What's new

Arthrimus

Champion
Reaction score
This project is the culmination of the concepts that I played with in this thread over in the ideas section for a SEGA equivalent to my Vewlix Console I/O. I've gone through 3 hardware revisions over the past several months, and I've finally landed on something that I'm happy with.

The SEGA JVS Console I/O
SEGA-Console-I-O_1.png
The SEGA JVS Console I/O is a hardware device that connects to the control panel wiring harness of your SEGA JVS equipped arcade cabinets (such as the NAOMI Universal, NET CITY, NEW NET CITY, Lindbergh, and from the looks of it the newer PRas 3 cabinets) to a pair of Brook style controller PCBs with no need to hack up any of your cabinet's stock wiring. This is a direct passthrough adapter to your stock JVS I/O and both are meant to be installed simultaneously so you can easily switch between JVS and Consoles/PC without having to physically swap I/O boards. This is super nice with SEGA cabinets since they tend not to be designed for ease of access to the I/O board. The Brook boards are connected using a pair of 20 Pin IDC cable and can be placed wherever is convenient inside of your cabinet using adhesive PCB feet. There is also a 1ft Touchpad button/R3/L3 cable included so those buttons will function when connected to a compatible Brook board.

The other features are identical to my Vewlix console I/O and are as follows:

• Adapts the SEGA JVS control panel wiring harness to 2 20 pin headers for connecting Brook or other compatible arcade controller PCBs.
  • Home/Select/Touchpad/L3/R3 button emulation via button combinations.
  • Custom button mapping of the coin switch on the coin mechanism.
  • 6 pin JST XH auxiliary wiring harness connector for connecting home and select buttons to an external button panel.
  • 2X 4 pin JST PH connectors for wiring the touchpad emulation to your player 1 and 2 Brook fighting boards.
  • Passes inputs through to the stock JVS I/O so they can both be used at the same time.
  • Diodes on the power lines to isolate the 2 controller PCBs from one another.
  • Diodes on all control lines to prevent the console I/O from interfering with the stock SEGA JVS I/O.
Button Combos for Select/Home/Touchpad button emulation:
  • Select = B1 + B2 + Start
  • Home = B2 + B3 + Start
  • Touchpad Button = B1 + B2 + B3 + Start
  • L3 = B4 +B5 + Start
  • R3 = B5 + B6 + Start
Coin Mechanism Buttonmapping:
You can map the coin mechanism to trigger a button press by pressing and holding one of the following button combos while powering on your Console I/O.
  • Start = Start
  • Select = B1 + B2
  • Home = B2 + B3
  • Touchpad Button = B1 + B2 + B3
  • L3 = B4 + B5
  • R3 = B5 + B6
Other Functions:
Coin Counter control. The PCB is wired so that the coin counter will properly iterate any time the coin mechanism is triggered.
Home/Select/Touchpad/L3/R3 emulation enable/disable. You can toggle the button emulation function on or off by pressing and holding B1+B2+B3+Start while powering on the Console I/O

Purchasing:
These are available in small quantities from my shop right now. Priced at $44.99 for the complete kit with Console I/O and all necessary wiring.

SEGA-Console-I-O_3_1.png

This is awesome, @Arthrimus. Thanks for the effort required to make these available.

I believe that this would also work in conjunction with your Vewlix SEGA I/O Adapter Kit (which I hope may again be available soon) in order to easily connect my Sega I/O equipped Vewlix simultaneously to the Sega I/O and the Brook boards. Does that seem possible or is there some complication I'm overlooking. Apologies if it's not possible for some obvious reason I've not considered.

Regardless, thanks for yet another great project.

This is awesome, @Arthrimus. Thanks for the effort required to make these available.

I believe that this would also work in conjunction with your Vewlix SEGA I/O Adapter Kit (which I hope may again be available soon) in order to easily connect my Sega I/O equipped Vewlix simultaneously to the Sega I/O and the Brook boards. Does that seem possible or is there some complication I'm overlooking. Apologies if it's not possible for some obvious reason I've not considered.

Regardless, thanks for yet another great project.
Yes, this would work with the SEGA I/O adapter. without issue. The SEGA I/O adapter will return soon. Probably after the next JAMMAizer round is shipped.

Snagged one just now along with a Vewlix to Sega I/O. Pumped to begin running this sweet setup. Thanks a ton, @Arthrimus!

Back