What's new
Hey guys, I have a new prototype in and have been testing it over the past couple of days. The new -5v circuit is performing well so far, but I wanted to get some opinions about adjustability. The current version of the -5v circuit is fixed voltage. What I'd like to know is if there is a particular need to have the -5v rail be adjustable. The current circuit is based on the TI TPS5430 which can be made adjustable by adding a trimmer potentiometer to the voltage feedback circuit, but if it's not needed then I'd rather keep it fixed because that will simplify manufacturing. This -5v circuit can provide up to 3A of current.
IMG_20210308_141538__01__01.jpg

Hey guys, I have a new prototype in and have been testing it over the past couple of days. The new -5v circuit is performing well so far, but I wanted to get some opinions about adjustability. The current version of the -5v circuit is fixed voltage. What I'd like to know is if there is a particular need to have the -5v rail be adjustable. The current circuit is based on the TI TPS5430 which can be made adjustable by adding a trimmer potentiometer to the voltage feedback circuit, but if it's not needed then I'd rather keep it fixed because that will simplify manufacturing. This -5v circuit can provide up to 3A of current.

Were you able to get an answer on this to decide? Perhaps Darksoft or Apocalypse might be able to help answer?

At any rate, looking forward to this!

it's exceedingly rare that an Arcade PSU will have adjustable -5V

Precise voltages are really only necessary for digital circuits likes CPUs, ROMs and Logic Ics, 12V and -5V are generally only used for things like audio amplification and cooling fans where widely out-of-spec voltages are ok and wont cause any harm.

Reactions: nem
Looks great, everything but that damn Genesis 2 SCART cable requirement. :rolleyes:
#nocomponetsinsidecables

Lets take a VOTE!

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly what I was looking for. If I’m following, should we be able to have both this adapter and a Taito JVS or Fast IO board running using the splitter shown in the video?

edit: I for one like the Megadrive RGB port. It means we can plug in Retrovision cables without any fuss.

Last edited:
IMG_20210308_141538__01__01.jpg

Ooohhh... is that a 20 pin ATX port I see? That would be sweet. I had planned on using a pico ATX to JVS adapter, but if I can just plug the pico into the board that would be amazing.

Does this Jamma Conversion Kit works for the Vewlix F Cabinet ?

Actually what do I need if I want to convert my Vewlix F Cabinet to Jamma

Can I just buy this conversion kit and I am all done ?

Hope to hear from you soon

Thanks

Does this Jamma Conversion Kit works for the Vewlix F Cabinet ?

Actually what do I need if I want to convert my Vewlix F Cabinet to Jamma

Can I just buy this conversion kit and I am all done ?

Hope to hear from you soon

Thanks

This would adapt the JVS controls to JAMMA but you would still need a scaler for the 15khz video (this is a maybe need since my Vewlix C seems to handle 15khz well enough). That being said, what I ended up doing was building a cable from the JST YLP-15V connector in my control panel to DB15 that I then plug into a Supergun or a JVS adapter.

Interested in this. Just read you're refocusing on your projects. Happy to buy one when you're ready. Thanks!!

Last edited:
Universal-JAMMA-Interface3-2.jpg

Hey guys, sorry for the long delay on this project. Over the past week I've been putting some final touches on the Universal JAMMA kit to address some issues I discovered with the previous prototype from 2021. This version should truly be the final design. I have the new prototype in production as of today, so I hope to receive it sometime in the first week of January.

As for testing, I have a number of arcade PCBs here that I have been testing with the JAMMA kit, but unfortunately I don't own anything that needs -5v. I could really use a volunteer or two that could help me test a wider range of PCBs who can confirm that the -5v circuit performs sufficiently under normal load. I would also appreciate testing a larger variety of PCBs in general, just to make sure there aren't any edge cases that I am missing. This kit will work with any Vewlix cabinet using the Vewlix adapter cable, or any SEGA JVS cabinet with the SEGA adapter cable. You will probably also need to combine it with a scaler such as the OSSC, Retrotink 5x, Retrotink 4k etc.

If you would like to volunteer please send me a PM and let me know roughly how many PCBs you could test, as well as what compatible cabinets you have on hand to test the kit in. Once I receive the new prototypes, I will ship them to the selected volunteers and await the test results. Once testing is complete those volunteers will be able to keep their JAMMA kits if they wish.

I'm also working on an optional add on PCB that will add full fledged button remapping and autofire support based on the code from the Console JAMMAizer. This PCB will attach to the control panel harness port on Universal JAMMA Kit PCB.

More updates to come!

I've received the prototypes and done some testing on my end. I've tested all of the PCBs I have on hand currently including NEO-GEO, CPS2, F3 and T Unit. Everything is working great on my end, but I still could use some volunteers that can test with a wider variety of PCBs, especially those that need -5v. Please contact me if you are interested in testing.

Here's what the new PCB looks like.
DSC09747.JPG

This is the remapping chip
DSC09748.JPG

and this is how the remapping chip attaches to the JAMMA Interface.

DSC09746.JPG

Here's some images of the Universal JAMMA interfaces running in a few of my cabs

PXL_20240119_021339646.jpg
PXL_20240119_021416959.jpg
PXL_20240119_021425113.jpg
PXL_20240119_021432003.jpg
PXL_20240119_021530892.jpg
PXL_20240119_021556003.jpg
PXL_20240119_021718699.jpg

Here's a short video of my cabs running JAMMA boards.

I'm very pleased with the performance of this new version of the JAMMA interface, but I would really like to bring some testers on who have larger libraries of PCBs to test. My selection is relatively limited so I'm worried about edge cases that my design doesn't account for. Nothing I have here is particularly exotic outside of the F3 with it's sync issues, so I'm not comfortable releasing this until I have a better understanding of it's compatibility.

This setup will work on any Vewlix, and any SEGA JVS cabinet, so that should include Naomi/Net City/NNC, Lindbergh, and P-RAS3. You will likely need a scaler of some sort for LCD cabinets unless your cab has a monitor that can accept lower resolutions. I've done most of my testing with OSSCs and a Retrotink2x SCART. I've got a Retrotink 5X on the way so I can do some testing with that, and eventually I'll get a Retrotink 4K when they are available.

Any update on this? Would love to get one of these when they ready :)

Back