What's new

zumbito

Beginner
Reaction score
I have a CPS-3 that doesnt show any sign of life when plugged in. Problem is it doesnt have CD drive either. Just the Jojo cartridge. Any advice on how to proceed? Can I know if it is repairable before buying a drive? Will a home burned CD work or I have to procure an original copy of Jojo's?

It will turn on even without a drive (and display an error).

Clean your cart's edge connector real good. If it still doesn't work it's most likely suicided.

Welcome to the forum

The system still boots without the CD drive and you'll get to the CPS3 boot screen with the spaceman, it'll just say "now loading, please wait..." and not get any further because there's no CD to load from.

As nem said clean the contacts on the cartridge really well but also check if the contacts on the SIMMS are dirty and clean them up too. These are the flash memory sticks that look like RAM

ok, will try those, hope it has not suicided.
If it's suicided just have it modified with Darksoft's BIOS - generally with these if the cart has suicided you'll get a colorful garbled mess on boot. If you get the cart modified you'll be able to play all CPS3 games off the one cartridge

I hope you get it working, but just wanted to mention that I have a few jojo carts that have suicided, and they only display a black screen...not the garbled mess I was expecting and have seen with dead SF3 carts..definitely worth getting darksofts bios if it's dead though!

Ok, will check the darksoft bios procedure. Is it open or should send it to him? I just realized my programer doesnt have any adaptors, not sure where to get them.

Are you able to do SMD soldering?

Back