What's new

9999 Damage

Professional
Reaction score
Hi, I just got my Darksoft Multi + Everten IO + Stereo boards set up on my F3 and went through the whole OSSC video saga that apparently everyone else did too. (Spoiler: Gave up and switched to my RetroTink 2X and 5X.) I found myself getting sucked into games I'd never played before, like Dungeon Magic and Riding Fight. Neat!

Does anyone sell F3 P3/P4 cables? The goal would be to terminate in DB15, either directly or through my HAS 3P/4P board.

AFAIK, the Everten IO board just adapts the kick harness for Kaiser Knuckle, but doesn't do anything to provide support for P3/P4. Right? I could make my own, but if the price is reasonable, I'd rather buy them.

Hi, I just got my Darksoft Multi + Everten IO + Stereo boards set up on my F3 and went through the whole OSSC video saga that apparently everyone else did too. (Spoiler: Gave up and switched to my RetroTink 2X and 5X.) I found myself getting sucked into games I'd never played before, like Dungeon Magic and Riding Fight. Neat!

Does anyone sell F3 P3/P4 cables? The goal would be to terminate in DB15, either directly or through my HAS 3P/4P board.

AFAIK, the Everten IO board just adapts the kick harness for Kaiser Knuckle, but doesn't do anything to provide support for P3/P4. Right? I could make my own, but if the price is reasonable, I'd rather buy them.
not that I know, but to answer that question about the everten board. The everten board provides a kick harness and stereo. You would have to either make your own or possibly one of the forum members could support ya on that.

Yeah those will not be populated anyway as the supergun accepts only coin/start and the lever/button inputs, so looks like we're good.

im definitely interested in these too. would be awesome to play 4 player lightbringer when i start hosting meet-ups

Reactions: dos
Yep, @9999 Damage is getting the "test article" I'll be building tomorrow and once he gives the OK they will go up on ebay or be available direct from me. @kazuyajin1080 your CPS 1 & 2 3P/4P harnesses are also being made tomorrow!
that was a quick turn around. I appreciate it, but as you know if you needed the extra time, I would have been more than ok to wait :)

thank you again though~

Hi, got back from travel and got the prototype cable from @dos and tested with Arabian Magic (both in-game and in the test menu). In short: it works perfectly, except that left and right are reversed for both 3P and 4P.

Behold, the ugly test bench! Wince at the stacked components and maybe chide me about it!
IMG_0026.jpg

On the Taito F3 end: Fits great. The pins were a little snug, but the connectors went together with light pressure.
PXL_20220630_032255788.jpg

The Lions3 LCD housing only gives 1 1/16" clearance above the PCB, so it puts pressure on the pin crimps. It also guarantees you have to remove the housing in order to add/remove the P3/P4 cables. A right angle connector might help with the front one (provided one cuts the black support bracket), but the second one is sandwiched between two connectors.
PXL_20220630_031723531.MP.jpg

On the supergun end, I actually didn't expect that connector to fit into the HAS's IDC connector and started writing a post about how you used the wrong connector. :D After looking up your CPS2 3P 4P listing on Ebay, I gave it a shot and realized it fit. An IDC connector's bump would help orient it the right way on the supergun side (I guess incorrectly initially and thankfully didn't fry anything), and some sort of labeling for the PCB end would help with putting the 3P and 4P connectors in the right places.

Also realized it's not easy to insert or remove the 3P/4P cable on the HAS side without removing the HAS's acrylic top. Maybe something @RGB can consider for future designs.

Bummer about left and right being reversed, that was my bad as I accidentally swapped the colors in my pinout spreadsheet. Here's a quick fix:

On the supergun end of the harness, locate the brown and green wires. Use a pushpin to gently lift the tab holding the contact in and pull them out. Reverse the position of brown and green and re-insert, ensuring they click back into place. All should be well after that.

Unfortunately the connector type on the HAS and minigun are different, so if I used a keyed connector I would have to make a different version for each. Thankfully it's not really possible to fry anything if the orientation is wrong, it would just result in a very strange control map. I should revise the instructional images I use to reflect the new HAS 3P/4P adapter and where exactly it should go though. For the minigun I use this image:

s-l1600.jpg

On the F3 end, there are no right angle JST NH connector housings, the header itself would have to be replaced with a right angle one. You're right about labeling them though, and I'll be doing that going forward.

Thanks for the feedback and let me know if anything else comes to mind!

Thanks, I'll swap the brown and green wires when I get a chance.

Agreed @RGB , unfortunately it would make it less "universal" as a lot of buyers are using miniguns or the older HAS 3P/4P adapter. I'm using Mini-PV when I make these and it fits the pins of all three perfectly, just doesn't have the lock or polarizing key functionality. I get around the lock issue by using high pressure contacts, so it's not going to fall out or anything, but there is a chance of it being installed backwards or on the wrong side the first time due to lack of polarizing key (the "bump"). In other situations that's extremely no bueno but in this case there's no way to damage anything. I just need to make some graphics illustrating exactly how to connect it.

As an aside, Mini-PV is an insanely expensive contact, just to re-assure anyone that it's not used for cost cutting or something. RA-SC1290 is also unfortunately tough to find right now, because of course it is.

Last edited:
Obviously, the answer is for @dos to make and sell another adapter to bridge from JST RA-2011 to Mini-PV. :P

Reactions: dos
If I could find RA anywhere I'd be doing a bunch of stuff with it but unfortunately it's one of those things that seems to be highly affected by the shortages

Back