What's new

AlxUnderBase

Champion
Reaction score
do the m92 games run better on m107 motherboard?
The proper word is "correctly" . we cannot say "better" or "worst" since they work fine on M107
If you ask me , i don't know , but Apocalypse test them and know more things about this . On that page are few comments related about this .
What i know is Apocalypse comes with this solution for M92 multi as a certain thing , but since the Irem M92 Multi will be released by Brizzo we can't know what Brizzo's planning further for M92 hardware. This is what we know for moment (all M92 running correctly on M107 hardware)

dexster

Student
Reaction score
totally understand - i just got over excited by the wording in your post 8)
what ever the case with the m92 (or m107) i am keen ;

Nebula

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The proper word is "correctly" . we cannot say "better" or "worst" since they work fine on M107
If you ask me , i don't know , but Apocalypse test them and know more things about this . On that page are few comments related about this .
What i know is Apocalypse comes with this solution for M92 multi as a certain thing , but since the Irem M92 Multi will be released by Brizzo we can't know what Brizzo's planning further for M92 hardware. This is what we know for moment (all M92 running correctly on M107 hardware)
I think he asked about slowdowns on ITH, for example.
However I believe running them on M107 will not solve those problems, they are more about not optimized code and bandwidth issues

Edit: I just see that fire barrel V33 cpu runs at 14Mhz instead of 12Mhz of M92 games, don’t know if this would affect to those slowdowns in original hardware

djsheep

Multi Boyz Overlord
Immortal
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
No one knows anything firm about the multi or it’s compatibility except for @brizzo himself — any speculation or information outside of what he says isn’t reliable at all.

For all anyone knows, the multi might only work with Gunforce… wouldn’t that be funny.

ekorz

Multi Boyz 4 Pi
Legendary
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
This is what it takes to convert Gunforce to another game: https://www.arcade-projects.com/thr...on-to-gunforce-ii-irem-m92.11212/#post-180893

Any other game is much easier to convert. It’s just rom and jumper swaps basically. So we all do agree it is more likely the multi will be compatible with any other game.

If the multi is a complete rom-board replacement this is all moot, but that’s also not likely because of the variety of chips involved.

Hieroneus

Beginner
Reaction score
Gunbird is a lot easier to get, other m92 games are very hard to find.

ekorz

Multi Boyz 4 Pi
Legendary
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
Gunbird is a lot easier to get, other m92 games are very hard to find.
Gunforce is easier to get for the reason mentioned above. It is difficult to convert to any other game, and unlikely as a multi-candidate.

AlxUnderBase

Champion
Reaction score
Guys , if you are looking for M92 donor ... in my daily researches i've found one and the cost is 384$ + shipping costs ! Give me a sign if you need it :happy: !

ps : i paid 160euros + shipping 2 years ago. But not too much hardwares M92 sub 200 euros on the market nowdays .

Last edited:

AlxUnderBase

Champion
Reaction score
They’re out there. This guy offered $340 AUD ($266 USD) after I watched his auction: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/184809700993

Didn’t buy it as I have a m92 set already. Still think $250-300 max is the right price for Major Title 2…
Yes matey , but for what i post it's about Perfect Soldier (for my pocket is too much) :happy: idk if is rated on the same money . if you ask me , for me doesn't matter (i love to have only conversions if you ask me , but i know this isn't possible) . Major Title 2 are the cheapest solution to be prepared for M92 Multi . 266 USD sounds awesome for MT2 . Lucky winner who got it !

djsheep

Multi Boyz Overlord
Immortal
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
Good prices are out there still :) As always, appreciate your efforts looking out for people. I wonder if the multi will come out anytime soon also…

Apocalypse

Staff member
Legendary
Reaction score
Just realised I started that thread more than 3.5 years ago.
Then I decided to dig deeper.
I don't know how far I will go, I'm putting the details here in case it can help others.

There are 5 busses shared with the romboard (using MAME's terminology):
- maincpu: 16 bit
- soundcpu: 16 bit but only t bithe LSB is shared with the motherboard, romboard having most of the digital audio circuitry (sound CPU, ROMs, RAMs)
- gfx1 (tiles): 4 x 8 bit
- gfx2 (sprites): 4 x 8 bit OR 8 x 8 bit (more on that later down)
- irem (samples): 8 bit

maincpu (CN1):
- nothing special here, busses are shared with the EEPROM for Major Title (though the address decoding for it is done in the 08J27504 custom chip)
- some buffers/transceivers to avoid bus contention

soundcpu (CN3):
- encrypted CPU, ROMs and RAMs are located on the romboard
- again nothing special, it's possible to run decrypted code allowing to use a standard V35 CPU (no need to scavenge OG romboards)

gfx1/tiles (CN1):
- the major hurdle here is tile decoding is done by the QFP160 08J27504 custom chip. As mentioned before, pin count is to be expected since it accesses 4 x 8 bit ROMs, 2 x 32kb RAMs, using 16 address lines and 10 data lines from the main CPU. It also accomplishes a couple of other functions (generates SYNC signal, EEPROM OE signal, etc.). Seems scary but actually it mostly contains the logic found on M72-B-D boards (bottom).

gfx2/sprites (CN2):
- direct access through CN2
- however there's one peculiarity: games can access either 4 x 8 bit ROMs or 8 x 8 bit ROMs. It's called either "byte" or "word" access and can be set with a jumper. In "byte" access games use ROMs 00/10/20/30, in word access ROMs 00/01/10/11/20/21/30/31. The annoying thing is... It means 4 x 16 bit flashes are needed. Even more annoying is all games have at least one version in "byte" mode except Superior Soldiers/Perfect Soldiers. And of course the latter can't use the "byte" mode since it's using a total of 8 MB for sprites and we are short one address line to access that much. So 2 of the flashes would be used solely for Superior Soldiers/Perfect Soldiers... Also comparing two versions of the same game (In The Hunt) I'm under the impression some registers are set differently when using the "word" access (could be patched of course, but useless for Superior Soldiers/Perfect Soldiers since we would still be missing one address line).

irem/samples (CN2):
- again direct access, nothing special here

Last edited: