What's new

SEGASHIRO

Professional
Reaction score
Hey,

A primal rage board (the board itself is comically big) fell into my possession. :) The arcade version is much better than any of the ports by a wide margin.

However, reading up about the boards has led me to learn the original cabinets had their own audio and subwoofer solution and did not output audio across Jamma. They also map one of the action buttons to start. I didn't know Primal Rage required a dedicated board was not just a pure jamma one. ||

I found a couple videos on adapters. Does anyone have one or able to make one for me at a reasonable cost? I'd also be up for trading the board.

Thanks!

This is relevant to my interests.

I've wanted to add this game to my collection for a while. i had no idea the JAMMA edge was non standard :-/

For those that might be unaware: This is a game that isn't properly emulated in MAME due to some really "creative" security. the game runs but it somehow knows it's not the original PCB and as such it breaks the gameplay intentionally. From Wikia:

Blood would be "censored" in that it would be colored a yellowish color with a brown shading. Also, fatalities could not be performed and many special moves were not available, most notably characters with "Pouncing" moves couldn't land on the victim (Sauron's leaping bone bash, Diablo's pulverizer, Chaos' flying buttocks slam). Another emulation problem was you could no longer chain attacks which greatly decreased the chance of performing a combo.

Made one a LONG time ago, I'm surprised at the lack of love for this game as that was the only one I've ever made plus I've never really seen any talk about converting it to JAMMA standard.

What's the deal with the audio on these? is it on a separate connector or is just fed through the JAMMA edge un-amplified? I've seen a lot of these boards listed as having non-working audio but now I'm wondering if they're just testing them in a JAMMA cab and nothing comes out because of how it's pinned.

What's the deal with the audio on these? is it on a separate connector or is just fed through the JAMMA edge un-amplified? I've seen a lot of these boards listed as having non-working audio but now I'm wondering if they're just testing them in a JAMMA cab and nothing comes out because of how it's pinned.
From what I remember the pinout for the audio is a bit different. Speaker + for both speakers are on 10 and 11 and speaker - is on L and M.

So...you could make one up for me JNX?
I should be able to dude, you running it in a stereo cab or JAMMA?

I'm interested too... Would be playing on a HAS supergun to start, so having a conversion to jamma would be very cool.

Ok, they will be modified Atlas adapters though since that would be the easiest way since PR is essentially a JAMMA board with some slight changes.

Very cool, will PM to order one. Side note, thanks for the namco adapter, it just arrived and it's great.

I just acquired a Primal Rage board so I'm interested in a JAMMA adapter myself.

Are these designed to replace the filterboard that's on there now, or work in-addition-to? (this thing is big enough already.)

Yeh, they are pretty big aren't they?

I don't have a filter board on mine. JNX made me a modified Atlas board that routed the sound to the jamma edge. I added a few jumpers to make the button layout work better with my HAS supergun (you will see that Start ends up being your light punch, and the other attack buttons are shifted up) but I'm sure he'd do that too if you wanted. It works great, highly recommend it.

I'm not so worried about sound (since I'd prefer to just build a Stereo-Out adapter) as the button mapping

Start -> 1
1->2
2->4
3->5

I duplicated Start and 1 (so I jumped 17 to 22 but left 17->17 intact as well). Then I moved 22 to 23, 23 to 24, and 24 to 25. That puts my attacks on buttons 1,2,3,4 using my HAS supergun. I just wanted it consistent, even though on a 6 button setup that's not the actual primal rage layout.

I don't think there's anything from stopping you from doing this on a 6 button layout:

17->22
22->23
23->25
24->26

to get the regular PR layout 1,2,4,5. You can do the same for the 2nd player buttons. I guess it depends on what you usually use for 25/26 in your cab/gun. But hey I'm not gonna make one for you, I'll let JNX confirm :)

I did a write-up on my Primal Rage restoration here if you're interested. I was planning to modify the filter board as a jamma adapter, with this layout:

Player 1
PR 23 to Jamma 22 (A) - Fast Low
PR 24 to Jamma 23 (B) - Fierce Low
PR 17 to Jamma 24 (C) - Fast High - Also connected to Start
PR 22 to Jamma 25 (D) - Fierce High

Player 2
PR AA to Jamma Z (A) - Fast Low
PR BB to Jamma AA (B) - Fierce Low
PR U to Jamma BB (C) - Fast High - Also connected to Start
PR Z to Jamma CC (D) - Fierce High

I believe this gives a layout that works with a straight 4-button panel, or if you switch to 2x2 it matches the stock arrangement. I never tested it though, and no one ever checked my plan over. Was it on the right track? I like the filter board jamma mod route, since it mounts securely to the giant frame already.

Thanks for the advice. I plan on using this board in cabs with a 6-button layout so 1,2,4,5 is ideal.

I hadn't considered modifying the original filter board, that's not a bad idea and I shouldn't have to cut any traces either if I use the components on the board as jumpers.

I'm currently in the process of designing one for fab with the audio circuit for JAMMA cabs (will have jumpers for stereo bypass for cabs that support it), all the button redirects as well.
Sweet! Sign me up when it's ready to buy :)

Could you give it a couple of holes so it can mount where the filter board attaches to the frame?

I'm currently in the process of designing one for fab with the audio circuit for JAMMA cabs (will have jumpers for stereo bypass for cabs that support it), all the button redirects as well.
Sweet! Sign me up when it's ready to buy :)
Could you give it a couple of holes so it can mount where the filter board attaches to the frame?
I would need measurements for hole placement and if it also has to be the same size as the filter board to line up.

Back