What's new

Would you be interested in buying an N64 to Aleck 64 Cartridge Adapter?

• Total voters

redorlando101

Student
Reaction score
I'm super excited to try this thing out.
I designed a cart housing that is free to download on thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5407426

IMG_20220609_213910328.jpg

it includes both a normal cart back as well as a version specific to the N64 adapter.

Also just like my other cart housing designs each half is also able to mate with the opposite half of an original cart housing.

IMG_20220606_192857381.jpg

redorlando101

Student
Reaction score
TEXAS HERE. I just got mine in. Works great. I did test a cheap multi-cart ( ED64 Plus) and it does not boot on the Aleck64. FYI.

andynumbers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got mine the other day and tested it today. It seems that most games I've tested don't work. However, I can't confirm it's a dirty cart issue, or a CIC issue. Surely all of the games that do not work don't all have dirty contacts... (I try to keep my carts clean!)

I think that if Krikzz can figure out why Everdrives don't work (Possibly a CIC issue?) then using an Everdrive is obviously the way to go here.

Tested not working:
Donkey Kong 64 US
Hoshi no Kirby 64 JP
Super Smash Bros. US
GoldenEye 007 US
Pilotwings 64 JP
Mario Tennis US
Ocarina of Time (1.1) US

Tested working:
Majora's Mask (US)
F-Zero X (US)
F-Zero X (JP)
Magical Tetris Challenge feat. Mickey (JP)

andynumbers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also wanted to add this opinion:

Now that I've tested and seen what games look like on a cab through this board, I can confidently say: Don't go out of your way to get this for a JAMMA N64 solution. The video quality is not that great. It looks like Seta used a crappy MAX232 for amplifying the RGB video to TTL levels. It's still quite dark and you may have to turn the contrast knob way up on your arcade monitor.

You would be a lot better off simply using a consumer N64 (RGB modded of course) and a console to JAMMA adapter of some sort.

I'm still very grateful for Brizzo for tackling this project. I can at least test my Aleck board that came with no carts! But I think now that I've tried it, it's going back on the shelf. :)

redorlando101

Student
Reaction score
I also wanted to add this opinion:

Now that I've tested and seen what games look like on a cab through this board, I can confidently say: Don't go out of your way to get this for a JAMMA N64 solution. The video quality is not that great. It looks like Seta used a crappy MAX232 for amplifying the RGB video to TTL levels. It's still quite dark and you may have to turn the contrast knob way up on your arcade monitor.

You would be a lot better off simply using a consumer N64 (RGB modded of course) and a console to JAMMA adapter of some sort.

I'm still very grateful for Brizzo for tackling this project. I can at least test my Aleck board that came with no carts! But I think now that I've tried it, it's going back on the shelf. :)
I'd like to see comparison shots using the same game when you get a chance (N64 RGB VS Aleck64). It looks good to me.

redorlando101

Student
Reaction score
The stereo output is a little low. I think the board may need an external amp. I am not sure.