What's new

KaPH33n

Champion
Reaction score
I just got in my first motion cab. It's relatively modern, from 2007 I think? It's currently not fully working, but I think I can work my way through the issues? I will be uploading images to a google photots gallery here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/LLLVN2ESEvtChqog8
ssZ4rzPX2-ik1jov3smBr5uwg=w721-h1281-no?authuser=0.jpg

So the first issues I have noticed are that it only came with 1 power cord, but the manual says it requires 2. What kind of connector is that on the left? That's where the power input for the motion base is, according to the manual. When I look inside the cab none of those 3 pins are ground. It's a Black, White, and Red wires coming from the pins? I'm guessing that means it's supposed to be 240v AC 2 phase? Or the color of the wiring is just wrong? In the manual it says that it should take in 120v AC and then convert it to 220 for the motion base?
vYUzO4qkp47Y8xGDaKoHw2Tg=w1708-h1281-no?authuser=0.jpg

So other than the power not being right, someone moved the cab halves while they weren't screwed into each other and that caused the scsi port to get ripped off of the motherboard on the motion base.
NWFxrucYUufiz8OrJqRLvUrQ=w1708-h1281-no?authuser=0.jpg

jGzefmxN9DWekWTVgesCP9ZQ=w1708-h1281-no?authuser=0.jpg

at least that one is just a standard scsi connector I believe. It should be easy enough to buy a right angle scsi connector and remove the old pins from the pcb. hopefully no broken traces or other damage happened.

And this molex connector got yanked off :( but again it should be an easy fix.
gtq3tO0FrxwIKenFIUgra5lPw=w721-h1281-no?authuser=0.jpg

I found the odd power cable in the coin box... guess I should have looked in there earlier. I still don't know exactly what kind of connector that is, but I have it. It is a screw on kind.

very interesting, I had no idea they made a motion cab version of NFS.

the force feedback IO boards in those were highly sought after for a time because they're perfect for Force Feedback in a MAME driving cab. Not sure if this one would use the same IO but if it does this could be a great cab for running a multi-driving setup.

very interesting, I had no idea they made a motion cab version of NFS.

the force feedback IO boards in those were highly sought after for a time because they're perfect for Force Feedback in a MAME driving cab. Not sure if this one would use the same IO but if it does this could be a great cab for running a multi-driving setup.
I actually parted out the tower half of one of the standard versions of this game... i might have a spare somewhere? I don't know about running mame in it as a multi driving setup but that sounds cool... One thing I would really like to try is just getting carbon installed on the computer? Or even getting an additional computer to run it? If i could use this cab to do the motion version of nfs carbon too that would be great. This thing is huge so the more games it can do the better. I'm also never planning to operate this thing in the wild (too much liability).

From what I am learning the motion in this cab is all done with electric motors. no hydraulics. the manual keeps on repeating over and over that this needs a dedicated 20 amp circuit with nothing else on it, and that it takes 2 power cords.

Finally had a second to work on this NFSU cab again. I pulled apart the motion base and was able to remove this PCB housing, despite a few stripped and bent screws...
6J1uVJUjvL04wzK2qy3uzAYA7FiRuMKadjBDdq2xLcTK1JPfu0c98QTxkVqeeJ8YXTXGysvwUkzr4pPEyZrMx3iO1tXc98goG_Klq-Gb9htLBUg_Jeo-OLu3jQ9uGuJjNodPt1mXBYFuCcnYKVm3DtbsLif9x4-ZviMQE3608S7WFvoBP3UvX_lW6w2L310ZiCbJqGxa0jOSHRZJVL87NGNgt4tfvnbmnKjOmIysZq2M8--6uMZkU4AS-ti2gxyEkM26PgkexQLXFXtvcUoP3rktpTiZd9kJGxeQ-1TJd60SgSlgRy-vSCP5igLbLRIFmJ0iVNmtjoxFZuBbjPESEAN-lVot-OZbk3quCjfmtz42o8XvaJeVrz0yscvaBbeGKRJFEgIF3xb-Pv5dswGzdA1evYuOLBwPX_QqKYmRTR6GChCxNLjlSlQTsyIRYnuFqXRtAN1fDzZehr62ffktVVnmAm7BqmkoLVIoVPiToSFaHvK9QY19RitLYeJ1x-xUtwyJ-gbq0PiXkNimBAV4boVfuGPqXezY75XRsNq3ixTQyRdyt3aRlJtWHck7mzzvvtYvPznDv8cF5PQEEnnUJ1uhWRFNx2wAZDGYQnr1Goennjzi-Aqq1BEe2dOm9wVvZ1fx5A8ZR2oLNoKoLsG4c_1ltiIbM0drblEu7cw-VhG_yq8BGKtDxxTtqT4C6f0=w1708-h1281-no

