What's new

notsonic

Champion
Reaction score
EDIT: You (probably) want to face the CPU fans in the opposite direction of my pictures (ie. fan hub towards the heatsink.) This orientation should better match the original inset fans and the original airflow into the middle of the heatsink and out the sides.

I just replaced the fans on my Naomi 2 so I wanted to write it up.
PXL_20220202_231711572 (1).jpg

What you need:
CPU:
2x Noctua NF-A4x10 5V 40mm x 10mm fans for the CPUs
8x 3mm x 16mm screws

Case:
1x Gelid Silent 6 FN-SX06-32 12v 60mm x 60mm x 15mm fan

1x 2 Pin Male AMP UP Connector 176271-1
2x Male AMP UP Pins 175151-1
or
splice the old connector with solder/tape/whatever you want.

The case fan is pretty straightforward, but it's 3 wires and they're all black, so you'll need to identify power and ground. Just cut the sense wire short. Power is the middle wire.
LED Fan (7)-600x600.jpg
(not my pic)

Cut the connector off the new fan and crimp on a new connector or splice on the old connector on, matching ground to black and power to red. I spliced mine since it seems I have everything but 2 pin amp connectors on hand.
PXL_20220202_223940248.jpg

The fan fits slightly snug as it's actually 15.5mm thick, but it does fit. Make sure you face the grill part outwards, as that's the way the fan (and generally all fans) blows.
PXL_20220202_224112282.jpg

Onto the CPU fans, they're more or less straightforward too.
PXL_20220202_230325980.jpg
First you need to repin the connectors. The wire colors match the original fans, but the position doesn't. Basically just swap black and red. It's really easy: press down on the tab on the pin from the side of the connector and it should slide right out. You might need to pry the tab back up if it doesn't lock back into place. The connector will fit just fine on the motherboard headers, but it isn't keyed, so pay attention to the orientation.
PXL_20220202_231700629.jpg
The Noctua fan mounting points are smaller than the original fans. Just orient the fan so its more or less centered. Then you can carefully screw the screws into the heatsink. They will thread themselves between the fins and should hold tight and go in nice and straight. Basically just don't be stupid.

Power it on and make sure all the fans spin before you put the case back together. Nothing bad should happen if you got the wires wrong, and afaik it won't boot.

And that's it. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Awesome write up!!! Definitely going to use this as a reference if/when I replace my Naomi 2 fans. One small thing I am not sure if you have encountered... have you ever had to reattach the heatsinks? Mine have popped off and I was wondering if I should be using thermal paste or glue (type/brand)?

That's not something I've had to personally deal with, so I don't really have any suggestions.

I assume paste wouldn't be enough to do the job correctly, so you'd probably use a thermal glue or thermal epoxy. That said, the permanence of that feels a bit scary. I wonder if thin adhesive thermal pads would be enough. I'm not sure what the heat output of the CPUs is.

You have the fans the other way around, since in the case of the Naomi 2 you have to dissipate the heat and at the same time help cool the geometric processor of the Naomi 2, which is the one without a fan, in my experience they are the first to break down when there is inefficient ventilation capacity

I also did it the same way and ended up failing my Naomi 2 😅😔😓😭

Hmm, good to know. I'll flip em around.

Edit: Flipped the fans around and took a pic to compare the blade orientation to the stock fans. I'm terrible with fan orientation, so tbh I really can't confirm the original fans blow into the heatsink.

Attachments

• PXL_20220311_021105628.jpg
    PXL_20220311_021105628.jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 78
  • PXL_20220311_021945356.jpg
    PXL_20220311_021945356.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Hmm, good to know. I'll flip em around.

Edit: Flipped the fans around and took a pic to compare the blade orientation to the stock fans. I'm terrible with fan orientation, so tbh I really can't confirm the original fans blow into the heatsink.
With that you help a lot to increase the useful life of your naomi 2. excellent work

I just piece together a working unit from a couple dead boards. This will help, seem like heat is the major killer in these. Where are you buy the Gelid Silent 6 FN-SX06-32 from? I can seem to find any here in Canada.

I never seen a Naomi 2 with the old style heating. They have all been the one with silver heat sink.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip I just changed the case fan on mine. A tip though is that you can actually push the pins out of the connectors and just swap them over.

Back