitable and popular models are the Roland Sound Canvas series, namely SC-55 (rom 1.21 for best compatibility but 2.0 works quite well too), SC-55 mk2, SC88, and variations thereof. Also yamaha sound modules like the MU series are suitable but of course sound slightly different than Roland. For the most part I like Roland but regardless it's interesting to hear how different synths handle the same midi input.

Doom of course is not the best show of a GM sound module. Lucas Arts games like Sam and Max, DOTT, and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis sound awesome.

(skip in a few minutes)

GM Games list:

http://www.mobygames.com/attribute/sheet/attributeId,47/p,2/

Now, how do you use this today?

For a Roland GM module expect to shell out about 100-120 dollars, closer to 160 for a MT-32 module. While you have many GM modules to choose from, for CM / MT-32, you really need an MT-32 or one of the few Roland compatible devices (see wikipedia). While the SC-55 has a MT-32 mode, the MT-32 mode on it (and the few other modules with a mt-32 or CM "mode") does not work well. It really only works for the default instrument set (some games do use this but the only one widely known is the original floppy disk version of the first Monkey Island). In short for GM games, for modules you have a lot choices, for MT-32 unfortunately you have many less [at least for hardware].

However, if you want to do software emulation, that is an option.

I own an SC-55 so I'm not the best person to ask for GM handling on the local machine, but I know virtual synths using sound sets from roland modules can be done. To use a real SC-55 you simply need a USB to MIDI cable. Set up ScummVM or DOSBox to use the USB MIDI port, and you're good to go. As a bonus the sc55 has audio input in the back to accompany MIDI IN. You can connect your speech synthesis via the computers line out, into the SC55, and it will mix it into the MIDI music for you.

I don't own an MT32 (at least yet...). However, MUNT is an MT-32 emulator which makes itself a choice for midi input on your system just like the USB to MIDI cable for a real GM module would. While it's not perfect, it certainly sounds better than an emulated ad-lib or soundblaster. If you have an extra monitor you can see the LCD messages and everything.

I have a Yamaha XG compatible module on the way to experiment with, in the mean time I'm enjoying playing Fate of Atlantis with the SC55.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this! Brings back great memories. You were ballin' if you had a MT-32 back in the day. I had a Soundblaster and Pro Audio Spectrum card back in the day on my and I thought I was cool until I heard the Roland!

I have a MT-32 here. I really should put it to use some day. I haven't even tried it. I just picked it up because it's kind of a holy grail for me and the price wasn't too bad.

What kind of a card do I need to pair it up with for old DOS games?

Back in the day, we (me and my brother) went from PC speaker to Adlib to Sound Blaster 16. The difference was amazing. Later I got to hear Gravis Ultrasound Doom at the home of a relative's relative. Blew my mind.

MIDI was unheard of, nobody here had one.

I have a MT32, a SC-88ST and theoretically a SC-55MK2..

I mean "theoretically" because the module is lost in space since several weeks (apparently got lost during shipping).. once I get the confirmation that it really got lost, I'm going to reorder it (either the MK2 or the ST).

I link them together with an Akai ME30P patchbay to 4 diferent PCs.. one 386/25 with an inteligent MPU Card (MusicQuest IH9MQ9 Clone), one 486DX/2 66 with an intelligent MPU card (again MusicQuest IH9MQ9 Clone), one P233/MMX with a HardMPU card and one K6-2-400 using the internal AWE64 MPU401 port.

I don't like to use the internal MPU401 "emulation" found in the Soundcards previous to the AWE64.. they tend to have bugs or incomplete support (hanging bugs, unsoported MIDI commands...) for the old software you really need a hardware(ish) MPU401.

It's also very important to pair the MIDI module with the right games.. for example MT32 is supported very well with games up to 1992 era (more or less). And then the first GM era "needs" the SC55 and the new GM era "needs" the SC88.. after that everything was CD digital audio. The compatibility mode found in some modules (MT32 compatibility in the SC55, and SC55 compatibility in the SC88, is only a "simulation" and does not sound in the same way)

And then it's also important to pair the diferent era's with the right SFX/FM (OPL2/OPL3 is also wonderful..) card..