9lAiHfRkOJsu_NI7XN5RpQt0G4vrOfqkxhfTZ3PPjB1l58GtgKzM5CMsUKdmxdTNYyuwvAOVRtVIJWFbXqSey4xd7LfTJLKa1115y3dW8K7dV_pYl8N1DPlquDmKWNnNzYtEPKhnhlRhS0PYA_WWIQ609V1fFc8hKQl7QlZxtJljrm0pSTSumOLJNl9dD3XF1Cm0hitsbzltmLk7u_inPbYIhAXAuCJgDxolVImKT4-AVw4P3C_9TR9uKUp2ssgkxN3hnpvpQg8CuHIgGprbhSCMeiJRKiKfv2srEGkReAjbTYDdHlibFhxcdlq0bEbOXxq8vNu7-N9ei9TRyAoC_qC5Cct25LrFtk4EeUUzfJfZmF-Nn6Y2YloZksHnUUV0t1HJSEaBQYpr28_g69W7Bnc_-yPXv0Sqt8NbOItquBB94Atw6zvJHOB1R7QA6C4cifzGSeP3pGIav861H2dxvKKCrYl6sFPMAUlQ7kTy_4UJL4c0Kbej4-VBxjod9XJOw4GdtRR7nbLbACBxHvCnu25EcA4A_kmvYNMxF5oMs9Sg58c3H4LBtPyv9hxNUBVf1i7YkaEEy2vRS9pIo6Tu6-c-R1PKDxeh21elXT2P8_fsU9WpwYeLGJtxkLewrLIICiWwqaiPHNwz_dTO-xbfK5BpeP9beiy0H_kJhUATQOPAKvreGMJm1E9YQiVWpkY=w961-h1281-no

I washed the pcb a little and I'm ready to start removing the old scsi db37 connector and soldering on a new one. Looks like there's a bodge wire connecting one of the pins to the other side of the pcb... No worries, just need to be extra meticulous
65s5IrRFYMfeG_fDjV-hhQEt-lX6BH-2JjtOVFhf1wx1ZuqXt8rCl0YUPnkHdMRGcvEEf1t-4WQUkgU1CGDzy0viyiNOVcfqLAM1SN4ZpRAF7pkwUbviyhB1igJPz0KAikL8x1WcNtvUYZdLAOv7wx3BWerIP93WiYxO5NR2r0EAbGr_1wWaw7JxkEumaVbZNuV06wSX2CO4YMUD1iAAsWK3SLK8WZu_aVURHQtBkR4qjpCJ7Uy-fEZBSxNkyBXK71kXTOnDjNjGPavQ9voaK_6-AVeZzKIC3DotmzP2SfWtDmcqbJIM5iP19ZHJI15NX-B5PUIv0Y6N-5aH1ObBaBQmSrWPN_JKEwM7Ul31usiyD1rGEJGNerGwOt47gvmeRBE5p6t_mRG8wuzQFfR0FsIkrDRNeMXL9nAL8GNJUiR1pv1pTw27oLrsX2CwsSC_K3pGfxcm9qktjJvttC5t1wIx6L-uu7dyKhipWbqYlnHNyA1wThGEkRjLSOJ_IhD9Vq97VQFLCuMv_9qcz3Qbd7pce7AG-uIoSx73iLVmYClFQtQgY2MfTHPXzmyFL_wrlMYH_D1RMwb17IEGsCvi4Pv2ilgY85TmRAMFlAhobtRoU1PuUYgtRcRguqx7ZRV8LTAYQUFQm6xsmL-M5-q4oTGJNJ62UNuGhKQH1Y548k7wZvXLUedneXm7gEL4wuA=w1708-h1281-no
I'm

FCCZvS4tsEGIVy4KMkrZcvc6moLgtjhzFF7-88wcNhKZlFPh83SKrTs-jq-fECtkwAPEL8z16RxjeywPfPILNlB4hOTme4BN2wlUFoCEEnN-zD4Pj5BNwS9e-Qc96pzGah3vC8CBZC4wHj7P2YxLwS74CAYgBOe18sDeOCLdFik6pMW9mC90EasHHrrpNyWsF2PkO3t0GRx_d8KbRS1bK0tHgc27hH8JddE4yPx_jE2LI2Y1dByp9iv6KWPZvEm_7XOM5fwgfJEB_nlt6B32l0KKxN3dxhxPkGc2lGg5PpisoY0YhYBasxl6F3MO1ovD1Q1793zR1NV2b1KYDoZ0uHkFUDJL_0b-WoL0EVNA8k93MfGc2NX2X3WIuMFELNCiiaXe8iXzm1soss3GZ_3C1K33YSr76vV6KwuFBoaejuFyHhgUmDSQRCJE8yyxsb1gL_BnTzie6uCTa5M_QDUPYQn2FN_5xezV-UGX8hJ_8hSeUbZSWLlv9FauT6KcTeVlA79QAGMa_A0zVDCh5rq9_z3owD_2HT2Q8ao--h98N_SYY4J04t9VqJ5KvwrHCFdP2HE0a6epEGHBECiFIDlj3vsLjPsgNtY505vWFae0Jq1YIkTO-lIchE7A-kE6NzWapYndiiGczzmiseK606iWFncIWiuUgXD_OAqyaGUSe2VMe9_KH_-WhBMNb0e2KtU=w1708-h1281-no

