What's new

Miky

Student
Reaction score
The games run off a Darksoft multicart. Also while a big red, it runs a single slot board. Everything works fine until the sound to the games will sometimes cut out. It seems to cut out really soon on metal slug games or fatal fury sequels.
Changing games on the multi or hard rebooting will restore the sound but it will continue to cut out all sound after an hour of gameplay.
What are some things i should test out to figure this issue out? Would i need to switch the speakers?

Attachments

• 20220228_193027.jpg
    20220228_193027.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 79
Check your voltages on your mvs motherboard chips to ensure your power supply is supplying +5v first. Reflash the game rom to the multicart. While I’m Not familiar enough with the darksoft multi I spent a lot of time dealing with graphical and sound issues with a neosd multi on an mvs mother board like yours which ran standard neo geo carts fine. Ended up being Some kind of compatibility issue I had with that larger older neo geo motherboard and had to change the neo geo mother board out to one of the smaller versions later revision to run with the neosd multi

Clean the cartridge slot and edge connector on the cartridges. The Sound Program ROM is on one of the cartridge boards and if there's any flakiness in the connections sounds will stop cold.

Also check the stereo/mono switch, may be dirty and causing sound issues (hit it with some contact cleaner). Is your cab wired for JAMMA or MVS?

Also, looks like you have electrical tape on the audio pins of the MVS/JAMMA connector. Check that those are secure.
1662746489365.png

Also, looks like you have electrical tape on the audio pins of the MVS/JAMMA connector. Check that those are secure.
1662746489365.png
Alright thanks. Might just replace the wiring on the jamma. I do have one laying about.

Thank you for that. Does it matter if it is in the "headphone" slot? When i bought it from the previous seller it was already in the headphone slot.
I don't think so... but not 100% sure. It may be the the headphone connection is always stereo regardless of what the selector switch is set to. Hadn't noticed that the wiring is to the headphone port previously, makes me wonder what the JAMMA audio is doing.

Edit: One concern might be the resistance of the cabinet speakers. Not sure what the headphone jack is rated for.

Last edited:
I don't think so... but not 100% sure. It may be the the headphone connection is always stereo regardless of what the selector switch is set to. Hadn't noticed that the wiring is to the headphone port previously, makes me wonder what the JAMMA audio is doing.

Edit: One concern might be the resistance of the cabinet speakers. Not sure what the headphone jack is rated for.
I popped open the speaker compartment and the wires are indeed both spliced coming from the headphones plug. Idk where the audio wires in the jamma are going to.

20220917_184550.jpg
20220917_184528.jpg
20220917_184538.jpg

This is what i traced from the headphones and the wires you pointed out under the electric tape. As well as the speaker compartment.

20220917_184550.jpg
20220917_184528.jpg
20220917_184538.jpg

This is what i traced from the headphones and the wires you pointed out under the electric tape. As well as the speaker compartment.

Can't tell where everything is running... the PCB shown by the speakers is the marquee backlight controller, where do the speakers run to?

And a thought... does your cabinet have a headphone jack on the front under the control panel? Could be that's where the headphone connector is running and speaker audio is indeed being pulled from the JAMMA/MVS connection.

Can't tell where everything is running... the PCB shown by the speakers is the marquee backlight controller, where do the speakers run to?

And a thought... does your cabinet have a headphone jack on the front under the control panel? Could be that's where the headphone connector is running and speaker audio is indeed being pulled from the JAMMA/MVS connection.
The wires from the speakers on positive are going to the headphones socket. There is this black/red wire that i think is is sound on Jamma.

Back