What's new
Grab a SF2:CE board and convert it to something else while you wait.
Most conversions using the 4MB-ROM-TYPE B-board with a B21 C-board are possible.
Once you've had some fun/emptied your CPS1-nutt, you can use this same A-board (a 12mhz Dash) for the multi. ;)
Is there a guide on conversions for these I have an old SF2 Rainbow Edition I'd like to convert if possible

Is there a guide on conversions for these I have an old SF2 Rainbow Edition I'd like to convert if possible

Heres a guide I did for converting a rainbow edition to GnG resale/Japan. If you have a rainbow edition you also need to burn the right image to a GAL16V8 for the socket at 11E because they monkey with that. Use the one in SF2:CE. I need to do a proper blog writeup one day when I have time.

All the files come from the daimakair.zip file in MAME. Same goes for striderjr.zip.

gng.gif

Ready to buy one of these guys! Make sure I am added to the list, please.

Last edited:
Me too but I still do not see myself on the list and I am sure we have a LONG wait seeing the length of that list

i'll throw my name at the bottom of this incredibly long list.

This is clearly the most popular DS project to date (and my personal most wanted multi of all time).
Mine too!

I just hope it's not the most expensive multi to date. I was priced out of the Namco System 1 multi, as well as the CPS3 SIMMs. I understand those takes newer more expensive components, but the amount of games on both of those systems didn't seem worth it to me for the price of admission.
So I'm hoping the CPS1 follows suit of something like the STV, or System 16B. $300-400 is the sweet spot. $400-500 is a harder ask.

I was priced out of the Namco System 1 multi, as well as the CPS3 SIMMs.
Funny you should mention these two...
I also skipped them both (first/only multi's I've ever done this with if you don't count the Namco 2x6 memory card/security key) but for very different reasons.

Namco S1:
Ok so first no disrespect to anyone associated with this project...
No microSD port, and thus no ability to update multi firmware or installed ROMs without some external programmer(s).
Yea I'm a harsh critic, keep that in mind when I say TRASH that I will not own ever.:thumbdown:

CPS3 Ultra SIMMs:
This one was really painful for me, you see I pushed for this to be a reality and I was beyond happy when DS announced it was/would be.
However I don't like the way its been handled so far, specifically in two areas...
  1. SIMMs are sold separately, and while I do support this as an option, the default "kit" IMO should include a reproduction normal SH2 cart with latest BIOS already installed. Fact is most are going to need that full kit with a cart, fewer only need the SIMMs.
  2. SIMMs must be written with external programmer. Maybe I'm not being fair with this one, perhaps a technical reason unknown to me exists as to why we couldn't just write each game one-by-one from the CPS3/DS menu itself. But yea... That should totally be a thing/option! Switch the banks, boot up the cart (would need to have disc drive or SCSI2SD installed) load the menu, write a game. Power down, flip a dip or two, boot up and write the next... So on and so on until all banks are written with the games of your choice (maybe you just want 8 different/hacked versions of SF3-3rd, who am I to judge).

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed @jassin000 , the technical hurdles for writing/updating were also a factor, no doubt.

Yeah, don't expect this to be cheap. Just the reality of the logistics. Sorry.

For point #1 @jassin000 ... how could they bundle a bios cart with it, that contains capcom code. Can’t sell that retail.

how could they bundle a bios cart with it, that contains capcom code. Can’t sell that retail.
Do I need to spell it out for you?
The cart should have a microSD slot on it, and accept BIOS updates via file on said microSD.
Sold blank so 100% legal, but easily programable/updateable by the end user (sick a file on the card, stick the card in the cart, turn it on wait 5secs).

Would this add to the cost? Absolutely.
Is perfection worth the price? Absolutely!
Is the 7/11 register jockey near my house in peril? Maybe... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
That seems a lot to fit on a cart that small, but it’s a good suggestion

Back