What's new

Mattroid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I'd been on the fence for years about getting into the whole 3D printer craze. After a lot of research here and there I never could settle on something that sounded like what I wanted in an entry level printer. After reading through @'twistedsymphony''s great posts along with the fact that I've found myself buying more and more 3D printed parts over the last year or so, I figured I should finally just give it go.

So I did.

I've mostly been printing stuff multiple times with different settings trying to get used to what changes do what and that sort of thing. Well, for another side project I'm hoping start soon, I recently ordered several broken NGPCs and at least two of them are missing the battery covers. I found this NGPC battery cover which works well, but I also needed a cover for the coin cell battery. When I couldn't find one, I figured this was a good simple design I could take on myself.

Surprisingly, the first version I printed was functional in that it fit properly and I could even open and close it without a coin, which was nice. But I still wanted a coin slot to match the original and the one I put in place was too wide and just didn't work. After that and a few other minor tweaks I had a pretty dang solid design, I think.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2087274

NGP_Coin_Cell_Battery_Cover.jpg
NGPC_Coin_Cell_Battery_Cover_Comparison.jpg

I know it's not much but I'm pretty happy with it for being my first design and that it's something that can actually be used. I know a lot of NGPs out there are missing these covers, so I hope others find it useful. It fits both the original Neo Geo Pocket and the Neo Geo Pocket Color, but not the NGPC Slim.

Attachments

• NGPC_Coin_Cell_Battery_Cover.jpg
    NGPC_Coin_Cell_Battery_Cover.jpg
    503.1 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
nice work!
that's a tough part to print too because of the overhang.

what are you using for 3D modeling software?

Thanks! Yeah, it warps a bit but still works quite nicely in the end.

Right now I'm using Tinkercad in an effort to start out simple and start getting into the a design mindset before I try anything else. I figure once I start needing to do stuff that Tinkercad just can't do or where I have to jump through a bunch of hoops to make it work in some round about way, then it'll be time for an upgrade :)

Back