I am not actually sure it's necessary, it doesn't seem like anything is populated or plugged into the other side of this pcb? However I might as well get it back to the same condition it was in from the factory.

Putting a new connector on the board above fixed the motion base not working!!!

I would consider this cab now "fully functional" except a few small problems.
  • Need a new marquee it's all cracked (a friend says he has one for me?)
  • Replace all cabinet locks
  • put in coin mechs
  • Acquire a few pieces of hardware that was either stripped, bent, or missing
  • Acquire a new 6 speed gear shifter, mine was missing completely
  • clean everything up more
I'm super excited that this thing is now fully playable, with the deluxe motion working. It was quite a bit of debugging, cleaning, and repairing to get to this stage.

Last edited:
I received the machine without the 6 speed shifter or the E brake button. I had to source those separately. I did have the metal pieces that form a pedestal for the shifter and button, but disassembled. After I put the pieces I had together I realized I needed the 6 speed shifter, which isn't that easy to get it seems? I ended up buying a NOS shifter from suzo happ that is originally for NFS Carbon. The only difference is the top plate/sticker. I actually think the one for carbon looks better than the one for underground, but whatever. It was a lot cheaper for me to buy the Carbon one.

Oas9ffbiw6TvlcEYtF-UXfNs=w1004-h1338-no?authuser=0.jpg

my son keeps pressing MY E button while we are racing.... "Drives" me nuts!

Can't wait till we can have people over and he does it to unsuspecting souls :D

my son keeps pressing MY E button while we are racing.... "Drives" me nuts!

Can't wait till we can have people over and he does it to unsuspecting souls :D
Ha, well with this one he better stand back 3 feet! I haven't actually used the E brake much, I guess I need to get better at this game. The 6 speed shifter definitely makes it a lot more fun imo. I have a wheel that is sticky like we talked about in another thread... I am debating if I should try to clean it up or get a new one? I also just ordered some GlobalVR magnetic stripe cards that I can use with this game. I believe it is the only way you can play in Career Mode?

Ha, well with this one he better stand back 3 feet! I haven't actually used the E brake much, I guess I need to get better at this game. The 6 speed shifter definitely makes it a lot more fun imo. I have a wheel that is sticky like we talked about in another thread... I am debating if I should try to clean it up or get a new one? I also just ordered some GlobalVR magnetic stripe cards that I can use with this game. I believe it is the only way you can play in Career Mode?
Yes the cards will allow you to play the career mode and the E button will be used more ;)

And with such a shiny shifter, get yourself a new wheel man!

I found an old GVR wheel I had from a parted out NFSU, but I made it stickier trying to clean it. I decided to change it out with my other wheel, as long as they're both sticky I might as well use the one with the correct wheel cap. So now I have the chrome GVR wheel on it.
XjhVYerKvwn98qG2wNTmRXyI=w1708-h1281-no?authuser=0.jpg

I also purchased some NOS GlobalVR Player's Cards on eBay. I got 4 which I'm going to dedicate to this machine. It unlocked the Nissan 350z just by having the card. I need to drive a certain number of miles to get the GT-R. So that's exciting.
33bu8b3-YDqXEEPOvvHHZ1ML4=w961-h1281-no?authuser=0.jpg

One thing I noticed in the manual is that it mentions you need to use all 4 ports of the PCI USB expansion card. It says don't use any of the motherboard USB ports. When I got the machine it had the software key installed into one of the motherboard USB ports, and it was working... so I figured this was the right way to do it? I switched everything around to all 4 in the PCI card like the manual says to...

One other major factor is the monitor is a replacement LCD. I believe the original is a 52" LCD panel? At least the manual says 52" and based on the year of release I assume it's originally an LCD? There is not much in terms of pictures of this thing on the internet. It wouldn't be so bad, but the game has different resolutions at different points. At least 3 that I've noticed? This consumer TV replacement does turn on when the cabinet's power is applied automatically, but it also shows an OSD every time the resolution changes. I couldn't find any option to turn that off in the menus? I would like to find a OEM or other commercial LCD panel for it, but I'm not sure how to go about that cheaply?

