What's new

ShootTheCore

Legendary
Reaction score
I've had a Taito G-Net board sitting in the repair queue for a few months, and I finally tackled it this weekend.

This board had an issue where Coin 1 was shorting to Ground, causing games to constantly reboot with a Coin Error message. Enabling DIP Switch 4 lets you access the Service Menu at least.
IMG_1075.jpg

G-Net uses a Sony ZN-2 for the base board. I know @Hammy does a lot of work on this hardware, so I reached out to him early on. He told me that the 74LS253 TTL logic chips that handle control inputs fail frequently.

I traced Coin 1 from the JAMMA edge, through a few vias, resistors, and capacitors, and finally landed on Pin 3 of IC558.
IMG_1076.jpg

Sure enough, when I tested this pin for continuity with ground, it beeped through on the multimeter. None of the other 74LS253 chips did for the same pin.

I carefully desoldered the failed 253 TTL, and swapped in a fresh one.
IMG_1077.jpgIMG_1078.jpg

Now the Coin 1 input registers correctly. I played a full round of G Darius to test things out, then left it to soak test overnight.
IMG_1083.jpg

Happily, everything still functions correctly one day later. Successful repair! :thumbsup:

stj

Grand Master
Reaction score
nice, but why the capton tape?
the surrounding parts wont be effected by the heat - just get a bit of a reflow :)

ShootTheCore

Legendary
Reaction score
and get blown away without the tape if you work with hot air.................
Exactly. I’m using hot air to evenly melt the solder on the SMD TTL, and I don’t want any of those tiny nearby SMD resistors and caps to shift.

stj

Grand Master
Reaction score
lol - thats why you turn the flow up and down :)