What's new

tonyt76

Champion
Reaction score
My MS-29 has some pretty decent burn-in so I want to try and swap the tube.

Do you guys know of any tube #'s or models of tv's that have the correct tube curve?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Only other candies of that era had Toshiba tubes with the same physical dimensions. You might have luck finding a 27" Toshiba TV with a similar shape and short neck as long as the neck pinout is compatible. You'd need to swap the yoke as well because that definitely won't be compatible with the TV one. Beware of bonded yokes on TV's, major pain. I've heard you should use the rings that came with the TV, but have never been able to verify that. Good luck.

I've experimented with a few Toshiba consumer TVs, and they do not physically fit. Fuck a yoke swap and all that mess. If i found a tube that was a perfect fit I'd just RGB mode the chassis. It would be so much easier than trying to run an MS9.

I use a Samsung curve tube with a weiya monitor.
Not my dead Nanao, but i like it.

Hi! It looks very nice ! Does it fit perfectly in the Astro space like a NANAO ? Do you have the exact model? Thank you so much

Hi! It looks very nice ! Does it fit perfectly in the Astro space like a NANAO ? Do you have the exact model? Thank you so much
I think there's only one weiya 29" monitor PCB, it's a EAGO 29 clone, and tube, sorry, can't see the model, will need to disassemble cab. But yeah, everything sit well.

My MS-29 has some pretty decent burn-in so I want to try and swap the tube.

Do you guys know of any tube #'s or models of tv's that have the correct tube curve?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
I've tried in the neighborhood of 15-20 different consumer sets and have never found an exact replacement. If they're out there at all, they're likely not easy to come by and it will only get worse as CRTs continue to get junked. I've got a couple 27" presentation CRTs that I haven't got around to trying, but I'm not super hopeful.

Your best bet is to find a set that will give you a decent picture after calibration, and fudge the gaps in the bezel with some foam insulation.

General rule of thumb is that you should try to find the same brand of tube thats in the cabinet now.

However, toshiba farmed out a lot of their tubes to other manufacturers for the USA market, and they have different sizes/depth/ect. So you can have a toshiba tv, open it up and its an orion tube with a toshiba chassis.

It's also a gamble if the tube has a bonded yoke, I've opened up two seperate sets that have the same model numbers and the tubes/ yokes are different. Try to make the best of the tubes we have, a tube can have burn in and still have a lot of life left.

Back