What's new
I’d expect it to be necessary for all games, but I’ll let DS confirm
Exactly that. As I wrote either you transplant any B-21 to the multi, which right now is something I'm reconsidering...or use any C board that has a B-21 with battery.
If you have a C Board with a B-21 but without battery, then you need to make some changes on the pin 45 and 46 IIRC, so it will work as the ones with battery.

@opt2not
I don't know that the battery circuit will need to be fixed since we will likely need to remove the battery anyway, I'm assuming that the multi will reflash the C-Board on boot much like the CPS2 multi does for the encryption keys.
I'm also assuming what @twistedsymphony is saying here... IF so, it will be required for ALL key programming/encrypted ROM support (regardless if CPS1/1.5).

*Update* @Darksoft yup typed it at the same time. :)

Exactly that. As I wrote either you transplant any B-21 to the multi, which right now is something I'm reconsidering...or use any C board that has a B-21 with battery.
Quoting for emphasis - seems like the worry in the thread for a second was that everyone will have to solder a B-21 to the kit.

If I've read all of this correctly, the kit will work with existing, working battery-backed B-21 C boards. Either no or minimal soldering required at that rate. Basically "plug and play", in terms of installing the B-21 chip.

However, it sounds like there is (or potentially "was", based on Darksoft's statement about reconsidering) an option for those who DON'T have an existing C compatible C board to surface-mount a bare B-21 chip to the kit. Surface-mount soldering is an advanced technique, I don't see the intention here being to basically gate-keep the sale of the kit behind the ability to do surface-mount work.

Please correct me if I'm wrong - I just thought that might help calm some fears about assembling the kit.

Great. I'm absolutely interested and definitely will buy one. Can you put me on the interest list and potentially the waiting list :)

Many thanks

not big deal to solder or desolder things here sir (many of us have equipments ready for this purpose) . i have 2 x 92631C-6 (here i need to make some changes on the pin 42 and 43 IIRC only) but again , to desolder a chip like B-21 and solder on another place let's say, is a easy task ^^

@Darksoft

I think for my needs soldering a fresh B21 onto the multi is going to work best. Do you have enough stock to supply me one with the multi?

I'd be happy to perform the service to people within Australia.

I think for my needs soldering a fresh B21 onto the multi is going to work best.
I was thinking just the opposite in terms of ease, ie use my existing battery-less B21 C-Board (its from a SF2:CE) but mod the write address lines.
Pretty simple to pull the chip using hot air, not so simple to solder in (yes I use the flux+drag method but its still stress inducing).

I'd rather not molest any of my boards and am able to solder the B21 so that option fits me best. :)

I'd be happy to perform the service to people within Australia.
+1 for me :) . Not keen on destroying my Strider or farming a board for a B-21. I’m sure in due time @Darksoft will chime in with all the options though.

I am a big noobie...what's I need exactly for this multi, a true 12 mhz A board and wh'at's other? soldering required?

At this time (some details are still unknown) I'd say...
  • CPS1 12mhz A-board (but can't be a CPS1.5 A-board because its audio section isn't populated and wouldn't work for CPS1 games, only 1.5 games)
  • B21 battery based C-board (must be a B21 chip, but it can be battery-less IF you modify it for key operation)
It seems like you WILL need at least basic solder skills to install this on most setups.
IF you are transplanting a B21 chip you are going to need experience with hot air rework and SMD based soldering (yea that shit is HARD/deal-breaker for 90% I'd say).

A big unknown for me (and we are still waiting for DS to say clearly)...
Do you need to use the C-board from a CPS1.5 (+D containing the Q-sound chip) to play CPS1.5 games properly (ie with sound)?
Pretty sure the answer is "yes" but I'm not sure.

If the answer is "yes" then yea... The multi supports CPS1.5 sure, but unless you "molest" an original CPS1.5 you ain't going to be enjoying them.
I don't know too many folks with even one CPS1.5 game, let alone a few so they wouldn't mind committing one to the cause.
Also as mentioned above you wouldn't be able to use the A-board from a CPS1.5, so really you would need the A-board from something like SF2CE AND the C/D-board from something like Punisher.
So now you've sacked two games (one CPS1 and one CPS1.5) to make the multi (that could play them both). :/

Last edited by a moderator:
At this time (some details are still unknown) I'd say...
  • CPS1 12mhz A-board (but can't be a CPS1.5 A-board because its audio section isn't populated and wouldn't work for CPS1 games, only 1.5 games)
  • B21 battery based C-board (must be a B21 chip, but it can be battery-less IF you modify it for key operation)
It seems like you WILL need at least basic solder skills to install this on most setups.
IF you are transplanting a B21 chip you are going to need experience with hot air rework and SMD based soldering (yea that shit is HARD/deal-breaker for 90% I'd say).
What is the process for a battery-less B-21(modified key)?

Feel like best option would be for multi to only take a B-21 C board, but also provide optional repro C boards so that any SMD goofs would be limited to that, any if someone finds b-21 stock they can sell populated C boards to slap in. I can solder through hole all day, but SMD is something I really suck at

Man, all this "CPS1 Multi Newz" sure lit the forum on fire, eh? I love seeing this kind of enthusiasm!

When I ased the question about 1.5 qsound games apocalypse asnwered me it will be fully compatible with standard 12 mhz A board.

When I ased the question about 1.5 qsound games apocalypse asnwered me it will be fully compatible with standard 12 mhz A board.
If you read what he said... Q-sound has nothing to do with the A-board.
The Q-sound portion is contained on the C-board (I guess they refer to it as C+D).

So yes you can play 1.5 games using a 12mhz Dash (ie SF2:CE) A-board, but for sound to work I really think you'll need that CPS1.5 C(+D)-board.
If you don't have it, I just don't see how you'll get sound in 1.5 games (has nothing to do with the A-board used).

Its been this way in the conversion world for a long time.
Aka we've been able to convert one 1.5 game into any other 1.5 game, but you can't get 1.5 games working with sound on 1.0 hardware (need that Q-sound chip).
OR you can patch away the music and play it on the 1.0 hardware (thats some bullshit if you ask me and its how the China multis have always done it).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back