What's new

santa978

Professional
Reaction score
Hi yo, I hope you guys are doing well, I have a question about the Naomi VGA cable, all the cables I have that came with the units have one pin missing. Is this normal ? is it OK to use a regular PC VGA cable on Naomi to say a Nano arcade monitor? The blue VGA is for PC

Attachments

• 20210517_150429.jpg
    20210517_150429.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 143
  • 20210517_150338.jpg
    20210517_150338.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 279
I mean, whenever I set up my naomi, I just use whatever VGA cable I've got lying around lol. Never had any issues.

This is normal and it's actually preferred over a fully pinned VGA cable due to the way the NAOMI monitors use this pin differently than normal VGA monitors.

the NAOMI provides 5V on this pin but it's grounded on a lot of monitor chassis... which is bad news if the pin is connected.

Is this the same on both Naomi and Naomi 2 units? I cut it short with wire clips on the cable I use for now, it’s to hard to cut it out completely

yes

search ebay for an original NAOMI VGA cable, or make your own by using a pair of needle nose pliers to rip the pin out.
Ripping the pin out wasn’t working for me, I just couldn’t get it free. Did some looking and it’s not hard to find them on Amazon or other cable distributors by searching “14 pin VGA”

This is bonkers, and likely why my old naomi setup ended up having a blow trace on my filter board I had to repair lmao.
Wtf Sega.

Since that repair I just been using the standard Sega vga cables with the missing pin but this was news to me.

Well shit.

… and could it screw up the sound as well ?
4565F131-C029-477B-B799-6544E9DE902D.jpeg

Oof yeah your probably gonna want to patch those some how haha.

This is how I repaired mine.
https://twitter.com/_GeekMan_/status/1427781086621339648

NICE!! thank you !

I looked in my Virtua Golf cab and it's indeed missing a pin.

I probably plugged that Naomi in a tv with a full cable :( ... and was wondering why it died. I bought another board only, used that filter board and had "issues" and when I looked at it following this thread I went /facepalm.... good thing I had another working filterboard.

New rule: since there is not enough cable in a Naomi setup, I am adding another one (https://www.amazon.com/-/fr/StarTech-com-Câble-dextension-femelle-MXT101/dp/B0002AFAR6/ref=sr_1_10) at ALL TIME:
IMG_8534.jpg

...and "short" of the filterboard, anyone know what else this can fry and explain why the board is dead now?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thanks again @GeekMan1222 !!

followed your lead and beeped the broken sound and screen pins, stitched'em
IMG_8539.jpg

and voilà, all fixed and working!

IMG_8541.jpg

ps: It unfortunatly didn't make me better @Ikaruga
Nice work!
Yeah originally when I was doing the repair I instantly thought how am I supposed to get a wire around this filter board lol.

Luckily those unused component via's can accomodate a thin mod wire to pass through or you can solder to them so long as they are not used by anything :)

Back