Aurich

Champion
Reaction score
OG Splitfire gang

IMG_4062.jpg

Zepherino

Student
Reaction score
It took me a while, but I finally made a case that sorta works. I used the sides of the JAMMA connector as the mounting point for a few reasons, but mainly because I didn't have any other choice. I like that it has the added benefit of reinforcing the infamously fragile sides of the Hirose connector slot, although it was sadly too late for mine, since I had already damaged it well before I created this case. AFAIK there shouldn't be many clearance issues, except maybe some acrylic enclosures that extend past the JAMMA edge. It definitely works for stuff like the unusually restrictive CPS2, and the MiSTer JAMMA Expander. Although I included grooves on the sides of the case for easier removal, one unintentional benefit that I realized afterwards came from the opening I included for viewing the PCB logo. I can basically use the bottom of that opening as a handle, and pull on it to easily remove the Splitfire from a game PCB with even force. I'm sure anyone who uses this regularly knows how nice this is vs taking it out unevenly and damaging the edges of the connector (usually the dark, in a rush, late at night, on the floor under a cab... ask me how I know)

I'm certain there's a better, cleaner, smarter way of doing this (I definitely didn't follow the rule of KiSS here), but I had enough of staring at this and reprinting over and over for test fits and clearance...

20210926_020847.jpg
20210926_020807.jpg
20210926_015734.jpg
20210926_015806.jpg
20210926_020621.jpg

opt2not

Multi Boyz Pixeler
Enlightened
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
Question about a VGA-SCART passthrough.

I've got a RetroTink 5x that only takes a SCART input. No VGA input.
I want to connect my Splitfire VGA output and connect it to the RT5x. I built a VGA-to-SCART passthrough adapter going from the VGA pins for R,G,B, Composite Sync, GND, and RGB Switch. The only components in the SCART head is a 470 ohm Resistor on the Composite Sync line.

Do you think this is fine for a passthrough? I was wondering if I needed to add the video grounds for each color, or any other connections. This diagram seems to have the video grounds bridged to the color pins, unless I'm reading this wrong?

God I hate SCART.

image.png

opt2not

Multi Boyz Pixeler
Enlightened
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
Nvm. Got it sorted. I just connected the video grounds according to the vga pinout.

2AC6069E-5630-455C-904C-D931FD03FFDE.jpeg

2BE39214-3588-477B-965A-54AE68E5572C.jpeg

B7FB976F-CF45-4C87-B319-F1E5C5FBDDA5.jpeg

Splitfire to RetroTINK 5x looks fabulous for PCB’s that don’t have wacky sync. But boards like Taito F3 still have sync issues (curling at the top).

imbord3rlin3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im ready to pounce on this like a rabid hyena. ive been wanting to stream arcade hardware since i started the hobby. im super excited.

mikaeltarquin

Student
Reaction score
Splitfire to RetroTINK 5x looks fabulous for PCB’s that don’t have wacky sync. But boards like Taito F3 still have sync issues (curling at the top).
Have you tried using an Extron RGB with the SERR dipswitch flipped? That tends to help issues like that, such as with the Dreamcast.

opt2not

Multi Boyz Pixeler
Enlightened
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
Have you tried using an Extron RGB with the SERR dipswitch flipped? That tends to help issues like that, such as with the Dreamcast.
I don’t own an Extron RGB. Got a recommendation what is a good cheap one that would work?

mikaeltarquin

Student
Reaction score
I don’t own an Extron RGB. Got a recommendation what is a good cheap one that would work?
If you check eBay (just search Extron RGB), look for options with VGA in and out and a SERR dipswitch. I assume by curling at the top you mean like the top of the image starts warping off to one side, kinda like the attached image? I can't find a photo, but this was what my Dreamcast would do on my BVM before cleaning the signal with an Extron.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144070276543

Attachments

• 2021-09-30_00-09-37_powerpnt.png
    2021-09-30_00-09-37_powerpnt.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 14

opt2not

Multi Boyz Pixeler
Enlightened
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
If you check eBay (just search Extron RGB), look for options with VGA in and out and a SERR dipswitch. I assume by curling at the top you mean like the top of the image starts warping off to one side, kinda like the attached image? I can't find a photo, but this was what my Dreamcast would do on my BVM before cleaning the signal with an Extron.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144070276543
Yeah that’s the curling.

So these devices output via BNC and VGA? Or just BNC?

kazuyajin1080

Student
Reaction score
I got to test one of these with one of my buddies and this product is definitely legit :)

I can't wait for the storefront to open and hopefully be able to secure one for when I have to record or store local arcades for recording cabinet purposes :)

Just wanna say great stuff and good work on a fine product