What's new

Kujako

Grand Master
Reaction score
So, picked up a big pile of parts which includes a seemingly complete set of wiring for EL panels (including two sets of panels and an inverter) along with the cables for a memory card reader (which I think I have a working one of). However, all the wires look the same... any guidance out there for hooking this mess up to see if it all works? Fair chance there's multiple wiring sets in here. Just not sure which cable goes where. Goal is to see if it works and then think about upgrading my big red two slot to a four now that I have a working MV4 board (or put it in along side the MV2F with a JAMMA switcher for a pseudo six slot). Would love to replace the single florescence bulb with on of the ELD panels.

1669578768049.jpeg

Get the LED Marquee kit. Good chance if you got it all wired up correctly, the ELA panels or the PCB controller board (the one in the middle bottom) are dead after 30 years anyway.
Yeah, but they're here... so wanted to see if they have life before I start in on the aftermarket options.

Last edited:
So much goodness! I’m at the start of a similar project but my gear is much more battered than yours.

Looks like you have
1 x MV-ELA (this is the inverter board with the transformer on it)
2 x MV-ELC1/2 (these are the light boards with the EL panels on)

The MV-ELA is connected to the main PCB via an 8 pin JST cable.
The MV-ELC 1 is daisy chsined off the MV-ELA with a 13 pin JST cable
The MV-ELC 2 is daisy chained off the ELC1 with a 13 pin JST cable.

All 2,4 and 6 slot boards should have the right connectors for the MV-ELA. I don’t know of any single slot boards with this connector…

So much goodness! I’m at the start of a similar project but my gear is much more battered than yours.

Looks like you have
1 x MV-ELA (this is the inverter board with the transformer on it)
2 x MV-ELC1/2 (these are the light boards with the EL panels on)

The MV-ELA is connected to the main PCB via an 8 pin JST cable.
The MV-ELC 1 is daisy chsined off the MV-ELA with a 13 pin JST cable
The MV-ELC 2 is daisy chained off the ELC1 with a 13 pin JST cable.

All 2,4 and 6 slot boards should have the right connectors for the MV-ELA. I don’t know of any single slot boards with this connector…
Thanks. Think part of my confusion is I do have multiple sets of wires here and the coin counters also use 13 pin JST cables. But thinking they're all interchangeable. Also not 100% sure on the order for the memory card reader board. There are two cables and two sets of connectors on the main board and the card board. Will have to dig around for documentation.

Edit 1: Shoot... looking through everything again, I seem to be missing the 8pin cable. Can jury-rig something up, but I wonder if it's a straight through connection or reversed. Meaning that if I look at both 8pin connectors straight on, is it pin one to pin one or pin one to pin eight?

Edit 2: Based on this cable, looks like it's pin one to pin one. https://www.ebay.fr/itm/175051495283

Edit 3: Gave it a try, and the panels seem no good. The inverter makes a lovely high pitched series of noises as it cycles through the panels but only two of them light (one per set) and then not very brightly or evenly. Ah well, was worth trying. The MV-LED2s work great, no issues there. Will try to wire up the memory card reader when I can determine the order the cables connect in.

Last edited:
Thanks. Think part of my confusion is I do have multiple sets of wires here and the coin counters also use 13 pin JST cables. But thinking they're all interchangeable. Also not 100% sure on the order for the memory card reader board. There are two cables and two sets of connectors on the main board and the card board. Will have to dig around for documentation.

Edit 1: Shoot... looking through everything again, I seem to be missing the 8pin cable. Can jury-rig something up, but I wonder if it's a straight through connection or reversed. Meaning that if I look at both 8pin connectors straight on, is it pin one to pin one or pin one to pin eight?

Edit 2: Based on this cable, looks like it's pin one to pin one. https://www.ebay.fr/itm/175051495283
It is just a pass-thru cable. So with the edges of the connector facing away from each other, pin 1 goes to pin 8 and so on and so forth. The spacing is 2.50 mm and uses JST NH series connectors. You can get a kit off Amazon with connectors and pins.
Edit 3: Gave it a try, and the panels seem no good. The inverter makes a lovely high pitched series of noises as it cycles through the panels but only two of them light (one per set) and then not very brightly or evenly. Ah well, was worth trying.
Usually means the PCB is dead. Pretty common.
The MV-LED2s work great, no issues there.
Woot!
Will try to wire up the memory card reader when I can determine the order the cables connect in.
I believe there are markings on the motherboard and the underside of the PCB. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

Edit 3: Gave it a try, and the panels seem no good. The inverter makes a lovely high pitched series of noises as it cycles through the panels but only two of them light (one per set) and then not very brightly or evenly. Ah well, was worth trying. The MV-LED2s work great, no issues there. Will try to wire up the memory card reader when I can determine the order the cables connect in.
Not necessarily. In my experience “burnt out” EL panels will make the controller emit a high pitched whine. At this point any original EL panel will be burnt out. I’ve replaced several panels in several cabs because of this and every time replacing the panel fixed the whine and the new panel lit up great. You can source new panels on eBay or glowhut.com

Not necessarily. In my experience “burnt out” EL panels will make the controller emit a high pitched whine. At this point any original EL panel will be burnt out. I’ve replaced several panels in several cabs because of this and every time replacing the panel fixed the whine and the new panel lit up great. You can source new panels on eBay or glowhut.com
My understanding (and in my case) there is always a whine, but the pitch and decibels vary depending on the panel conditions (failed panels have high resistance). With mine, there is still a whine even when panels are disconnected. But, it may be that working panels alleviate this. What I'd like to do is test the panels directly, but not sure my workbench can output 50v at the needed amperage. For now, I'll set everything aside (trying to see how much of my project backlog I can get through before 2023).

I can’t say for sure in your case, but I’ve seen the whine with burnt out panels on 3 different cabs. Fixed it each time. The panels are reasonably cheap at less than $50 and you keep it original.

Back