I believe at this point I have fixed all of the non-functional gameplay parts of the cabinet. Some nitpicky fixes I might still do:
  • Buy a new wheel (once a decade?) for it
  • Replace the marquee
  • Replace the LCD with something better
  • Purchase and Install the correct shifter faceplate
  • Purchase the game install and recovery discs. Leave them with the cabinet and digitally backup.
I have plenty of other projects to keep me busy though so it might just be time to move on.

Last edited:
I found an old GVR wheel I had from a parted out NFSU, but I made it stickier trying to clean it. I decided to change it out with my other wheel, as long as they're both sticky I might as well use the one with the correct wheel cap. So now I have the chrome GVR wheel on it.
XjhVYerKvwn98qG2wNTmRXyI=w1708-h1281-no?authuser=0.jpg

I also purchased some NOS GlobalVR Player's Cards on eBay. I got 4 which I'm going to dedicate to this machine. It unlocked the Nissan 350z just by having the card. I need to drive a certain number of miles to get the GT-R. So that's exciting.
33bu8b3-YDqXEEPOvvHHZ1ML4=w961-h1281-no?authuser=0.jpg

One thing I noticed in the manual is that it mentions you need to use all 4 ports of the PCI USB expansion card. It says don't use any of the motherboard USB ports. When I got the machine it had the software key installed into one of the motherboard USB ports, and it was working... so I figured this was the right way to do it? I switched everything around to all 4 in the PCI card like the manual says to...

One other major factor is the monitor is a replacement LCD. I believe the original is a 52" LCD panel? At least the manual says 52" and based on the year of release I assume it's originally an LCD? There is not much in terms of pictures of this thing on the internet. It wouldn't be so bad, but the game has different resolutions at different points. At least 3 that I've noticed? This consumer TV replacement does turn on when the cabinet's power is applied automatically, but it also shows an OSD every time the resolution changes. I couldn't find any option to turn that off in the menus? I would like to find a OEM or other commercial LCD panel for it, but I'm not sure how to go about that cheaply?

I believe at this point I have fixed all of the non-functional gameplay parts of the cabinet. Some nitpicky fixes I might still do:
  • Buy a new wheel (once a decade?) for it
  • Replace the marquee
  • Replace the LCD with something better
  • Purchase and Install the correct shifter faceplate
  • Purchase the game install and recovery discs. Leave them with the cabinet and digitally backup.
I have plenty of other projects to keep me busy though so it might just be time to move on.
The disc are available in the mame set.

Key works in other usb port than that 4 port card but wait! there is actually one port inside of that 4 (5!) port card. It works and i find it prevent losing or breaking the key.
I actually have an operator card as well... needs to be activated by calling GVR though

So here's an update with what's happened in the past year.

Nov 2021 I put the cabinet out on my route
IMG_3396.JPG

May 2022
Computer starting blue screening with 'nv4_disp" error.
IMG_3970.JPG

Took the computer out of the cabinet back to my shop to fix it.
  • Cleaned out the case of dust bunnies
  • Removed old Asus 6600 card with domed caps
  • Replaced caps on the motherboard around the CPU (Cap List)
  • Removed broken heatsink clamp
  • Replaced CPU thermal paste
  • Replaced heatsink with another clamp
  • Replaced Asus 6600 with another one I had that has been recapped already
  • Replaced GPU thermal paste
  • Replaced 40gb hdd with another 80 gb hdd I had (left both in the case so I can go back to the old hdd if necessary)
IMG_3974.JPG

IMG_3975.JPG

IMG_3976.JPG

IMG_3977.JPG

IMG_3979.JPG

After the hardware surgeries I ran MemTest86 for a while with no errors detected. I then did DBAN on the new hdd to make sure the IO was working as expected, and it had no errors.

Used the system recovery disk, motion instacal installation, and the 1.1A game install discs for motion cabs specifically. That got it running with the new hdd, which is also a WD 7200RPM IDE. Ultimately I think replacing the video card with a known good, recapped one was the fix. The domed caps on the motherboard were working, but probably on their way out. Doing both I think should be a good fix. The thermal paste on the cpu and gpu was dried out and I think replacing it probably will help for long term stability.

I am hoping that it will stay rocking for a while without needing much maintenance now. I tightened all the screws on the motion base and noticed that a lot of them were pretty loose now. I guess 6 months of shaking around will do that.
IMG_4005.JPG

The disc are available in the mame set.
I don't believe the motion installation discs are available in mame but I could be wrong? I bought them from GlobalVR. There's also some additional software/drivers you need for the motion version. InstaCal or something.

Great work! Happy to see it is chugging along.

Quick tip on the sticky wheels, you can use Murphy's Oil Soap to get that crap off. Just rub it all over the rubber, wait about an hour, then clean it with soap and water. Might take a second application if it is exceptionally bad, but it works.

Back