What's new
I believe you can modify a non dash board with a crystal swap. I am not sure but I may try this as a way to not have to pay for the premium of the dash.

I believe you can modify a non dash board with a crystal swap. I am not sure but I may try this as a way to not have to pay for the premium of the dash.
It's been done and redone, and yes it works.
Some couldn't get the crystal swap to work but I suspect wrong installation or something since I've used various random 12MHz crystals and it has always worked for me.

yeah it’s a pretty easy swap if you know how to solder/desolder.
I’ve done this upgrade for myself and a couple members here.
If you guys need this done for you, let me know. I’ll just charge you shipping and for parts, and maybe beer money :)

Farnell has 12MHz crystal oscillators, I'm going to test this one soon: https://es.farnell.com/qantek-techn...tt/oscilador-12mhz-20-8mm-x-13-2mm/dp/2508716

I wonder if this will be needed for the multi, or some solution like a dual frequency oscillator will be the way to go.
Perhaps the multi itself will have a DFO onboard that can bypass the original oscillator on the A board and select the correct frequency on a per game basis?

Or if not on the multi board, some functionality to control a DFO installed on the A board?

I think it's time for small update as we are moving forward on this project.

The Multi PCB has as usual ( similarly to CPS2 ), a microSD Slot, LCD display and mounts in place of the B Board. All games are supported natively without modification. One of the features....and here comes a good suprise, the multi includes the C board on it! No need for C board with this multi.

We are exploring, but that's still in beta phase ( don't be later surprised if we say that we won't do it ), we are trying for the multi to have natively support for other types of sound, starting by letter Q :thumbsup:
On my version (Aje french one), only CPS1.5 boots are supported. Hope you'll be able to integrate original ones on your multi.
Can't wait for it ;)

I can confirm that the farnell 12MHz oscillator I linked before doesn't work with my short A board. When powering on it gives a black screen.

I have put the 10MHz back and it worked. Then the 12MHz again, didn't work. I put the 10MHz again and it works. Same soldering (I have used a socket).

oh ? you can change A-board from 10 to 12 Mhz ?

good to know :) i wasnt aware.

Oh my sweet Lawd! Its have a CPS1 board in 14 days or die time for me now. :) Before they go higher in price.

I can confirm that the farnell 12MHz oscillator I linked before doesn't work with my short A board. When powering on it gives a black screen.

I have put the 10MHz back and it worked. Then the 12MHz again, didn't work. I put the 10MHz again and it works. Same soldering (I have used a socket).
Did you verify that the oscillator was working i.e. with a scope ?

I don't have a scope (yet), but I doubt the crystal is bad, it came well protected and I have not touched its legs. I work with ESD safe mat and bracelet. I have used a good number of random crystals on other projects and never had a problem.

Anyway I don't discard that crystal is damaged. I'll share my experience when I use the oscillator linked before.

Reactions: rtw
I think it's time for small update as we are moving forward on this project.

The Multi PCB has as usual ( similarly to CPS2 ), a microSD Slot, LCD display and mounts in place of the B Board. All games are supported natively without modification. One of the features....and here comes a good suprise, the multi includes the C board on it! No need for C board with this multi.

We are exploring, but that's still in beta phase ( don't be later surprised if we say that we won't do it ), we are trying for the multi to have natively support for other types of sound, starting by letter Q :thumbsup:
If all games are supported natively without modification, does that mean any A board will run all games on either frequency? I picked up a Dash Hyper Fighting board ^^ /

Thanks for all the incredible work into this Darksoft!

If all games are supported natively without modification, does that mean any A board will run all games on either frequency? I picked up a Dash Hyper Fighting board ^^ /

Thanks for all the incredible work into this Darksoft!
is there any more available where you got your A board from ? :whistling:

Back