What's new

marvo

Beginner
Reaction score
I recently got a netboot setup going with a NAOMI 1 and a NetDIMM running firmware 4.02. Everything was going well for a couple hours. I was playing Monkey Ball and Crazy Taxi with no issues. Then at one point during Crazy Taxi, the game froze and the audio was stuck in a 1 second loop. I rebooted the NAOMI, went through checking memory, loading, checking memory, then got an error 31 "This game is not acceptable by main board." I tried several more times with the same result. I ran the RAM test and it all came back good. I ran the DIMM test and got a BAD result for DIMM0. I ran this test when I put the setup together and got all good results.

Here is what I've tried so far:

- Reseat the NetDIMM
- Clean contacts and reseat.
- Open up NetDIMM and reseat RAM and network board.
- Try using the NetDIMM with the top off of the NAOMI (to ensure its fully seated).
- Try netbooting other games (same result)
- Try using the NetDIMM with a CF adapter in GD-ROM mode. I think I got an error 21 or 22 in this mode. It looped through loading and checking memory 3 times before rebooting with an error.
- Try using a different DIMM (not net dimm) with a GD-ROM to try and isolate the issue. It worked with no issues so it doesn't seem likely to be the NAOMI itself.
- Checked voltages. They were running a tad high. 3.3 was running at about 3.4 and 5 was at a bout 5.2. This was not under heavy load, just during the NAOMI splash screen. I did adjust them to 3.3 and 5.1 after the fact.

Could it be that the buffer chip is fried? Would that cause these symptoms? It seems like error 31 could have a lot of causes based on my research.

===============
Edit - SOLVED
TL;DR: I needed a new stick of RAM.

The first stick I bought did not work and failed the same way the original one did. This led me to believe that it might have been something else going on. I replaced the buffer chip and even went so far as to swap my firmware chip over to a completely different base board with no success. I ended up buying 3 more sticks of RAM and found one that worked: Samsung M366S6453CTS-C7A.
I still don't know why my original stick just stopped working and why the second stick didn't work (its one of the verified working ones in the thread mentioned below).

Attachments

• naomi-dimm-test.png
    naomi-dimm-test.png
    894.5 KB · Views: 64
  • naomi-error-31.png
    naomi-error-31.png
    778.4 KB · Views: 59
  • naomi-ram-test.png
    naomi-ram-test.png
    540.6 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
This does seem odd. Normally I tell people to get another working 0 key to rule that out, as it can cause the error 31, but the audio loop/freeze is interesting.

The 0 keys floating around should support netboot or CF depending on jumper settings. If neither work, ruling the PIC out is probably in order.

I actually have two zero keys so I swapped in the other one and I still have the same problem so it seems to be less likely to be that. If it was the PIC would that cause the DIMM test to fail?

Zerokey is not an issue if you enable the timehack in chunksins wipi image.

90% sure the issue is the ram.

Zerokey is not an issue if you enable the timehack in chunksins wipi image.

90% sure the issue is the ram.
It's looking like you're right. I only have a 128mb dimm available to me right now but I swapped it into the netdimm and I was able to play virtua tennis (a rather small game heh). I bought a new 512mb stick on ebay so we'll see how that works out. Hopefully it isn't a problem with addressing higher memory ranges. I'll update this thread when I get a chance to try it.

Got my new 512mb stick. Dimm test still shows bad result. Same error 31 as expected. The dimm test fails around 40% when checking the slot. Same as the old stick. I also got some replacement buffer chips. Seems like they are a common point of failure so I might just go ahead and replace it.

Edit: I replaced the buffer chip and now my dimm test is passing. I figured I solved it but I still get error 31.. Tried both zero keys as well as the cf adapter and still the same issue. Seems like that buffer chip had something to do with it though. Are there any other components that commonly fail like that?

Edit 2: you can see how the game name is garbled in the service menu. It really does seem like bad ram but I can't conclusively say it is yet. This is with the new stick that was verified in a pc with memtest.

Attachments

• 20230806_010320.jpg
    20230806_010320.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 20230806_011213.jpg
    20230806_011213.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Yeah its a Micron MT16LSDT6464AG-133C2 from that thread.

Edit: Solved. Check the original post for the solution.

Last edited:
Back