What's new

rcboosted

Enthusiast
Joined
Jan 17, 2021
Messages
190
Reaction score
77
Location
Los Angeles
that should be correct then.

if you want to confirm you can re-dump after you've burned the ROM, then re-combine and compared against the original file.
I've been doing pretty much that already. I read the EPROM back, and I compared the .a file to the original .a file. The only part that I didn't do is recombine to compare to original. Will do that later today on a new EPROM as a test.
 

rcboosted

Enthusiast
Joined
Jan 17, 2021
Messages
190
Reaction score
77
Location
Los Angeles
ok, I just burned the V1 split files to a 322, read it back, each part compared and match to original part. Then I re-combined the parts I read back into a file, and md5sum is the same as the original file. So the split and burning method I'm using should be ok. Maybe I'll swap the ZMC chip from another CHA board since it's quicker than doing all the EPROMs again. Nothing else to try, everything has been checked out and tested I think.
 

rcboosted

Enthusiast
Joined
Jan 17, 2021
Messages
190
Reaction score
77
Location
Los Angeles
More useless updates, I replaced the ZMC chip on the CHA256 board with another, of course it made no difference at all. Then I thought maybe I'll try the V-ROM file from MAME 2003 that had bad graphics. Turns on the V-ROM did not get updated until 2010, so I used MAME 2010 version of V1 ROM. No difference. The game of course plays the correct track in MAME under UNIBIOS 4.0 for track 0x785. I keep thinking back on maybe what I've missed, but I can't think of anything.

Recap of everything:
First started with PROGBK1 #1 with a borrowed LS74 from PROGBK1 #2, used MAME 2003 rom, got bad graphics, replaced C1-C6 from latest FBA ROM set on CHA256 #1, replaced V1, graphics are good, but sound is bad. Burned new V1 and V2 (V1-V4 in EPROMS), still bad, burned M1 rom, still bad, replaced LS74 from Mouser, still bad, used previous V1-V4 EPROMs on PROGBK1 #3, (effectively different PCM chip) still bad, burned new P1 and SP2, still bad, then today I burned MAME 2010 V1, still bad. Every component that I know of that has anything to do with sound has been swapped 1 at a time at this point (A & B test to identify the culprit). Then I swapped to CHA256 #2 board tonight just to see if there's anything else on the board that might affect M1 ROM or whatever else it needs. Of course as per usual, this did not fix it. While I was at it, I did dump the C-ROMs, M1-ROM and S1-ROM, recombined them and compared to the original, which they all matched.

At this point I think I've ran through all iterations of possibilities, replaced every part 1 at a time, so maybe time to give up? I feel like I'm just wasting everyone's space and time here now. Might just dump the V and P ROMs tomorrow just for completeness.

*edit*
dumped the entire cart and ran it under MAME. No sound issue.
 
Last edited:

XianXi

Professional
Joined
Jul 21, 2015
Messages
414
Reaction score
351
Location
Honolulu, HI
If it were me I'd replace the V roms with 2 x 27c322s and swap the jumpers like the original. Less chips are easier to diagnose.
27C322s are 16bit only while V roms run only in 8bit mode. Also Vroms when split are sequential meaning V1 when split becomes V1 and V2, not like C roms where when split alternate.
 

rcboosted

Enthusiast
Joined
Jan 17, 2021
Messages
190
Reaction score
77
Location
Los Angeles
27C322s are 16bit only while V roms run only in 8bit mode. Also Vroms when split are sequential meaning V1 when split becomes V1 and V2, not like C roms where when split alternate.
Holy crap that was it! Thank you @XianXi! I swapped the position of EPROMs for V3 and V2 and the sound issue is gone. I mean, I did swap out every single part and verified every single EPROMs to make sure they weren't bad, turns out it's just the splitting. :( Looking back, the pictures from Mike McBike that I used as reference for the jumpers showed it clear as day. V1 = v1.1 V2 = v1.2, it was right there. I guess I won't make that mistake again. :) Thanks again XianXi. Also thank you everyone else who helped me troubleshoot this as I stumbled along.
 

rcboosted

Enthusiast
Joined
Jan 17, 2021
Messages
190
Reaction score
77
Location
Los Angeles
wow... nice catch!

I'm pissed I didn't catch it when you stated that's exactly what you did here:
Totally forgot I was going to do this swap too just in case. Got too caught up on making sure the adapter was working properly and the programming wasn't corrupt etc. Lots were happening at the same time lol.
 

XianXi

Professional
Joined
Jul 21, 2015
Messages
414
Reaction score
351
Location
Honolulu, HI
Holy crap that was it! Thank you @XianXi! I swapped the position of EPROMs for V3 and V2 and the sound issue is gone. I mean, I did swap out every single part and verified every single EPROMs to make sure they weren't bad, turns out it's just the splitting. :( Looking back, the pictures from Mike McBike that I used as reference for the jumpers showed it clear as day. V1 = v1.1 V2 = v1.2, it was right there. I guess I won't make that mistake again. :) Thanks again XianXi. Also thank you everyone else who helped me troubleshoot this as I stumbled along.
No problem dude, I've made over 200 Ironclad carts back in the day, I went through the same stuff.
 
Top