What's new

CoolFox

Grand Master
Reaction score
So I've looked/fixed a couple of Beestorms and they all have 2 things on common. One, they are all corroded...something is leaking on the boards, especially in the vias and ceramic caps, so check yours. Two, Beestorms have either PEELs or GALS on the board. I've been seeing the GALS fail on them, but not the peels. I've dumped the peels and given them to Fluffy so he can fiddle around with them.

I extracted the equations and converted them to cupl. So far I didn't have a chance to test them, though. Let me know if anyone wants to try them.

Small update:
- My equations for FN U15 work.
- The extracted equations for FN U14 are similar to what I had come up myself by making a truth table.
- One pin seems to be configured for register use, but the equation for that doesn't seem to be dumped correctly.
- So my version of the FN U14 don't work, neither the extracted equations, or my equations derived from a truth table.
- While messing about with this I erased my original U14. Doh!

The good news:
- programming the peel files directly onto a lattice 22v10B produces a working U14. So my cartridge is resurrected! Yay!

I do have the datasheet of the peel, and I'll try to see where my mistake is. It would be nice to understand what the secret sauce is, so we may resurrect other carts in the future.

Another small update: I've got the fusemap for the combinatorial part decoded, it probably took more time to write a JED loader... I'll see if I can handle the bits for the macrocells tonight.

I ordered some 22V10 to test this over the weekend. Today I got the order, turned out they sent GAL20V8... Sigh. I don't blame them too much, as the laser etching was virtually unreadable, but they should really label things better.

Back