What's new

venchia3

Beginner
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

long time lurker, first time to post in here :)
I own a Neo Geo AES for a good while now, board revision 3-5. Machine in beautiful cosmetic conditions, however plagued by a couple issues:

• Unreliable power connector that would reset the console if PSU cord touched or rocked even just a little
  • A very (to me at least) strange bug with the audio

The first issue was easily solved by changing the 2.1mm dc power connector with a new one.
The second issue ultimately was solved yesterday by removing the original Yamaha YM2160 sound chip and socketing a new one in there (or at least it looks like solved after several hours of gameplay).

I'm basically here because I'm curious to know some expert opinion on what would cause the YM2160 to behave like the video below I made some days ago:

I chose to showcase the Garou example because the most evident (I know, picture is streched but was just to record the video :D). Similar issues happen with other games too but was more difficult to trigger it.
If you know the game intro you can hear that during the end of it, when all the shots of Terry and Rock are flashing in a fast sequence you can't hear several instrument missing and the score does not sound as intended, almost like one or more of the subtracks were shut. Just for the record, this is not a multi cart or an SD solution, is the real AES cart.

The curious thing about this event is that would trigger at total random: after some hours of gameplay, just right after starting the console and so on.
Someone has every experienced something similar? What would cause such a malfunction from a technical perspective?

Thanks a lot for your support!

I have an AES that's been sitting collecting dust with a similarly strange audio issue. For me it seems like audio clips are "moved", meaning that when sound (A) sound (B) plays. I have a replacement Yamaha chip as well, but just not gotten around to trying to install it... audio issues can be a pain to diagnose, since the feedback you get is aural only. Hard to test things with an oscilloscope or logic probe.

Back