Student
Reaction score
Hello guys,
I know i'm a bad guys...:rolleyes:
Today i want to talk about how to create game conversions with pre PCM chip:
- Prog8m42
- ProgEP
- Cha32

I would love to create a games conversion of Magician Lord and Cyberlip but i dont have any Prog8m42 board.
Instead o have a lot of PROG TOP and PROG GSC and a lot of CHA42 or CHA256
Does anyone have any experience on converting this game on recent cards?
Reading the master's attempts I did not find an answer: http://www.wolfgangrobel.de/mvs/mlord.htm
Is all of this ethical and not offending anyone's sensibilities as these games are discontinued and not purchasable new?

Im trying to get a conversion of MagicianLord from GoalGoalGoal PROG BK1 and CHA 256, why ? Because a get it for 10 Euro and Magician lord is to expensive for my pocket ^^
This is rom setup:
  1. C1 from joined 1-3-5
  2. C2 from joined 2-4-6
And graphics work fine
For the audio the original rom is 262144 Byte CRC: 26259f0f from last romset but its too large for 27C1001 so i cut in 4 piece of 64k.
it would seem that the rom has been duplicated twice adding space at the end.
If i use only the first piece i cant hear any sound from v rom, so i have dupplicated the first part two twice in to fit the 27c1001 and it work i can hear the sound.
Next i join all VRom in one 27c160, removed NEO-ZMC and doing some jumper.
1681412316418.png

At a first test it would seem to work well, then using the emulator and the Unibios jukebox player I tested the integrity of all three vroms by extracting three sounds that can only be played if all three vroms are fully functional:
If you hear these addresses well, it means that the v roms are all working (at least that's how it appears on the emulator)

0x0047 = v22
0x0032 = v21
0x0081 = v11

Well going to test my physical copy I realized that the v22 v21 do not listen well and the sounds are missing.
Here we need the help of top experts, who knows if they will help us... How will they do when the physical copies break and the old PROG-EPs have to be replaced.. :rolleyes:

2.jpg

1.jpg

I already tried a Magician Lord convert on modern boards and doesn't work, maybe with extensive rom data manipulation it coukd be done, as earlier games had ADPCM A / B stored separately. C data also needs some work as there are some glitches.
Ultimately I used a puzzled donor.
Repro PROG-EP and CHA-32 board could be a solution as they don't use any SNK customs, only regular 74 logics. But repro work has to be done first :dead:

Repro PROG-EP and CHA-32 board could be a solution as they don't use any SNK customs, only regular 74 logics. But repro work has to be done first :dead:
There is some research on the bootleg customs here: https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/repo-mvs-cart-pcb-discussion.20048/
Unfortunately my time is extremely limited at the moment, so I'm not going to object if anyone else wants to do this.
The problem is that space is very tight if you want to use through-hole 74 logic for the customs, so the choice is either to use SMD or a small CPLD. It'll be easier if you just want to de-multiplex the ADPCM A/B bus.

Back