What's new

Fluffy

Champion
Reaction score
My N64 displays an incredibly dark picture on my ancient Sony Bravia. A google search shows up several hits, but nobody with a definite solution...

It is RGB modded, and it is from the time before Nintendo removed the RGB DAC, so it is just extra wires to the AV connector.

Before I start with random changes, has anyone seen this before and fixed it? I'll probably start with a cheap RGB AMP board to see if that fixed it.

Edit: Just cracked it open, the RGB lines are directly connected to the AV connector. I'll order an RGB AMP board and report back.

Last edited:
What kind of RGB mod is it? "Official" mod (if your model is an early FRA one), TSH7314, etim, something handmade?

What kind of RGB mod is it? "Official" mod (if your model is an early FRA one), TSH7314, etim, something handmade?
Currently installed are only cables from the vias to the AV connector, what I ordered is a THS7374 based board. This was done before I got it. The N64 is an early Japanese model.

Could definitely be that. The "official" mod populates few resistors and caps so as 3 transistors for RGB signals amplification.

N64 "official" mod
I wasn't aware that there was an original RGB mod... it definitely sucks that Nintendo doesn't support RGB on N64 or GameCube by design. No idea if that was to cut costs, or to make imports more difficult.

Currently installed are only cables from the vias to the AV connector, what I ordered is a THS7374 based board. This was done before I got it. The N64 is an early Japanese model.
The mod is definitely your problem. You need to buffer the RGBS signals.

Back