What's new

rcboosted

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking on ebay for used Neo Geo CD controllers, they average $60+ and I don't really know their condition until I get them in my hands. On the other hand, brand new Neo Geo Mini controllers are $25 and guaranteed to be fresh. Has anyone tried both and found them to be similar in tactile feel etc?

I don't have any real Neo Geo controllers/sticks, so I can't confirm if this is even a workable idea. But I assume the Neo Geo CD controllers have just switches inside with no logic board/chip. So why can't I get a Neo Geo Mini controller, rip out the guts, and just wire up a DB15 or a cut controller extension cable to the switches and make my own? Any thoughts I this?

I don't have any real Neo Geo controllers/sticks, so I can't confirm if this is even a workable idea. But I assume the Neo Geo CD controllers have just switches inside with no logic board/chip. So why can't I get a Neo Geo Mini controller, rip out the guts, and just wire up a DB15 or a cut controller extension cable to the switches and make my own? Any thoughts I this?
The square bigass sticks have only switches inside.
The CD controllers have a couple of transistors inside and do require 5V. Never investigated why so. But you could wire them like the big sticks and it would work, your idea is totally doable (standard/common pad hack).

have a look here , but it seems to use a 3d printed part https://imgur.com/a/ilmSDPK
That's a great guide. But looks like it's not a straight forward rewiring job. I will need his printed parts and source some microswitches. But I suppose any controller would work, but I was hoping for a cheap clicky type pad like the original Neo Geo CD pads. Are there other clicky pads that can be had for cheap?

So I went ahead and did modify a PDP versus controller for PS3. I yanked out the original USB cable and just soldered in a cut Neo Geo joystick extension cable. My MV1B is still in the mail though, so I can't really test. Maybe I'll rig up some LEDs on a perf board for testing. Or maybe hack up another controller with a D15 to connect this into.

IMG_20210212_162021565_HDR.jpg

Reactions: nem
Back