In my 386 machine i use a an Aztech 38-MMSN810 that supports Disney Sound Source and Covox For example.. and then depending on the generation you need good SB compatibility for 8 and 16 bits... and then GUS if you want to get more into the Demoscene part...

Sound is the most exciting part of the Retro-Pc world... :)

Last edited:
Reactions: nem
I remember the first time I got Doom up and running with my Gravis Ultrasound card, it was so much better than the Sound Blaster Pro, would like to experience a Roland up close an personal though
sounds amazing from the youtube vids

I have a MT32, a SC-88ST and theoretically a SC-55MK2..
If you have an SC88 already, why get a MK2? they would sound pretty similar if I'm not mistaken.

I would go for a sc-55 with 1.21 so it has capital tone fallback for greatest compatibility on general midi.

I have a MT-32 here. I really should put it to use some day. I haven't even tried it. I just picked it up because it's kind of a holy grail for me and the price wasn't too bad.

What kind of a card do I need to pair it up with for old DOS games?

Back in the day, we (me and my brother) went from PC speaker to Adlib to Sound Blaster 16. The difference was amazing. Later I got to hear Gravis Ultrasound Doom at the home of a relative's relative. Blew my mind.

MIDI was unheard of, nobody here had one.
On an actual DOS machine you could use an ISA card or joystick to midi port to add the synth. You'd usually use your Adlib or SB card to provide digital sound/voice, and the roland for music.

On a newer machine you just need a USB to midi cable and DosBox to use your MT32.

I have an Roland SC-88 Pro that I've only used on my Sharp X68030 so far, but I love how it sounds! It's a little tricky to navigate the settings to enable the MT-32 and SC-55 backwards compatibility, but it works fine once you figure it out.

Back in my 90s DOS PC gaming days, I had an Ensoniq SoundScape ISA sound card which sounded amazing. I had to let it go when I upgraded to an all PCI slot rig later, but I've never found a card that made MIDI sound as good as that card did. I spent hours messing with Sound Fonts on a SoundBlaster AWE64 trying to find something that would get close...

If you have an SC88 already, why get a MK2? they would sound pretty similar if I'm not mistaken.
I would go for a sc-55 with 1.21 so it has capital tone fallback for greatest compatibility on general midi.
The MK2 is a SC55 not an SC88, they sound different.. SC88 was the base for composing the music for the last MIDI games, the SC55 covers most of the general MIDI games thought.

The SC88 has a SC55 compatibility switch but it doesn't sound exactly like a real SC55, but is closer than when you put the SC55 in MT32 mode (in the end the SC55 and the SC88 are both general MIDI modules)

I got the mk2 because it was the cheapest offer I got at that moment :)

Got you, yeah, the SC88 is updated from 55 and does sound different. I just meant compatibility wise if it works with a SC-55 MK2 it would work with a SC88 as well, and the MK2 has updated sound from the original SC-55.

While there is certainly nothing wrong with a MK2 or 2.0 SC-55, the 1.20 or 1.21 versions do have the best DOS compatibility. Sadly EPROM swapping is crippled by CPU revisions where a 1.20 unit can only go to 1.21, a 2.0x unit can only have 2.0x firmware etc.

See https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=37047&p=325018 , basically 1.10 and 2.0 / MK2 units don't handle every game as well as a 1.21 SC-55 soundcanvas. If I had an 88 I wouldn't worry about a 55MK2. I do have a 1.21 and 2.0 sc-55, but I would love an 88 at some point and wouldn't mind ditching the 2.0 sc-55 for it.

I used to own an MT-32 and made a [long winded] video on how to use it with DOSBox several years back that can be found here. I also own an SC-55 and MU80.

To use any of them with an older PC, you just have to get a sound card that has a MIDI/joystick port (almost all of them do) and a MIDI cable to connect to that port. You will generally want to go with an ISA sound card for MS-DOS stuff, while PCI cards are usually fine for Windows. There's a fairly modern/recent ISA sound card you can get that can be found on eBay called (Yamaha) Audician 32, which is Sound Blaster compatible, and last I looked they weren't too expensive, only running around $15-20.

