What's new

twistedsymphony

Enlightened
Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I finally got around to installing the excellent Multi Kit for Sega System 24: https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/sega-system-24-multi-kit-sale-support.19868/#post-396832

This kit includes a Gotek Floppy Disk Drive (FDD) Emulator. The normal FDD Emulator included has 2 buttons and a numerical display to select the games, not too bad as there are only 10 games but I noticed that they make an OLED version of the Gotek FDD Emulator and I thought it would be nice to spruce up the Kit a bit. The nice thing about the OLED variant is it can display the game names on the screen, and it has a dial for easy selection. If you're interested in upgrading your System 24 kit or maybe you just want to replace the FDD with a Gotek on your original board* then read on.

You will need:
Gotek 32-pin USB FDD Emulator with Flash-Floppy Firmware. This will be a "SFR1M44 -U100" model. You'll obviously want the one with the OLED display and Dial. The OLED variant will be about $55 (as compaired to $35 for the 3-character display variant). I personally bought from this seller on eBay as they came pre-flashed with Flash Floppy: https://www.ebay.com/itm/223542889017

[Optional] FDD mount: I've designed a 3d printed mount for the FDD to attach it to your mobo, which you can download and print yourself: Even if you have the official mount from Sega, which places the drive UNDER the mobo, this top mount setup may be better as it will allow easier access to the FDD emulator to change games. https://www.arcade-projects.com/thr...drive-mount-brackets-consolidation-kit.28309/

[Optional] Mini USB Thumb Drive The Multi kit comes with a USB thumb drive but I recommend replacing with the physically smallest thumb drive you can, this will ensure that it does not block the display or controls. A USB 2.0 drive is fine and you don't need any more than a few MB of space. I like the Sandisc UltraFit for this, it's a nice name-brand and very small form-factor thumb drive.

Modifying the Gotek:
Step 1: Install Flash Floppy - You will need to modify the Gotek FDD Emulator to function with System 24. First if it does not have Flash Floppy pre-installed then you will want to follow the instructions to reflash with Flash Floppy (there are various instructions online, I'm not going to cover it here)

Step 2: Cut the Trace - Next you will want to open up the FDD drive by removing the 3 philips screws on the top of the case. Note the traces going to pin 34 of the ribbon cable connector, this goes up along the top of the board to a small surface mount resistor. You will need to cut this trace. Basically use a razor blade or xacto knife to score the trace over and over again until it breaks. Be sure not to accidentally cut any of the near by traces, and use a multi-meter to confirm no connectivity between the pin and the resistor once the trace has been cut. As far as trace cuts go, this one is very easy.
cut-trace.jpg

Step 3: Add a Jumper Wire - After the trace has been cut you will need to solder a wire from pin 34 to a 5V source. the easiest is to turn the PCB upside down and then run the wire to pin 1 of the 4-pin power connector. You can take them out of the case but I recommend leaving the display and controls connected to the PCB while you do this so you don't have to worry about plugging them back in wrong. Once you've done this you can put the PCB back in the case and re-install the 3 philips screws.
bodge-wire.jpg

Step 4: Check the Jumper Config - Once The drive is back together note the jumpers near the connectors. you will want a single jumper in the "S1" position and all other jumpers removed.
back_jumper.jpg

Step 5: Prep the USB Drive - If you're setting up a new USB drive make sure it is formatted to FAT32 and then copy the contents to the root of the drive from your old drive. It should just be 10 disc images and a FF.CFG file.

To configure for use with the OLED display then you will want to modify the FF.CFG file and replace "display-type=auto" with "display-type=oled-128x64-rotate" Failure to do this will cause the display to appear upside down.

Next you can rename each of the files with the game name, you can leave the . as the file name is what will be displayed on the OLED.
The file numbers should associate to the games as so:
DSKA0000.hfe -> Bonanza Bros (W).hfe
DSKA0001.hfe -> Crack Down (W).hfe
DSKA0002.hfe -> Dynamic Country Club (U).hfe
DSKA0003.hfe -> Gain Ground (W).hfe
DSKA0004.hfe -> Hot Rod (Turbo 3P, W, set 2).hfe
DSKA0005.hfe -> Hot Rod (4P, J, rev C).hfe
DSKA0006.hfe -> Quiz Syukudai wo Wasuremashita (J).hfe
DSKA0007.hfe -> Rough Racer (J).hfe
DSKA0008.hfe -> Scramble Spirits (W).hfe
DSKA0009.hfe -> Jumbo Ozaki Super Masters Golf (W).hfe
You can really name them however you like, as long as you leave the .hfe extension on there.

And that's it! Enjoy your new FDD OLED selector!

Here's a video of it in action (sorry for the Potato Quality)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOYhGW5ywdo

Potential screen size Upgrade:
It looks really small in the video but it's good enough for me to read the game name to know what I'm selecting. I have seen tutorials online about upgrading the OLED to a larger display, so there's information out there to do that if you're interested.

Use on an original Board Set
I have an original Crack down and swapping out the FD1094 with a normal 68K and adding the FDD emulator with the cracked disk set it gives me a simple 3 or 1 Disk-only multi; swapping between Crack Down, Gain Ground, and Scramble Sprites. If you had an original Bonaza Bros ROM board you could extend this to a 4 in 1. Of course if you want the full game set you'll want the Full Multi kit linked at the top of the thread.

Last edited:
Back