The MT-32 is different from the other MIDI devices in that it is a pre-General MIDI device, so it does not follow GM standards, particularly with instrument mappings. You can send standard MIDI data to an MT-32, but it will usually sound like crap. What makes the MT-32 really cool is that games actually provide their own sound driver for it and some will load their own custom instrument patches -- Space Quest III is a great example of this. Quite a few games actually support both the MT-32 and SC-55 (basically GM), but those games usually don't do MT-32 specific patches.

To use them with your computer, you just need a USB MIDI adapter. I used to use a Roland UM-1EX but ended up selling it with the MT-32, and have since been using an iConnectivity mio adapter, which works just as well. To make DOSBox use these devices, you just go into the MIDI config and tell it which hardware MIDI port to use and it will start sending all MIDI data through the adapter -- it's actually very easy!

On a side note, some games actually used SC-55 audio recordings for their CDDA audio, like Warcraft 2. It's kind of cool watching that data come in through an actual piece of hardware and be created on the fly and having it sound exactly like the CD audio. It almost sounds cleaner for some reason, but it may just be me.

Great stuff!

I got my Yamaha MU50 in, and I must say I really like it. Functionally, it has a nicer use of the input feature than sc-55 (volume knob for it, as well as eq spikes for it next to each instrument for balancing it). Also I own a yamaha keyboard so it works quite well hooked right to that, in addition to dosbox/scummvm.

For most stuff I prefer the Roland sound wise, but I must say I was pleasantly surprised with the Yamaha module for the price. The Yamaha does have CM (computer music, i.e. kinda mt32) mode, but it is about as busted (and thus also about as functional) as MT-32 mode on the sc-55.

Caught a MT-100 on reverb that was listed as broken/would not take midi input. I had to factory reset and reconfigure midi thru, but it works like a charm! Sounds exactly like an MT-32. The only thing I'm missing is LCD messages but I won't complain for the price :)

Haven't made any use of it yet as I still need to pick up the crazy pricey Roland USB to MIDI cable, but I've got an MT-32 in the closet. Got it for $50 from a guy local to me who owned it since new and hadn't used it in over a decade. Still sounds fantastic.

Hoping to pick up an 88 and 55 in time when I find good deals.

Haven't made any use of it yet as I still need to pick up the crazy pricey Roland USB to MIDI cable, but I've got an MT-32 in the closet. Got it for $50 from a guy local to me who owned it since new and hadn't used it in over a decade. Still sounds fantastic.

Hoping to pick up an 88 and 55 in time when I find good deals.
For dosbox cheaper midi cables usually work OK. Generics work plug and play (minus editing dosbox or scummvm confs). The roland cable absolutely needs its drivers installed to work. Though it does seem better for DAW work or tons of simultaneous events. I have one random glitch with my cheap midi cable with sustains, and while it's rarely noticeable in practice, the roland doesn't seem to suffer it.

I found my roland UM-ONE MK2 for $36 with free shipping on B&H photo

More stuff arrived:

64boaYa.jpg

Is there any important difference between the SC-88 models? I picked up a plain old "SC-88" a couple days back for next to nothing and am wondering if I can just consider myself set on that one, or if another submodel is a better choice for old DOS/68k/etc games.

Also got offered an old 486DX2 75 build from a local guy. Has a SB16, but no MIDI card. What should I be looking for for a MIDI card?

Aaaand lastly, is it not possible to upgrade/downgrade the SC-55? I've seen a few for sale cheap, but no way of knowing what firmware they're running and not super interested in making a bunch of trial and error purchases.

Last edited:
Upgrades are heavily restricted, and mostly symbolic, on the SC-55.

Head for VOGONS forum and the module manuals, you'll get a much better understanding without needing to ask too much too soon ;)

The Vogons forum is exactly why I have no idea what MIDI card to buy.

I'll look there for more info on the SC-55 though.

Ahh. If you're on real old stuff, ISA cards and such are your era. Look into the MT32 cards in a slot, but they are hens teeth. Other options but i'm not the best one to answer.

Back